25 - Wojciech Szczęsny

El Gato

Villarato!
He seems cool and relaxed.

Plays a piano apparently.

Yip
He's talked about growing up being a shy boy on the block, had to puff his chest to pretend he's no pushover when first arrived in England
Even more so as a young keeper playing against blokes built for rugby
No wonder really, had it tough early on - grown up basically without a dad
The dad being Polish NT keeper himself has divorced his mother and became an on-off alcoholic (+ alleged rapist) since the time their first daughter got killed by a poorly fixed outdoor communal carpet hanger that collapsed on itself as mother was taking her out on a walk

Good sense of humour on him, famous for his banter in the backroom
His interviews are always great too

Enjoy
Long as he shows up...

pers

He made an interview in polish youtube channel run by his friend and summing it up:
1. Lewandowski was first one to call him but he wasn't decided factor. Without Lewy he would join Barca as well
2. He has no idea if he needs week or 1,5 months to be fully ready to play.
3. He wish Pena all the best and he will accept if Pena will be nr 1 coz of great performance.
4. There is no such thing like guarantee place in first squad - you need to fight for it.
5. His family especially his son and wife played huge role to make his decision.
6. Retirement was more his decision than his family.
7. If it wasn't Barcelona he wouldn't even consider coming back coz he feels good in retirement mode and he knows there is good and interesting life outside football.
8. He said that most probably he is the calmest person joining Barca and he doesn't know if it's good or not ;)
9. He come back only for 1 year and he wants to be remembered as someone who made something good for club.
10. He has no plan to return to NT.

pers

@pers and you told me he wouldn’t come hahaha
I never said that I was just arguing with your reasoning.

1. He didn't changed his mind about retirement - he feels good without playing and he doesn't miss play time.
2. It was more about his son and wife
3. I was wrong about financial aspect for sure tho. 3M is like peanuts especially some sources say he agree to reduce his salary in Juventus by 8M to retire.

Horatio

You're welcome
I never said that I was just arguing with your reasoning.

1. He didn't changed his mind about retirement - he feels good without playing and he doesn't miss play time.
2. It was more about his son and wife
3. I was wrong about financial aspect for sure tho. 3M is like peanuts especially some sources say he agree to reduce his salary in Juventus by 8M to retire.

Yes, but I brought up family and house in Spain as reason why could happen. He did change mind about retirement. He has to complete training regiment now even if does not play. The mentality is completely different.

But this is time to celebrate and not point out I was in right side if things and you on wrong.

Rejoice!

pers

@Horatio I agree - great time to have 2 polish players in such club for sure.

BTW in this interview he was asked as well if the fact that he has house in Spain had any role in his decision and he said absolutely no. "If I were (live) in Warsaw my decision would be the same"

TheStig

What does a house in Marbella have to do with anything anyway? It's not like he can live there while playing in Barcelona. Something similar is an argument for those who are thinking that Klopp would ever consider Barca.

Horatio

You're welcome
What does a house in Marbella have to do with anything anyway? It's not like he can live there while playing in Barcelona. Something similar is an argument for those who are thinking that Klopp would ever consider Barca.

The house not necessarily directly, but what does it say about the country when you decide to buy a house there?

Horatio

You're welcome
@Horatio I agree - great time to have 2 polish players in such club for sure.

BTW in this interview he was asked as well if the fact that he has house in Spain had any role in his decision and he said absolutely no. "If I were (live) in Warsaw my decision would be the same"

Yes, I have good experience with Polish people. Been on holidays there. The dumplings are really good.

MontenegrinCuler

Seems relaxed as fuck

Which I personally like but like Tek said, we can't really know if it's good or bad. Gotta appreciate his honesty in all these interviews, he's not lying for a moment

El Gato

Villarato!
Told you all he's basically mentally retired and y'all had a massive whinge :lol:
He may or may not put himself back in right headspace
It's not a given

But he isn't stupid
He's not the sort to be utterly beside himself to come to Barca just because it's Barca.
Doesn't mean he doesn't value it, he knows it's a big club
But dont expect fireworks on the immediate

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

His personality will have a calming influence on those ahead of him and I expect our defenders to play better as a result. Let's face it, they've not really played with a goalkeeper that they are confident in yet.

Expect Tek to be a success himself individually between the sticks and also influence those around him in a positive way.

Cracking signing.

Home of Barca Fans