3 - Alejandro Balde

jamrock

Hilarious hearing fans talk shit about blade, then bringing up two full backs we allowed to leave, instead of giving them time to develop 😂.

vuji_31

Rayan Ait Nouri is type of player we need.

Someone who can explode, someone who is different player then Balde.

Also, Laporta and Mendes can make some gentlemen deal.

Sorin

He played best when he had Alba as his backup, so competition. Or maybe Alba was mentoring him and that’s why he was good in his first half a season.

My point is, we should really look into bringing a competent backup that could even take his spot, a more experienced fullback. Who that is I don’t know, but that’s why we have scouts on the payroll, so get to work.

Messi983

Lot of overreactions. He was out for almost half a year, it's obvious he still needs time to get to form. Most important is to stay fit whole season and I'm sure he'll play much better in a few months.

Cucu and Grimaldo would never develop into the players they are today if they would stay here and warm the bench behind Alba. Also, Grimaldo is a big beneficiary of Xabi Alonso's system. Just look at both his and Frimpong's numbers from last season. Not saying they are not good players individually but system makes them look better than they are. We don't know how he would look in a different team and/or system where he would also have more defensive duties playing as a LB rather than offensive LWB. And Cucu was considered a Chelsea flop a year ago. That's how fast things and people's perception can change in football.

TheStig

No one thinks Grimaldo would be as productive here as he is at Bayer but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a great LB for us. We could get him for free, I'm sure it would be interesting for him to return to Barca when Alba left but we didn't even try.

Messi983

Wouldn't say he was a beast at Benfica. He was a solid player but I have different question(s). If he was that good why he stayed at Benfica for 7 years? He was linked with a move to a bigger club (no disrespect to Benfica ofc) or a better league in almost every transfer window for years but nothing materialized. Why didn't the clubs rate him enough to pull a trigger if he was that good?

All that while playing a position in which there is a clear lack of quality options on the market. Good FBs are hard to find these days so many clubs are converting midfielders or wingers into FBs/WBs. Why didn't City, Liverpool or PSG signed him 3-5 years ago? Don't think his value was ever that high those clubs couldn't afford him if they would think highly enough of him. Maybe he wouldn't be a starter but wouldn't he be at least a quality backup for affordable price? So why did no club buy him for years? Maybe all of those teams were wrong to not sign him or more likely he's just not as good as some people believe based on last season.

TheStig

He would be competing with Balde, Martin and Fort, he's more than good enough for that. He probably isn't as good as he was last season but we are not talking about some big money signing but a La Masia product in his prime who we could get for free and probably low wages.

Letting Cucu leave to Getafe was a also a mistake, Alba needed competition back then and now he would be a strong competition for Balde if he stayed.

Home of Barca Fans