4 - Ronald Araújo

Porque

Maybe right now because the relationship isn't that good between both parties. Araujo has been loyal and on a low wage, while the club has been trying to take advantage of this to offer him for sale.

All the while signing Inigo and paying him much more.

No doubt he will want a renewal. Question is how much but I don't see other clubs around Europe paying their centrebacks more than we do.

jamrock

Yep I think the issue is he thinks he made a financial effort on his first renewal,4M net I think were the reports, which to me is more than fair, Martinez is reported numbers are gross, because no way the club is paying him 12M net,

If Araujo is look for 6m, that's about what Martinez is on, I'd give it to him, but that's the most he'll get.

His calculation if he leaves in a free is that he could probably get that else where, plus a big signing on bonus.

Porque

Yeah. The first I think is that in modern football you can't leave your players to have 2 years left on their contract. They have way more leverage on 2 years than a decade back, because signing on fee's have been increasingly incentivised while the stigma of running down the contact has disappeared.

Kounde - 13.5m
Inigo - 9.3m
Christensen - 9m
Araujo - 7m
Eric Garcia - 6m
Pau Cubarsi - 4m

I didn't include Lenglet because that was a different euro and includes the covid reduction that has to be paid back.

But you can see the big problem above and it isn't Araujo. It's the maintanence of his low wage relative to his squad position and importance. In logical circumstances, he should have been a priority to renew(reward) after the 22/23 season.

His agent will want to be in the Kounde territory. I don't think he reaches that, but you can't have 15m GROSS going on Inigo and Eric. And again, this doesn't account for Lenglet.

Just a bad financial decision giving into Xavi on that one.

jamrock

Yea pretty much agree with all of that, especially the 2 year contract cut off, but most players these days aren't renewing with 3 years left in their contract, because that's just giving up all the leverage.

We really need to get rid of lenglet and Garcia, Martinez we'll just have to accept for 1 more season, because he's going nowhere

Givenchy

I can see him going to PSG ironically, 40-50mil on the last year of his contract. If you'd of told me earlier last season I would end up prefering Kounde I'd call you crazy but this is where we are. Araujo cannot be relied on and his reaction to HIS CL fuck up is pathetic and shows he isn't captain material.

Done defending him. Stay fit, sign a new contract or gtfo.

jamrock

Seems he won't be back until around December, will be interesting to see how flick lines up at the back without him, mainly does he go with Kounde at RB/CB.

Loki

Seems he won't be back until around December, will be interesting to see how flick lines up at the back without him, mainly does he go with Kounde at RB/CB.
I think it's gonna be mainly: Cancelo (Balde) - Cubarsi (Garcia) - Christensen (Inigo) - Kounde (Fort)

Cancelo needs to stay of course and if Balde improves, we can see Cancelo on the right and Kounde CB. But I think Kounde should stay RB, it looks like he finally accepted the position and improved on it.

jamrock

I'D loan cancelo for the versatility, but starting him in flicks high line would be a disaster, Balde starts once fit, IMO.

Not a lot of pace in that entire black line, so that's an additional plus for balde, The CB partnership is a bit slow as well, Kounde over Cubarsi, if we sign cancelo he could start on the right, but I'd much prefer Fort in serious games.

Cancelo(Fort) - Kounde(Cubarsi)- Christensen (Inigo) - Blade (Faye*)

vuji_31

Xavi was idiot for signing Inigo.

trash transfer like always.

If we have someone who is not crocked, 33 years old and on high wages defense is okay.

But we lack real leader here...

Maybe get Van Dijk, or some more expirienced player to lead this team in defense.

Porque

Xavi was idiot for signing Inigo.

trash transfer like always.

If we have someone who is not crocked, 33 years old and on high wages defense is okay.

But we lack real leader here...

Maybe get Van Dijk, or some more expirienced player to lead this team in defense.

You read Sport today?

Last edited:

Porque

If we have no FFP issues requiring deadline day work arounds then just keep Inigo for a season.

Depth and rhythm will be a problem for the first part of the season.

Home of Barca Fans