24 - Thomas Vermaelen

Zangash

Banned
We should rotate more, centerbacks, midfielders, defensive midfielders, and even MSN trio.
This is our 2nd season in a row with the same team aiming for a treble.

We were lucky in the last season regarding injuries and not getting hit by an accumulated fatigue.
Guys like Samper, Arda, Vermaelen, Mathieu, Bartra, Vidal should ensure that we survive this Season on a high level, without crashing around March or April, like Real Madrid and 10s of other teams in a season AFTER their huge previous success, due not to rotating players in the 2nd season (it worked in the 1st season, so they thought that they could repeat the same story in a 2nd season in a row).

I think the main reason we got "lucky" with injuries last season is because the rotation from Lucho in the first half of the season was so incredibly erratic that everyone was actually still fresh. How many weeks in a row did we go where we didn't even use the same lineup twice in that entire time span? It was literally impossible to predict what Lucho was going to come up with.

Next season we'll definitely have to rotate everywhere a lot more. That's why I think the signing of Turan is good thing for our midfield and that Samper should be able to get minutes despite all our players there. Lucho promoting both Munir and Sandro gives me the impression he intends to rotate the front line in a similar manner to how he did while Suarez was banned, which would keep MSN's legs from getting tired too quickly. Honestly, during the madness of those first few months, how Lucho handled the front line (Subbing Pedro off for Munir/Sandro, or Munir off for Pedro/Sandro) was probably the most vital part of us keeping such a good streak going.

BBZ8800

I think the main reason we got "lucky" with injuries last season is because the rotation from Lucho in the first half of the season was so incredibly erratic that everyone was actually still fresh. How many weeks in a row did we go where we didn't even use the same lineup twice in that entire time span? It was literally impossible to predict what Lucho was going to come up with.

To some extent, you can avoid injuries with some rotations and not to overburn players (like Messi etc) over season, or after long international trips, but in most cases, injuries sometimes happen (like knee injuries, ankle injuries etc) and you can't do anything.

I told a few times, in 2nd Laporta's/Rijkaard's season, 2004/05, when we have won a title after 6 years of waiting, and when we played the best football in Champions league (knocked out by Chelsea 5:4 on aggregate), we lost defensive midfielder Edmilson, 2nd pick defensive midfielder Thiago Motta, 4th attacker Henrik Larsson and a versatile all-round player Gabri, all injured from September to December, all suffered the same injury=broken knee ligaments.

A verdict=all players were lost for the entire Season.
Imagine that you have a squad of 19-20 players, and suddenly you have only 15-16 senior players.

Last Season we were without Vermaelen.
Imagine if we had to play without Busquets, Rakitic, Pedro and Vermaelen for the whole Season.

A much different story, isn't it?

With avoiding injuries, you also need a lot of luck...

Zangash

Banned
To some extent, you can avoid injuries with some rotations and not to overburn players (like Messi etc) over season, or after long international trips, but in most cases, injuries sometimes happen (like knee injuries, ankle injuries etc) and you can't do anything.

I told a few times, in 2nd Laporta's/Rijkaard's season, 2004/05, when we have won a title after 6 years of waiting, and when we played the best football in Champions league (knocked out by Chelsea 5:4 on aggregate), we lost defensive midfielder Edmilson, 2nd pick defensive midfielder Thiago Motta, 4th attacker Henrik Larsson and a versatile all-round player Gabri, all injured from September to December, all suffered the same injury=broken knee ligaments.

A verdict=all players were lost for the entire Season.
Imagine that you have a squad of 19-20 players, and suddenly you have only 15-16 senior players.

Last Season we were without Vermaelen.
Imagine if we had to play without Busquets, Rakitic, Pedro and Vermaelen for the whole Season.

A much different story, isn't it?

With avoiding injuries, you also need a lot of luck...

Squad depth can alleviate those issues, though. Right now, if something were to happen to Iniesta, we have Arda or Rafinha (Who I now consider to be good enough to play for us in a pinch btw). Same for if something happens to Rakatic. The only position where we'd be in real trouble is if Busquets goes down, but that's why developing Samper should be a priority, imo. Defensively we're kind of stuck hoping nothing happens to Alves until January, but the LB, CB, and GK positions are all well covered. As far as our front line goes, giving Munir/Sandro consistent charity minutes of the like Pedro had received last season would be enough for the two of them to develop into decent backup between the two of them to fill in any gaps.

Lucho's signings and promotions actually make lots of sense when thought about from this perspective. It's not just about having the best team, but solid depth as well.

mazp

He was terrible.. No wonder were linked with another CB. Can we please stop buying Arsenal players. From now on

M

magicomessi

i'm pretty sure that lucho isn't happy with him & will never count on him in the big games

mssarm

I saw how Lucho was screaming at him, which means he considers Verm a player with potential who's not at his best game. I'm sure we will see him more.

EdmondDantes

I didn't think he was that bad (or great for that matter). And as long as he doesn't start over 8 games for us this season, I'm OK. He's a bench option here.

BBZ8800

i'm pretty sure that lucho isn't happy with him & will never count on him in the big games

Bartra is our last option.
He will be the player who won't play in bigger matches.

Pique and Masch are our first options.
Mathieu and Vermaelen (when fit) will probably be the 2nd option when someone from Pique/Masch needs rest/is injured/suspended etc.

EdmondDantes

He was terrible.. No wonder were linked with another CB. Can we please stop buying Arsenal players. From now on

I don't quite agree that Verma was terrible, I thought he was OK, just.

However, on your second point, absolutely. Enough of Arsenal players, they never cut the grade and our outcast Sanchez goes there and tears the Premier League and is instantly their best player by miles. There's no other player that comes close to him in that squad. It just shows the disparity between us and Le Arse, we're light-years ahead.

Jombi

Bartra is our last option.
He will be the player who won't play in bigger matches.

Pique and Masch are our first options.
Mathieu and Vermaelen (when fit) will probably be the 2nd option when someone from Pique/Masch needs rest/is injured/suspended etc.

Mathieu and Vermaelen cant play as right CB.

Gnidrologist

The real question since always is: How much our fans are objective regarding Bartra?
And how much are you? All i see from you is you relentless confirmation bias against him, where only argument as to why he sucks is that he hasn't been used enough by our coaches and then an endless tl;dr cherry picked statements that helps your bias.
I don't think he's world class, not by now at least, because we can't even check that out, but he certainly isn't much worse than any of our other CB sans Pique, given what has been seen.

Home of Barca Fans