2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I deleted the foul part. Canto with an infraction.
Best use that report button as mods aren't always online to keep an eye.

Superfly

Banned
Yorke (Ex Man U): "Barcelona's defence is arguably the weakest part of their team and United will try to expose that as much as possible."

What do you guys think about this?

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Well Barca don't really have a weak area tbh it's certaintly not the Midfield, I'd say he's not far off with his comments as Pique has looked a bit shaky at times this season but then against there is Puyol, Abidal & alves and they are pretty damn solid

P

PhilS

Yorke (Ex Man U): "Barcelona's defence is arguably the weakest part of their team and United will try to expose that as much as possible."

The defence does not always look good, but their results speak for themselves. Gave up 2 to Arsenal at Emirates, gave up 2 to Hercules, gave up no more than 1 in any other game that counted the entire season.

The goalkeeping, midfield and attack have all been superb, while the defense has only been excellent, so maybe Yorke is right. Playing for a scoreless draw against Barca is just stupid, so you do have to try to score against them.

M

MessiBarca

I think Yorke is not right with making those comments, People say our defence is bad, I dont agree at all. This season we have played the majority of games without our 4 regular ( King Eric, Capt Carlas, Mr.waka waka, and I will never get tired of running(alves)), and who ever has filled in this season, has done well.

And as for Fergie saying there is always a solution for a good player, Im sorry messi is not just a good player he is talked about in the same categories as PELE and MARADONA
In CL semis first leg, he scores a spectacular goal, while beating 3 world cup winners( ramso, casillas, albiol) and arguably the best left back in the world(marcelo)
Messi made them seem like little kids.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
the weakest part of FCB's game is the inability to capitalize on set pieces. I dunno what Yorke thinks he's talking about but someone needs to inform him that our entire team defends and the players are quite knowledgeable on how to defend when either Alves, Pique, or Eric romp up the pitch to attack. When we have our starting back four bad things happen to opponents. The only question right now is, "how fully fit is Eric Abidal?" If we're defending a 1 goal lead with 4 minutes of added time to go and Nani is running down the wing, how much will Eric have in the tank to catch him? Will Eric be on the bench because he ran out of gas? Since he's come back, he's maxed out at 72 minutes, which was the last match vs Malaga. Before Eric had to take time off to deal with a tumour that obviously didn't know who it was f**king with this wouldn't have been a problem. Now though? It concerns me. But that's really the only question we have coming in to this game on defense.

I'm very interested to know how the 2 week layoff will help Villa and Pedro. Villa has never played this many games before in his career, and the same applies to Pedro. Throw in the lack of real summer break and the magnitude of every game and I can see why they have struggled down the stretch. I can also see why their pace would have been affected, and that will be crucial to exposing ManUtd's defense. Leo could most def have used the rest. He gets kicked/hacked/elbowed so much his body must have a plethora of bruises. the lay off will have helped all three.

I could type more but all this endless speculation about the game is just making me impatient. Saturday can't come fast enough.

W

WazzaRoon

I think Yorke is not right with making those comments, People say our defence is bad, I dont agree at all. This season we have played the majority of games without our 4 regular ( King Eric, Capt Carlas, Mr.waka waka, and I will never get tired of running(alves)), and who ever has filled in this season, has done well.

And as for Fergie saying there is always a solution for a good player, Im sorry messi is not just a good player he is talked about in the same categories as PELE and MARADONA
In CL semis first leg, he scores a spectacular goal, while beating 3 world cup winners( ramso, casillas, albiol) and arguably the best left back in the world(marcelo)

I'm a United fan but I've been following this thread for the past few days just to see how you guys feel about the final.

I think Barcelona's defense is considered their weak point just because you guys play such a high line. Your defenders are really susceptible to through passes to fast wingers and forwards. Walcott had about 2-3 breakaways a game when he played you, yet failed to capitalize on them. Not to mention this Barcelona team plays most of their games with at least 70% possession, so the defense doesn't need to work as hard as most other teams. While I would never say your defense is remotely "bad", they are the weakest point of the team(by default), and I'm sure the pace of Valencia and Hernandez will cause them problems.

On Fergie's comments, I don't think he was wrong. Messi isn't just a good player, but he still can be stopped. Chelsea proved it over two legs in 2009, Inter did it again last season, and Real Madrid also kept him at bay to an extent(both his goals were scored after Pepe's sending off, so when it was 11 v 11, he was dealt with pretty well). Ramos is known for his rash defending at times, and in my opinion Marcelo is quite far off the best LB in the world.

On the contrary, I'd say our defense is our best part of the team. VDS has been the best keeper in the league this season, while Rio, Vidic, and Evra all could easily claim to be the world's best in their positions. Our RB is the only question mark, whether we go with O'Shea, Rafael, or Fabio. Either way, I don't think Barcelona have come up against a defense as good as ours since you played Inter Milan last year.

I still think it's anyone's game on Saturday, but I can guarantee it will be a much closer final than it was in 2009.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire

I applaud this article.

Relatively speaking yes it is. You suffer from lobbed balls, its almost a guarantee that one of your CBs will not know how to deal with a dropping ball behind them...

However, Xavi is your most defensive player and he is one of the best in the world.

Who said it is bad? No one did. He said it is the weakest, as in inferior to your attacking prowess and your midfield domination.

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
got deleted i guess . But Vidic`s comments are shameful . Hope we teach them a lesson again . viscaaa

p.s have so many updates but no time to post :(

Ocelot

The defence does not always look good, but their results speak for themselves. Gave up 2 to Arsenal at Emirates, gave up 2 to Hercules, gave up no more than 1 in any other game that counted the entire season.

The goalkeeping, midfield and attack have all been superb, while the defense has only been excellent, so maybe Yorke is right. Playing for a scoreless draw against Barca is just stupid, so you do have to try to score against them.

Well Kuyt scored 3 against them :blush:

Home of Barca Fans