2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

Unbiased United

I just rewatched the 2009 final and even though we seem to have a makeshift defence, i feel it was a good thing tactically..

Rooney would have been exploiting the space that Alves leaves behind so i do think it might have been a blessing in disguise to have Puyol play there who is defensivly much better. Toure and Pique have everything to stop Ronaldo and Sylvinho was solid and showed his experience.

This time around, Valencia/Nani are wingers with pace and are hard stop so i can definately see Utd getting chances from our fullbacks (especialy Alves) being too high up. Maybe Pep will tell Alves, like in the semis, to be more defensive and not bomb up as much.

Interesting. I might do the same before the final, but then again I don't know if as a United fan,I could sit through it again Lol.

I doubt it will be Nani though, If anyone watched United yesterday Park was superb yet again. He will get the thumbs up ahead of Nani.

Panna

Every time i see Parks play i still surprised,the high level of him keeps going and going for years now.

barcaboy15

I agree with the other guys, really good post. I don't agree hundred percent with everything but your points are valid and reasonable. I don't thnk Braca are 'far superior'. Not taking away anything from this superb Barca team, but I think its hard for anyone to be that much better than this United team, which have impressed me the second half of this season as much as any United team has done previously. That said, the game isn't to far off now and I am either going to be proved correct, that should we play our best we can match Barca. Or (and I'll be the first to hold my hands up) we lose and Barca can then rightly claim to be the greatest team on Earth.
I agree with your comments on our midfield, its simply not in the same league as Barca's is, but we have bundles of talent elsewhere, and to be honest even our midfield, if its Giggs and Fletcher, or Giggs and Carrick.... well its not exactly terrible is it.

I can't wait for this! ...Will messi run our defence ragged, or will they stand strong, and prove they are amongst the best in the world. Can barca cope with our counter attack speed?....or will we even have chance to show it, under the pressure Barca could keep us under!....Will Rooney and the 'little pea' prove too dangerous for even the great Barca, or will Villa and Pedro (?) do the same to United?

One thing is for sure, we can talk about it as much as we want (and I've been doing a lot of it Lol), but we are gonna find out for real soon! :D

Haha, your second last paragraph is like a great advert for the game!

And I'm not trying to be argumentative as I've just read a couple of your previous posts and despite some questionable player related opinions (;)) you do make a lot of good points, and I respect that - but I do have to say that overall this Barca team is far superior to Man Utd, not taking anything away from Man Utd as I think people actually underestimate their current team which is a very strong, organised, hard working unit, but the current Barca team really is that good that they are far superior to anyone else at the moment.:)

Anyway, as you said - whatever we say won't affect the outcome and whatever happens I'm sure it'll be a great, entertaining, attacking football match.

Last edited:

Unbiased United

Haha, your second last paragraph is like a great advert for the game!

And I'm not trying to be argumentative as I've just read a couple of your previous posts and despite some questionable player related opinions (;)) you do make a lot of good points, and I respect that - but I do have to say that overall this Barca team is far superior to Man Utd, not taking anything away from Man Utd as I think people actually underestimate their current team which is a very strong, organised, hard working unit, but the current Barca team really is that good that they are far superior to anyone else at the moment.:)

Anyway, as you said - whatever we say won't affect the outcome and whatever happens I'm sure it'll be a great, entertaining, attacking football match.

I respect your opinion because your not being arrogant about it, and we are all entitled to that.

To try and explain how i see things let me say I see Barca as maybe a 98 or 99% complete team and United as say a 95% (only missing a world class player in the middle).

I just don't get how people can say 'far superior'. We have won our league, just has you have and reached the final, just has you have. Basically we have both beaten whatever has been put in front of us this season (and for the second half, with much style and skill), and until the result of the final is decided, the best team in the world title is up in the air.

See it from my point of view, the team I support has just easily beaten its closest dometic rival (for the third time in a month or so). Our home record this season reads, won -17, drawn-1 , lost -0. We have just beaten the team which knocked out last years winners with a full reserve squad out. That on top of the fact we are 6 points clear at the top and in the CL final, as well as it being our 3rd in four years.

Come on guys be reasonable if it was on the other foot, you would be as confident as I am that we are either as good as anyone else, or certainly not far behind....would you not?

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Sounds like some of you United lot have swung by for a nice pat on the back, wasting your time really

Anyone who has watched United play in the last couple of months don't need to be reminded how credible a threat they pose for the Final...Anyone who has watched Barca for the last few years know they are almost always a credible threat to be unstoppable...Something will give on the 28th, makes it a sweeter match that way

barcaboy15

I respect your opinion because your not being arrogant about it, and we are all entitled to that.

To try and explain how i see things let me say I see Barca as maybe a 98 or 99% complete team and United as say a 95% (only missing a world class player in the middle).

I just don't get how people can say 'far superior'. We have won our league, just has you have and reached the final, just has you have. Basically we have both beaten whatever has been put in front of us this season (and for the second half, with much style and skill), and until the result of the final is decided, the best team in the world title is up in the air.

See it from my point of view, the team I support has just easily beaten its closest dometic rival (for the third time in a month or so). Our home record this season reads, won -17, drawn-1 , lost -0. We have just beaten the team which knocked out last years winners with a full reserve squad out. That on top of the fact we are 6 points clear at the top and in the CL final, as well as it being our 3rd in four years.

Come on guys be reasonable if it was on the other foot, you would be as confident as I am that we are either as good as anyone else, or certainly not far behind....would you not?

I am not disputing Man Utd's quality, as they really are a very good team but I really think if you look at it objectively then you'll see how they're not really on the same level overall as this Barca team, believed by many to be THE best club team of all time.

And yes, you've won 17 out of 18 home matches (we've won 16/18) but you've won 5 out of 18 away matches (we've won 13/16 away matches).

And I fully agree, that despite a very shaky start and problems with Rooney etc that Man Utd have really hit their stride and are deserved league winners this year, however their season can't really be seriously compared to Barca's - who are on 91 points with 3 games to go, who have scored 91 goals while conceding 19, who destroyed the most expensive team ever assembled in the history of football 5-0 in probably the best ever single team performance (whilst starting 8 academy players), who had 3 of those academy players crowned the world's best, 2nd best, and 3rd best players, who are in their second final in three years (losing out by one goal the other year), who will be crowned league champions for the third year in a row, I could go on but you get the point...;)

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
BTW, Turkish Airlines (Who has sponsorship deals with both clubs) is painting a plane in full Blaugrana colors for the club's flight for the match - free of cost and not part of the sponsorship agreement...According to the company's President, Topcu:

“We are going to have the airplane painted in Barca’s colours, of blue and red. The flight to London does not come into the sponsorship agreement that we have with Barca, but because of having reached the final we will offer the club the possibility of flying in this plane without any extra cost.

We are very proud that they have reached the final.”

And, yet fans from Barcelona cannot fly Turkish Airlines to London from Barcelona due to Spanish aviation rules (aka monopolizing)

Unbiased United

Sounds like some of you United lot have swung by for a nice pat on the back, wasting your time really

Anyone who has watched United play in the last couple of months don't need to be reminded how credible a threat they pose for the Final...Anyone who has watched Barca for the last few years know they are almost always a credible threat to be unstoppable...Something will give on the 28th, makes it a sweeter match that way

If thats how it seems I apologise, because its not the case. Perhaps i should go and chat on a United forum, but everyone would probably be agreeing with me, and there's no fun in that Lol. Not looking for a 'pat on the back though' but I will give it a rest with the United talk now, I am on a Barca forum afterall I suppose.

I am not disputing Man Utd's quality, as they really are a very good team but I really think if you look at it objectively then you'll see how they're not really on the same level overall as this Barca team, believed by many to be THE best club team of all time.

And yes, you've won 17 out of 18 home matches (we've won 16/18) but you've won 5 out of 18 away matches (we've won 13/16 away matches).

And I fully agree, that despite a very shaky start and problems with Rooney etc that Man Utd have really hit their stride and are deserved league winners this year, however their season can't really be seriously compared to Barca's - who are on 91 points with 3 games to go, who have scored 91 goals while conceding 19, who destroyed the most expensive team ever assembled in the history of football 5-0 in probably the best ever single team performance (whilst starting 8 academy players), who had 3 of those academy players crowned the world's best, 2nd best, and 3rd best players, who are in their second final in three years (losing out by one goal the other year), who will be crowned league champions for the third year in a row, I could go on but you get the point...;)

I do get the point, and I agree, very impressive. I only didn't mention United's away record because I am hoping this final will be more like an home game for us, but perhaps that still won't be enough!

Anyway, has i said I'll calm all this pro United chat down a notch or two now.

Good luck to both teams and may the best team win! :)

Last edited:

barcaboy15

If thats how it seems I apologise, because its not the case. Perhaps i should go and chat on a United forum, but everyone would probably be agreeing with me, and there's no fun in that Lol. Not looking for a 'pat on the back though' but I will give it a rest with the United talk now, I am on a Barca forum afterall I suppose.

I do get the point, and I agree, very impressive. I only didn't mention United's away record because I am hoping this final will be more like an home game for us, but perhaps that still won't be enough!

Anyway, has i said I'll calm all this pro United chat down a notch or two now.

Good luck to both teams and may the best team win! :)

Hey, no problem at all. You've been fine I think, no problem with voicing your opinion (though it was sometimes a little misguided in my view;)) and I think to be fair people have reacted to you well? Not that you've done anything wrong but as you can imagine there are a lot of trolls who come on, Arsenal fans come to mind in particular!, so people naturally assume you're one, though you're not:)

So, why don't you stick around? You'll have fun here;)

We welcome fans from other good teams (so that means no Arsenal and Real fans)

PS - Sorry for rambling on.

Bilal Khan

Tito > Mou
Unbiased you are a very good poster, with reasonable points.
may i know your real name please cuz it looks inappropriate to call u unbiased :)

Unbiased United

Unbiased you are a very good poster, with reasonable points.
may i know your real name please cuz it looks inappropriate to call u unbiased :)

Lol...Unbiased is fine, but if its better for you I'm Lee. :)

Hey, no problem at all. You've been fine I think, no problem with voicing your opinion (though it was sometimes a little misguided in my view;)) and I think to be fair people have reacted to you well? Not that you've done anything wrong but as you can imagine there are a lot of trolls who come on, Arsenal fans come to mind in particular!, so people naturally assume you're one, though you're not:)

So, why don't you stick around? You'll have fun here;)

We welcome fans from other good teams (so that means no Arsenal and Real fans)

PS - Sorry for rambling on.

Thanks guys. Yeah most people here have been great to be honest. I will stick around but probably just post a bit less ( I think 100 messages in two days is a little excessive! :D ).

W

woobie

You need an avatar, Unbiased.:) I suggest a photo of Peter Schmeichel.

Home of Barca Fans