21 - Frenkie de Jong

L3v1s

The disrespect against him is crazy. Just because Barto gave him a crazy contract aint his fault. He helped the club in tough times and even deferred his wages. Yes, I agree he isn’t the midfielder we all thought he would become but he is still miles ahead of guys like Casado.

Lets see if Hansi can unlock him like he did with Raphinha.
He's 27 years old and he's not getting any better. This is/was his peak, but maybe Flick can motivate him to get in decent form. What I'm trying to say is that he's not irreplaceable, and I'm fed up with his beta male persona. The club is still in financial trouble, and he's certainly not worth the salary he gets(whatever that is). Doing a quick research, turns out he doesnt earn 32m, but 19m gross. To that is added a fixed bonus of €4.2 million which takes his total fixed salary to €23.2 million. If he plays atleast 60% of the games this season he gets another 2m. Total amount he can earn is €25.2 million. Poor guy.
michael-scott-michael-the-office.gif
What is Frenkie good at? Cant play number 10, cant play Busquets' role, doesnt score goals. He's just a world class ball carrier that's more fit for a tiki taka team. Current Barca cant play that anymore.

akaranzo

He's 27 years old and he's not getting any better. This is/was his peak, but maybe Flick can motivate him to get in decent form. What I'm trying to say is that he's not irreplaceable, and I'm fed up with his beta male persona. The club is still in financial trouble, and he's certainly not worth the salary he gets(whatever that is). Doing a quick research, turns out he doesnt earn 32m, but 19m gross. To that is added a fixed bonus of €4.2 million which takes his total fixed salary to €23.2 million. If he plays atleast 60% of the games this season he gets another 2m. Total amount he can earn is €25.2 million. Poor guy.
View attachment 11090
What is Frenkie good at? Cant play number 10, cant play Busquets' role, doesnt score goals. He's just a world class ball carrier that's more fit for a tiki taka team. Current Barca cant play that anymore.
using ''beta male persona'' unironically :lol: my god the brainrot is impressive

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
That's exactly it, he's not irreplaceable by any mean. He's not "world class" at anything. We should definitively look to sell him next summer, but we need to replace him with somebody as good or better of course - but on half the wage Frenkie is on.

MontenegrinCuler

We should wait and see how he performs this season.

But unless he has some fantastic season with us that suddenly makes him worthy of the money and one of the best midfielders in the world, we should really listen to the offers for him in the summer.

If Flick makes him reach his full potential though, then we should probably keep him as he would be one of the best around in that case.

I definitely think that if we sell him we should do it for big money. 30m for him would be shit business, considering how crazy the transfer market is right now. It's not like he is one of those players with no potential that you can't make nothing of, in fact he is the exact opposite. But if he can't reach that potential here then he should do it at other club.

Maradona37

Is it really any surprise that Barca fans are fed up of him? He's very talented but he's done nothing at the club for ages. Then you have idiots coming in here gaslighting your fans by claiming that anyone who wants him sold is clueless. It's highly likely the lad - despite his talent - will continue to not be the dominant midfielder everyone wished for and will not fulfil the promise he showed at Ajax. It's just sense at this point based on how things have been going for so long.

Is having him better than the kids who are nowhere near ready as referenced earlier? Yes, of course. But that's hardly a ringing endorsement is it?

Like I say, the guy has a lot of ability, but would anyone bet on him being the player he was at Ajax (or in flashes at Barca) ever again? After all the injuries and form issues? The smart money is on no. And - let's face it - like de Ligt, maybe Ajax was simply his peak. It was a perfectly functioning team that got the absolute most out of all the players in that side. Several of the players in that side haven't looked the same since they moved to other clubs. People think that kids follow a linear trajectory and get better as they get older - but often that doesn't actually happen. There's a plethora of examples of guys being brilliant from 18-21 and then falling apart and never being the same player ever again. Not everyone enters their peak between 25 and 32 like Salah, for example.

Maybe he will just never reach the potential he had? Like I say, nobody doubts his talent, but is it really smart to think he can turn it around and be world-class after so long of being a non-entity. When was the last time that happened to a footballer? When was the last time a player was an outcast and did a 180 to become a top top player again? Is there even a precedent for it?

Last edited:

jamrock

Some think I'm a hater, but really I just have high standards for who should be one of the best midfielders in the world, given what we paid for him, the hype around him and his age.

Standards!.

But I hope he has a good season and helps us win the league.

L3v1s

Imagine if he enters his last year of contract and refuses to renew. Even if he does he will probably ask for more money knowing that he has the upper hand where he can threaten to leave for free. He'll be 29-32 by that time and we'll probably get pocket change from his departure.

Till then lets see how Flick reinvents him.

Andresito

Staff member
He looks so stiff and rigid. Would bet his foot is very heavily taped. Also looks rusty af. Will take a while until he can make an impact over a full game.

Home of Barca Fans