24 - Eric García

Joan

Honestly, I don't think we're TOO FAR off competing with the likes of Bayern...need 2-3 strong signings and we can give them a game.

For me, MATS has to go. Need someone who can command the box against corners and actually is reliable in 1 on 1s. We also need a reliable partner for Araujo. Let's hope Christensen is that (Pique is playing at a good level lately but his pace and age are a concern). I would try Dest as the LB and I would try to sign that Ajax RB.

Busquets has been good lately but I wouldn't trust him v Bayern or a Pool. They can engineer a much more taxing press than ancient Modric and Kroos and Casemiro. IMO, the ideal midfield is Pedri, Gavi, FDJ and Xavi needs to figure out how to implement this.

And in the attack with Fati in the mix, I don't think we need Haaland necessarily as long as the core (defense/midfield) is strong.

Importantly, we're going into history laden stadiums like the Bernabeu and our youngsters are owning the stage. That is the ultimate preparation for an Anfield or Allianz.

For now it seems clear de Jong is not a lone DM, doubt even Xavi can make him work there. If Kessie is a good signing, de Jong Kessie double pivot might be an approach for high intensity games worth considering.

Christensen is coming and I hope we manage to keep Araujo. Together with offloading Lenglet would be enough for one summer. Fullback positions need improving but I don't see us making a move there bar singing that Ajax RB.

The only other position that MUST be addressed and sorted out is right wing.

That would be a decent summer.

ajnotkeith

He isnt all that fast or strong.

Probably about same weight as Garcia and few centimetres taller.

You have tried this Mingueza is physical specimen any coach would want argument before and he isnt.

Garcia can play CB at decent level. Migueza has no chance as lacks physcially and doesnt have brains to make up for it.

Garcia is very soft tho. Any time he has to closely mark a strong striker he fucks up.

JamDav1982

Garcia is very soft tho. Any time he has to closely mark a strong striker he fucks up.

Not any time but too often for now and part of it is him getting caught under ball and going into challenges he doesnt need to make.

Had a good few times he read play and stole ball tonight and a few he won challenges well.

No one is claiming he doesnt have weaknesses anyway.

jamrock

Yep because he's weak, not rocket science to see he is by far the least capable defender we have physically.

He got everything to be a defender though, if he had those two missing elements he would be WC.

Porque

Definitely weak and unable to assert his strength compared to Mingueza. And that's not really about Mingueza excelling in any of those.

One thing Mingueza does have is very good acceleration though. Though his top speed isn't exceptional his short burst is very good for a defender.

JamDav1982

Definitely weak and unable to assert his strength compared to Mingueza. And that's not really about Mingueza excelling in any of those.

One thing Mingueza does have is very good acceleration though. Though his top speed isn't exceptional his short burst is very good for a defender.

Mingueza would lose more duels as is not physical and has no idea how to defend.

Joan

Mingueza is a bum. But that doesn't make Garcia a good defender.

No wonder the one team he looked good against played without a striker.

jamrock

Yea but let's use 1 game where he paid against luka modric & Air to try and validate a stupid point, that Garcia is anything more than a 3rd & soon to be 4th choice defender for Barcelona, because he lacks the basic physical requirements for the position in the mondern game.

If he can hit the gym & gain some strength without losing what little pace he has, he could force his way into a 2rd/3rd choice.

Porque

Mingueza would lose more duels as is not physical and has no idea how to defend.

More duels than who? I know you don't rate Mingueza, but there are obviously areas that he is better than Eric Garcia as. That is all that was stated above.

Mingueza failings are more to do with him not being a particularly intelligent player. Too rash, gets too tight on the defender (which is where he loses his duels) and poor timing. But physically his acceleration, strength and assertiveness is better than Eric. That is all that I am saying.

Obviously he is no Araujo physically, and perhaps the point could have been better asserted initially by saying to give Eric Araujo's or Koulibaly's physical status.

But at this point what are we even debating?

FinBarcelonafan

Does someone know if pace/quickness/speed can be improved a lot or is it mostly genetical?(for professional athlete) Garcia is doomed for life?

If he could improve those attributes, he could be very good.

Add strength and muscle too obv.

ajnotkeith

Does someone know if pace/quickness/speed can be improved a lot or is it mostly genetical?(for professional athlete) Garcia is doomed for life?

If he could improve those attributes, he could be very good.

Add strength and muscle too obv.

You can't make yourself fast but there are a lot of little things you can do to improve it to an extent, running form, physique, weight distribution can all be optimised to make you faster.

Home of Barca Fans