2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

PaulFCB

Banned
That's clear because we are the home team :cool:

And let's face it, we kinda lost them wearing this away color :lol:

Thierry

Well, I think modern football has touched and graced both sides of the Continent and it may have done so differently but with similar end-results. Yes, Man.U has physical advantage in the modern game with impetus on speed, passing and quick counter movements.
This is rather scary just speaking about it, not mentioning Nani and Valencia on the wings.

Yes, FCB has some stubborn fills of ball retention and malicious ball movements just before the 18 yard and Xavi/Iniesta are responsible in that department. So I guess that our ball retention will absorb most of the "play-pressure" from Man.U that would otherwise prove to be too hard against us if we fail to hold midfield.

But I think this is the crux of this final competition without any additives to it, to determining leverage and play climate setting at the Finals, by admitting that both sides are equally capable of upsetting one another. It will be up to who "cracks first" on structure and play composure throughout the match, and of course with a bit of luck from whatever happens on the day.

PaulFCB

Banned
I actually like its design and the color isn't bad, I like the 3 year cycle with worth mentioning I always feel like hating them, later getting used to them and at the end loving them ( like 2010/11 away :p ).

Unbiased United

Well, I think modern football has touched and graced both sides of the Continent and it may have done so differently but with similar end-results. Yes, Man.U has physical advantage in the modern game with impetus on speed, passing and quick counter movements.
This is rather scary just speaking about it, not mentioning Nani and Valencia on the wings.

Yes, FCB has some stubborn fills of ball retention and malicious ball movements just before the 18 yard and Xavi/Iniesta are responsible in that department. So I guess that our ball retention will absorb most of the "play-pressure" from Man.U that would otherwise prove to be too hard against us if we fail to hold midfield.

But I think this is the crux of this final competition without any additives to it, to determining leverage and play climate setting at the Finals, by admitting that both sides are equally capable of upsetting one another. It will be up to who "cracks first" on structure and play composure throughout the match, and of course with a bit of luck from whatever happens on the day.

When it boils down to it your exactly right, I think thats a really good summary of this situation! :)

P

PhilS

I'd love to know how much of the PL you actually really watch to make that assumption. The Premier league and La liga are the top two leagues in the world, that is where modern football is played at its finest. If United play it, its modern football, end of story. Do you not realsie what fine tuned athletes this United team (along with all the top players in europe) are. Barca may well win but it won't be because they tire United out, that i can assure you.

http://firstain.com/index.php/2011/04/22/manchester-united-declared-worlds-most-valuable-team/
See this link, thats where modern football is at.

I love watching EPL, I wish the weaker teams in La Liga would rise to the occasion as frequently as the weaker teams in the EPL. This year, it's been a lot of fun seeing so many of the better EPL teams go through good periods and bad periods. Man U deserves to win the EPL, they have been the most consistent, the squad is incredibly deep, great manager. If I was going to add any player in the world to the Barca team, it would be Rooney. Every game, he makes some pass that just takes my breath away.

Where the EPL tends to be behind the times is in distributing the ball from the back, defensive effort from the attacking players, control of the ball in midfield, and way too much crossing from the corners for headers. Because the EPL refs have this concept of fouls that are not fouls, your league has gotten way too rough. This has led to way too many big, rugged players on the field. They are succeptible to quicker, more skillful players from faster leagues.

You'll see, in the second half at Wembley. Chasing around all the Barca passes will grind Man U down, just like it grinds down all opponents.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
It's all about work-rate. It depends how hard Man Utd can, and are willing to work. The great thing about being Barca is that at some stage in the game, the other team is going to be knackered and we won't be, therefore we'll find it easier to pick the opposition off. When we have lost, it's been down to short periods of intense pressure.

Unbiased United

I love watching EPL, I wish the weaker teams in La Liga would rise to the occasion as frequently as the weaker teams in the EPL. This year, it's been a lot of fun seeing so many of the better EPL teams go through good periods and bad periods. Man U deserves to win the EPL, they have been the most consistent, the squad is incredibly deep, great manager. If I was going to add any player in the world to the Barca team, it would be Rooney. Every game, he makes some pass that just takes my breath away.

Where the EPL tends to be behind the times is in distributing the ball from the back, defensive effort from the attacking players, control of the ball in midfield, and way too much crossing from the corners for headers. Because the EPL refs have this concept of fouls that are not fouls, your league has gotten way too rough. This has led to way too many big, rugged players on the field. They are succeptible to quicker, more skillful players from faster leagues.

You'll see, in the second half at Wembley. Chasing around all the Barca passes will grind Man U down, just like it grinds down all opponents.

Fair enough its your opinion, but I disagree. I watch every single United game, they could run around on that field all day, its what they train 8 hours a day for. Giggs ran 12 miles against Shalke and didn't break a sweat, he's 37, but such is Uniteds training regime, its not a problem for them. Just so you know, our league hasn't got 'too rough', other leagues have got softer, with pickier refs. In fact even old pro's here, think our game is too soft these days. We invented this sport remember. Football is a man's sport, not that you would think it sometimes. I used to play, at a decent level too (even had trials as a kid for my very own beloved Man U) and the physical contact is a part (and an enjoyable one at that) of the game.

Also if you watched United, you'd see we dont 'chase' thats what kids do on the playground. If we are pressed back, we'll try to soak up the pressure and use our blistering counter attack speed to try and cause damage.

It's all about work-rate. It depends how hard Man Utd can, and are willing to work. The great thing about being Barca is that at some stage in the game, the other team is going to be knackered and we won't be, therefore we'll find it easier to pick the opposition off. When we have lost, it's been down to short periods of intense pressure.

Barca won't tire United. Sure, you might beat us, but it will be due to talent and skill, not because we are tired.

B

barcaroxx

this match is a very promising prospect..one thing is fr certain..wembley is in for an attacking masterclass from barca, will it come frm the other side is in the hands of a man with a ferocious chewing capability....the primary thing fr barca to understand is that for manu size of their defenders does not mean lack of speed, vidic and ferdinand have a lot of steam in them and the barca attack should be at their speedy best....one thing fr manu to understand is that barca is not only messi, xavi and iniesta...sure u need players like them to make a difference but take ure eyes off villa and pedro and they will run all over you... Njoy a gr8 match evrybody regardless of the outcome...forever barca\m/

Barcilliant

I think Utd have a slight edge-

1)They are a better TEAM this time-they had better individuals last time but this team is more compact and knows how to win.
2)Ol red face will not make the mistake of trying to attack. He will play a defensive game but not park the bus stuff. Utd are great at counter attacking AND TAKING THEIR CHANCES-something we could learn from them.
3)Their defence is very solid-better then RM's by FAR.
4)They are playing at HOME-they know Wembley-it will feel familiar to them.
5)I feel the ref will give UTD home team advantage and they will get away with alot of fouls.
6)Our attack is still lacking form (apart from Messi)Villa really needs to start scoring -1 goal from 12, 13?? games is horrible for ANY striker but for a Barca striker it is reason to bench him. If Bojan wasnt injured and Affellay wasnt so green Villa wouldnt be playing.
7)Our team is lacking freshness and speed. We dont have the luxury of rotating our players PLUS we have played 4 classicos. When we lack that freshness we tend to play at a slow pace with alot of sideways and back passes-doing nothing to press forward.
8)I think Alves may actually be a liability-in our 09 final Sylvinho and Puyol were very disciplined and generally stayed back. With Alves looking to get forward we may get caught out. People say Man U lack creativity but I've seen a few games of theirs this season and it only takes ONE or TWO passes from their midfield to score. Very direct and fast attacking team.

One more thing-Utd always have alot of luck-look at 99 and 08 as proof. 99 were owned by Bayern who hit the post, woodwork but scored 2 crappy goals and won. 08 Chelsea were slightly better team-had chance to win but good ol JT misses the penalty kick to win the CL.

DONT UNDERESTIMATE UTD-they have alot going for them especially LUCK.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Barca won't tire United. Sure, you might beat us, but it will be due to talent and skill, not because we are tired.
No doubt Man Utd are amongst the fittest teams in Europe, like many of the top teams in England, but it happens to everyone who plays us. Remember it causes mental fatigue, just as much as it does physically.

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
I think Utd have a slight edge-

1)They are a better TEAM this time-they had better individuals last time but this team is more compact and knows how to win.
2)Ol red face will not make the mistake of trying to attack. He will play a defensive game but not park the bus stuff. Utd are great at counter attacking AND TAKING THEIR CHANCES-something we could learn from them.
3)Their defence is very solid-better then RM's by FAR.
4)They are playing at HOME-they know Wembley-it will feel familiar to them.
5)I feel the ref will give UTD home team advantage and they will get away with alot of fouls.
6)Our attack is still lacking form (apart from Messi)Villa really needs to start scoring -1 goal from 12, 13?? games is horrible for ANY striker but for a Barca striker it is reason to bench him. If Bojan wasnt injured and Affellay wasnt so green Villa wouldnt be playing.
7)Our team is lacking freshness and speed. We dont have the luxury of rotating our players PLUS we have played 4 classicos. When we lack that freshness we tend to play at a slow pace with alot of sideways and back passes-doing nothing to press forward.
8)I think Alves may actually be a liability-in our 09 final Sylvinho and Puyol were very disciplined and generally stayed back. With Alves looking to get forward we may get caught out. People say Man U lack creativity but I've seen a few games of theirs this season and it only takes ONE or TWO passes from their midfield to score. Very direct and fast attacking team.

One more thing-Utd always have alot of luck-look at 99 and 08 as proof. 99 were owned by Bayern who hit the post, woodwork but scored 2 crappy goals and won. 08 Chelsea were slightly better team-had chance to win but good ol JT misses the penalty kick to win the CL.

DONT UNDERESTIMATE UTD-they have alot going for them especially LUCK.

on your villa point you are nuts if u are suggesting we bench him..........it is the same exact problem with eto in 09 and at the end of the day u do not bench your star striker in a must win game just because he has not been scoring as frequently as he is use to....eto went through the same stretch in 09 and people were saying bench him then. no way in hell u are benching david villa in a freaking final

Home of Barca Fans