2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

P

PhilS

Firstly let me apologise for another Man United fan tainting this FC Bacelona forum with my redness! :D ...but we all have a joint interest for the time being so i thought I'd join the fun! lol.

Reading through this thread many of the Barcelona fans, are really fair, with realistic opinions about both teams, but the odd comment is just ridiculous. I however, watch EVERY single Man U game so let me offer my thoughts.

Barcelona are a great team, and everyone in England respects them as such. It has been a long time since Man U have gone into a game not has favourites, but against Barcelona this is now the case, and I can see why.

A couple of people have mentioned how this United team has no creativity or attacking prowess....are you kidding me! United have been in the most part (especially the last two months) very, very good. Sure we started off the season slowly but even then, we still won game after game. Has Chevo mentioned earlier on this thread our wingers have electric pace, they really do. Valencia is in my opinion as good as any winger in the world, and could easily cause a lot of damage to Barcelona. Our play from front to back has to be amongst the quickest in world football.

United are the top scorers in the EPL, so surely that puts paid to the argument we are boring!!?? Anyone who has watched United reguarly can easily see we play very exciting football. We don't enjoy the type of possesion we used to, but it doesn't make us any less effective.

As a United fan I am worried about meeting Barca in the final, but I also believe they should be worried about us too! I love Messi, but I can honestly say I wouldn't swap him for Rooney, he is the heartbeat of our team and if he plays well United play well, and I think this match could be about who comes out on top between these two players.

Manchester United are top of the PL, and have only dropped two points all season at home. Our defence and keeper are totally faultless. Our wingers are fast and skillful and are strikeforce is deadly. However our weakness this season has been in the middle. Scholes is past it, and hardly plays these days, Carrick is good but not great and the rest are pretty much the same. So Barca definitely have the stronger center midfield, but other than that its too close to call, and in some areas I'd even say we are stronger.

Overall I think its going to be a great game, between two great teams. I love Barcelona's attacking football, I just wish they wouldn't get involved with all the diving, rolling around on the floor play acting and getting in the refs face for every little decision. Lets hope its a fair game of beautiful football.

I think Barca haven't come up against a team with a defence as good as ours this season, and United have'nt come up against a team as good in attack as Barca....should be interesting.

Oh and for people who dont watch United that much, I can promise we wont adopt the same tatics as Madrid. You might have more possesion, but the only way Man U know how to play...is to play to win!

Good luck, may the best team win! :D

Very fair analysis.

Since United has gone to Chicharito up front and Rooney a bit withdrawn, the Devil's attack has been excellent. Chicharito is a natural, pure striker. Rooney is fabulous. Now that he is more frequently further back, everyone can see that he may be the world's best passer. Berbatov may be the world's best forward off the bench.

The return of Valencia helps this team quite a bit. I think we will see Park and Giggs, they are the most talented. Scholes is done. Whatever 4 Ferguson picks in midfield, Barca has a significant edge in the middle of the field. The offensive possession and defensive pressure from the Barca forwards and midfielders is a favorite to suffocate the Devils the way they did RM.

This is a very fine defence, and an excellent goalie.

The coach is unsurpassed at picking his starters and making his subs. Ferguson will not park the bus, his team always plays. The team is mentally very strong, their performances always range from OK to excellent, though they are not excellent anywhere near as often as Barca. Wembley is hardly a neutral venue, the fans will help Man U quite a bit.

PaulFCB

Banned
They had an easier run than us in the Champions League, we had Arsenal and Real Madrid to send home, they only had Chelsea that was held at home by the ref at at least one penalty, don't know about Benquerenca in the 2nd leg.
Marseille and Schalke were easy jobs, Marseille could have sent them crying but missed like donkeys on Old Trafford.

IMO, I think were clearly favorites, as long as guys don't get drunk with the idea Manchester will be easily destroyed and that their way inferior, I think we are going to see a very nice 4th CL final victory for us :D.

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
Come to think of it we didn't have Alves last time, that's going to play a big factor IMO.

SAF will be focusing mainly on how to stop our midfield and disturb our rhythm, but Alves is a whole different issue, he gives us a whole new dimension in attack that Fergie didn't have to deal with last time.
If I were SAF I would play Fletcher in midifeld, mainly for shadowing Messi, kind of like what Lass was doing. It was Man Utd vs Arsenal in the Semi if IIRC when Fletcher played that role and put on a MoM performance only to be red carded for a non-existent foul on Fabregas. I think how well Fletcher does his job will be crucial to United, as neither Carrick or Anderson get stuck in like he does, they really missed him the last final.

Unbiased United

+1

Man utd is a very tough opponent, who always competes for prices. If I remember correctly they have lost only 3 games in CL this year! It's a different united and a different barcelona. United have lost ronaldo and tevez, but they still got a very good team!

As for barca it is great that we have alves and maybe abidal at our disposal in the finals! I hope we can win and that we can see some amazing football :D vamos barça!

P W D L / W D L GD PTS
1 Manchester United- 35- 16- 1- 0 / 5 -9- 4 -38- 73

This is United in the league this season, as you can see we are MUCH better at home. So I'm hoping Wembley, will feel like home to us! :D ....we might need the advantage! :D

Unbiased United

They had an easier run than us in the Champions League, we had Arsenal and Real Madrid to send home, they only had Chelsea that was held at home by the ref at at least one penalty, don't know about Benquerenca in the 2nd leg.
Marseille and Schalke were easy jobs, Marseille could have sent them crying but missed like donkeys on Old Trafford.

IMO, I think were clearly favorites, as long as guys don't get drunk with the idea Manchester will be easily destroyed and that their way inferior, I think we are going to see a very nice 4th CL final victory for us :D.

You obviously missed the part were we played Chelsea off the pitch, despite the rivalry not one of their players or managers, desputed the fact we deserved to go through. I'll also point out that I think Chelsea are better than Arsenal and also IMO at least as good as Madrid. (why not, they have done much better in very recent times than them).

You may win...But I'd put my house on it, it won't be easy! :D

Very fair analysis.

Since United has gone to Chicharito up front and Rooney a bit withdrawn, the Devil's attack has been excellent. Chicharito is a natural, pure striker. Rooney is fabulous. Now that he is more frequently further back, everyone can see that he may be the world's best passer. Berbatov may be the world's best forward off the bench.

The return of Valencia helps this team quite a bit. I think we will see Park and Giggs, they are the most talented. Scholes is done. Whatever 4 Ferguson picks in midfield, Barca has a significant edge in the middle of the field. The offensive possession and defensive pressure from the Barca forwards and midfielders is a favorite to suffocate the Devils the way they did RM.

This is a very fine defence, and an excellent goalie.

The coach is unsurpassed at picking his starters and making his subs. Ferguson will not park the bus, his team always plays. The team is mentally very strong, their performances always range from OK to excellent, though they are not excellent anywhere near as often as Barca. Wembley is hardly a neutral venue, the fans will help Man U quite a bit.

Same back at you, I agree with everything you said. Although I have to add, even when we only play ok (or even badly) we still seem to be able to produce one or two moments of magic, which has been key to our success this season.

Come to think of it we didn't have Alves last time, that's going to play a big factor IMO.

SAF will be focusing mainly on how to stop our midfield and disturb our rhythm, but Alves is a whole different issue, he gives us a whole new dimension in attack that Fergie didn't have to deal with last time.
If I were SAF I would play Fletcher in midifeld, mainly for shadowing Messi, kind of like what Lass was doing. It was Man Utd vs Arsenal in the Semi if IIRC when Fletcher played that role and put on a MoM performance only to be red carded for a non-existent foul on Fabregas. I think how well Fletcher does his job will be crucial to United, as neither Carrick or Anderson get stuck in like he does, they really missed him the last final.

Totally agree, people underestimate the job Fletcher does for United..... Although stopping Messi, is a whole new ball game! :(

Unbiased seems like a good lad, stick around if you can man :)

Thanks! :D ...I will, as long as we don't lose! ;)

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I've watched quite a bit of United over the last 2 months, a bit of early scouting if you will...They will be a formidable opponent who have been in scintillating form...They are far more dangerous with Chicharito & Rooney playing together

Plenty of cause for concern but I expect that this is just the sort of matchup that elevates Barca's players to rise to the challenge...We'll see

But I'd rate ManYoo as the 2nd best side in the world, atm, which makes it an ideal Final

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
I've watched quite a bit of United over the last 2 months, a bit of early scouting if you will...They will be a formidable opponent who have been in scintillating form...They are far more dangerous with Chicharito & Rooney playing together

Plenty of cause for concern but I expect that this is just the sort of matchup that elevates Barca's players to rise to the challenge...We'll see

But I'd rate ManYoo as the 2nd best side in the world, atm, which makes it an ideal Final

That the good thing about this Barca, they always seem to rise up to the occasion, they embrace the challenge ...

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
Both teams will be able to play with their theorical best squad. Assuming that players won't injury.

Unbiased United

There's some great comments in here! :)... Again I totally agree!

Yes Barcelona probably are better, but United have some great players too. I'd say its 60/40 in Barca's favour.

But even if we lose there's no shame in losing to this barca team! :)

Home of Barca Fans