2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

P

PhilS

For the combination of level of play and style of play, Rooney and Park would be the Man U players that would integrate easiest onto Barca. Rooney would start for every single team on the planet.

Comparing Puyol and Pique to Ferdinand and Vidic is a complement to both pairs, but they are difficult to rank because the style of play is quite different. To play on the Barca back line, a lot of speed is required, which both Pique and Puyol have. The Barca system leads to defenders being exposed on breakaways. The Man U system does not expose individual defenders as much, so speed is not as important. Barca defenders have to been extremely good ball handlers and passers, no other team asks for this on the back line. EPL defenders have to excel at set plays and headers, Barca players are not tested as much on these. Man U defenders have to be consistent for much of each game, Barca defenders have to be brilliant for small parts of every game.

Unbiased United

For the combination of level of play and style of play, Rooney and Park would be the Man U players that would integrate easiest onto Barca. Rooney would start for every single team on the planet.

Comparing Puyol and Pique to Ferdinand and Vidic is a complement to both pairs, but they are difficult to rank because the style of play is quite different. To play on the Barca back line, a lot of speed is required, which both Pique and Puyol have. The Barca system leads to defenders being exposed on breakaways. The Man U system does not expose individual defenders as much, so speed is not as important. Barca defenders have to been extremely good ball handlers and passers, no other team asks for this on the back line. EPL defenders have to excel at set plays and headers, Barca players are not tested as much on these. Man U defenders have to be consistent for much of each game, Barca defenders have to be brilliant for small parts of every game.

Excellent post! :)

Well thought out, and knowledgeable too.... hope you stick around on here! :)

E

estranged

well said, your posts are always great to read.

just to add, pique for me stands out because he has immense technique, i wold say puyols style is somewhat similar to man u or epl defenders but pique is great on the ball, how many defenders score goals like this:D

Last edited:

Unbiased United

well said, your posts are always great to read.

just to add, pique for me stands out because he has immense technique, i wold say puyols style is somewhat similar to man u or epl defenders but pique is great on the ball, how many defenders score goals like this:D

I remember seeing this goal... was like 'WTF!!!' Lol :D

Great goal.

cule19

The only thing I don't like about this game is that Man U don't have C. Ronaldo anymore, I feel that what gave us a small but considerable edge on the 08-09 final was that Ronaldo tried to do everything by himself, depriving the team of better chances. I guess we'll have to pay in some more to UEFA and talk a bit to UNICEF to make it through as champions

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Rio and Vidic are the best CB partnership in the World. individually they're both superior to Piqué and Puyol (although in big games Puyol is the best of all 4 of them - there's no one I'd rather have in a big game than El Capi).

HOWEVER in a league like Spain's, Vidic's style would be wholly unsuited and he would find himself massively exposed, as Samuel was for Madrid. for La Liga, Piqué and Puyol are the perfect CB partnership for sure, which is why they do so well for us.

Rio is what Piqué wants to be when he grows up. now, Piqué's not very far behind, but Rio oozes class.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
You almost made me spill coffee on myself there, thanks.

much obliged.

only reason Rio's better is because he doesn't need someone alongside him to shout at him and keep him focused. but Piqué has Rio's fingerprints all over his game. it's note even funny how much he picked up.

but frankly, that Piqué is even in the discussion is miraculous. Rio is 31 (?) Vidic is 30 (?) Puyol is 33... Piqué is 24!

if only we could find a young Puyol...

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
much obliged.

only reason Rio's better is because he doesn't need someone alongside him to shout at him and keep him focused. but Piqué has Rio's fingerprints all over his game. it's note even funny how much he picked up.

but frankly, that Piqué is even in the discussion is miraculous. Rio is 31 (?) Vidic is 30 (?) Puyol is 33... Piqué is 24!

if only we could find a young Puyol...

Well yes, Rio is a superior defender than Pique. More composed, more mature, more focused. But Pique's attacking skill is already superior. Rio is one of the more technically skilled English defenders and is very composed on the ball, but Pique is a technically superior player.

Home of Barca Fans