24 - Thomas Vermaelen

mssarm

How is it his fault? blame zubi for getting an injuryprone player for a high fee. He could have gotten Benatia.

Benatia costs 3 times more and it's a question if Benatia is better than Verm. Yea we bought him injured, but we also paid less. Don't forget when we were shopping for CB-s Roma was asking 60 mil for him. Funny thing is the way Barca made people who paid 50 mill for Luiz to look stupid, same way they made peopl who bought Benatia to look stupid. You just wait and see how valuable Verm is going to be to our squad.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Benatia costs 3 times more and it's a question if Benatia is better than Verm. Yea we bought him injured, but we also paid less. Don't forget when we were shopping for CB-s Roma was asking 60 mil for him. Funny thing is the way Barca made people who paid 50 mill for Luiz to look stupid, same way they made peopl who bought Benatia to look stupid. You just wait and see how valuable Verm is going to be to our squad.

It's not a question. Benatia is better than Vermaelen, but he's not at Barca while Vermaelen is so let's hope Thomas can do well for us next season and stay injury free. Benatia has been very good for Bayern and they didn't pay 60m. They paid somewhere between 25-30m which was brilliant in this inflated market. How Barca made people who bought Benatia look stupid is something I cannot understand because we didn't really make Bayern look stupid. They got a very good CB while our CB played one match in the entire season(so far).

JamDav1982

It's not a question. Benatia is better than Vermaelen, but he's not at Barca while Vermaelen is so let's hope Thomas can do well for us next season and stay injury free. Benatia has been very good for Bayern and they didn't pay 60m. They paid somewhere between 25-30m which was brilliant in this inflated market. How Barca made people who bought Benatia look stupid is something I cannot understand because we didn't really make Bayern look stupid. They got a very good CB while our CB played one match in the entire season(so far).

Admittedly not watched all Bayern games this season but though Benatia looked shit against Barca and PSG.

Still think he is over hyped on here as people were so desperate for him last season.

DonAK

Admittedly not watched all Bayern games this season but though Benatia looked shit against Barca and PSG.

Still think he is over hyped on here as people were so desperate for him last season.

He was one of Bayern's better players in the 1st leg while played Suarez(?) onside for a goal in the 2nd leg so not good there, but having watched a bit of him this season as well as last season and listening to Bayern fans opinion about him, it's fair to say they are very satisfied. Facing Neymar, Suarez and Messi would be difficult for any CB in the World.

If you're going to pick out performances then I can do that as well to any player in the World(except Messi because he always does something good even if he isnt at his best), but that wouldn't be fair would it?

As for being overhyped then I'll agree, but if you take a look at our situation where we needed a CB, we were desperate for one, then it's no wonder he was overhyped by our fanbase including me. He was a very good CB who was available unlike most other quality CBs out there.

JamDav1982

He was one of Bayern's better players in the 1st leg while played Suarez(?) onside for a goal in the 2nd leg so not good there, but having watched a bit of him this season as well as last season and listening to Bayern fans opinion about him, it's fair to say they are very satisfied. Facing Neymar, Suarez and Messi would be difficult for any CB in the World.

If you're going to pick out performances then I can do that as well to any player in the World(except Messi because he always does something good even if he isnt at his best), but that wouldn't be fair would it?

As for being overhyped then I'll agree, but if you take a look at our situation where we needed a CB, we were desperate for one, then it's no wonder he was overhyped by our fanbase including me. He was a very good CB who was available unlike most other quality CBs out there.

He made 3/4 huge errors the type of Barca don't want - mistiming headers and a really poor positioning in a high line.

I don't think he would get in starting eleven of Barca or even that much better than Mathieu, Verm or Batra.

He kept Suarez onside in first game and then lost Suarez at corner, both should have been goals.

DonAK

He made 3/4 huge errors the type of Barca don't want - mistiming headers and a really poor positioning in a high line.

I don't think he would get in starting eleven of Barca or even that much better than Mathieu, Verm or Batra.

He kept Suarez onside in first game and then lost Suarez at corner, both should have been goals.

Like you said just now, you've not watched him a lot. I could pick out some bad mistakes by Pique(One of the best CBs in the World) this season and come up with the same argument if you want so.

And when has Mathieu or Bartra not made any mistakes? And Vermaelen in his days for Arsenal? You make it out to be like they don't do anything wrong which is far from the truth.

JamDav1982

Like you said just now, you've not watched him a lot. I could pick out some bad mistakes by Pique(One of the best CBs in the World) this season and come up with the same argument if you want so.

Watched him a decent amount of times and in the biggest games and was never all that impressed.

Made same mistakes time and again and never really dominated the way Pique etc has.

M

monamou

Classy as fuck. He can be a real asset. I prefer him to Mathieu very much as he's very elegant and the other one is sloppy af

CFyrl_VW8AE3Cyw.jpg

Alik

It will be interesting to see how next season turns out with regards to our back-line.

It will be tough to keep everyone happy. Perhaps Vermaelen/Mathieu should be used at LB in easier games when Alba needs to be rested?

barcanuck

It will be interesting to see how next season turns out with regards to our back-line.

It will be tough to keep everyone happy. Perhaps Vermaelen/Mathieu should be used at LB in easier games when Alba needs to be rested?

You can never have enough options, especially at CB which we saw as our downfall before this season.

Personally I'm hoping Masche and/or Bartra play RB if Alves leaves.

Home of Barca Fans