24 - Thomas Vermaelen

xXKonan

Vermaelen: "I do not feel I won the treble with Barcelona"

Vermaelen: "I'm happy for the team, for my team mates, but I honestly do not feel I contributed a lot to win three cups"

Vermaelen: "I am happy and glad to be back to normal. There is nothing better than feeling fit"

mssarm

I think today's game settles the score. Verm most likely will play more(probably more than Mattheu) and Barta will play the least.

BBZ8800

Played well and without brainfarts yesterday.

I think that he will prove that we can rely on him in big matches, and if fit, he will be a very valuable player.

DennyCrane

Should work on his long ball distribution in the build-up, especially the long diagonal passes were questionable during the entire pre-season. Other than that, he seems solid even though he's obviously still a bit rusty.

Horatio

You're welcome
Should work on his long ball distribution in the build-up, especially the long diagonal passes were questionable during the entire pre-season. Other than that, he seems solid even though he's obviously still a bit rusty.

Should just stop doing them alltogether. Seems to me he just wants to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible instead of participating in build-up play.

But it is pre-season so I don't know what Lucho instructed them. Maybe he told them to try whatever they feel needs work to build some confidence.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He is improving imo. Will only be able to see what to expect after he gets few more months of football under his belt.

ATLBarcaFan

He is improving imo. Will only be able to see what to expect after he gets few more months of football under his belt.

I agree, I thought he played well yesterday. He is very good in the air and had a couple of well timed tackles. He's not there yet, but definitely improving.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
I know he is rusty but for an experienced player his positioning and marking are atrocious. I don't care how rusty you are, you don't simply lose the basics of positioning and marking your man. La Viola constantly caught him ball watching and he needs to drastically improve this to be in contention for a CB spot

Galning

I know he is rusty but for an experienced player his positioning and marking are atrocious. I don't care how rusty you are, you don't simply lose the basics of positioning and marking your man. La Viola constantly caught him ball watching and he needs to drastically improve this to be in contention for a CB spot

He didn't lose the basics, he never acquired them. His positioning has always been dreadful.

Behrox

He didn't lose the basics, he never acquired them. His positioning has always been dreadful.

how the hell is he considered a professional CB then? Positioning is probably the most basic trait of a CB, something you would learn when you first start playing there.

F

Flavia

how the hell is he considered a professional CB then? Positioning is probably the most basic trait of a CB, something you would learn when you first start playing there.

Read this, from 2010. It's one of his weaknesses. He used to be good on aerial duels and tackles. His passing was also good. Also liked to score some goals. But this was a good few years ago, before his injuries spell. And why I'm very skeptical about him doing well for Barça. I'd actually prefer if Enrique used him mainly as Alba's backup, and Mathieu as the CB.

Behrox

Read this, from 2010. It's one of his weaknesses. He used to be good on aerial duels and tackles. His passing was also good. Also liked to score some goals. But this was a good few years ago, before his injuries spell. And why I'm very skeptical about him doing well for Barça. I'd actually prefer if Enrique used him mainly as Alba's backup, and Mathieu as the CB.

Damn. Due to our ridiculous high line positioning is one aspect that should be in the DNA of our CBs, either that or they should have ridiculous speed like Varane to cover for this weakness. I know its pre-season but his passing is not anywhere near a Barca CB either and him playing puts more pressure on his partner rather than relieving it. I pray to God that we don't have to play him in a relatively important game because judging by his performances in pre-season, any half decent attack can get the best of him leaving his CB partner isolated especially when the fullbacks are in attack.

Home of Barca Fans