4 - Ronald Araújo

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
We’ll see when he eventually returns to the lineup but no visible signs yet that the player is committed to Barca…not sure German deep tissue massages will mend those fences

Porque

You see that offside line versus Alaves?
Araujo is going to break half of those calls with his positioning. But he will probably breakup those attacks with his recovery pace and tackles.

The team will also have to work immensely hard to open up passing lanes for his distribution. Things that they can switch off for a second or two with when Cubarsi and Inigo are playing.

So those are the issues we will have when Araujo returns.

BUT he is the perfect defender for a high line. He gets back at 100%, focused and he could be immense under Flick.

We have seen how other players like Inigo, Lewy and Raphinha who Xavi had an idea of why they would work, and then how Flick managed to unlock that idea. So with the way Flick plays Araujo can certainly turn into a top 5 CB in the world if uninjured.

Just sort out his renewal before it happens.

jamrock

To be fair, araujo has improved every season he's been at the club, except for last season, where I think the great run he had when we won the title got to his head a bit.

Title winning season, Christensen was more consistent, due to availability, but araujo was Peak and a top 5-10 defender in the world that season when he played.

Martinez was injured 99.999% of the time last season, so didn't really get time to adjust, we are just seeing from him what he's always been in la Liga, a defender that's one step below world class.

Catta

We’ll see when he eventually returns to the lineup but no visible signs yet that the player is committed to Barca…not sure German deep tissue massages will mend those fences
Hard to be commited when you are the best defender at the club, and at the same time the one with the lowest wage.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Hard to be commited when you are the best defender at the club, and at the same time the one with the lowest wage.
I don’t think his commitment will be linked to wages but the fallout post-Qatari red card - nothing has been the same with him since

Andresito

Staff member
He didn't accept blame for the loss and couldn't understand why people were so negative towards him with the red card. Naive and delusional perhaps. I guess he thought he was untouchable to criticism.

You'd expect Araujo who's been deemed captain material for years to handle this differently and more elegantly. Instead he took it like a teenage kid and sulked.

Gazzznigga

Can't believe there are people still bewailing and whinny about the match vs PSG up to today, expecting a public apology and some servitude for him to be accepted as a favourite or true Barca player. Com'on!!!

Puerile and nonsensical.

Last edited:

M3ls

You see that offside line versus Alaves?
Araujo is going to break half of those calls with his positioning. But he will probably breakup those attacks with his recovery pace and tackles.

What you wrote is the absolute truth. Yes, Araujo is fast, but if he continues to make the usual for him positional mistakes in Flick's high defensive line, it will be a disaster, even if Araujo becomes the fastest man in the world.

M3ls

I think that selling in winter is the most correct decision. He will get injured again and again. His muscles cannot support his weight/height.

Andresito

Staff member
Can't believe there are people still bewailing and whinny about the match vs PSG up to today, expecting a public apology and some servitude for him to be accepted as a favourite or true Barca player. Com'on!!!

Puerile and nonsensical.
It's not about demanding a public apology. At this point I don't really care and Araujo should've moved on too. But it seems he hasn't and that the treatment he received is still a thorn in his side. He probably thinks the club and the fans are against him.

But when he's back I'm sure he'll receive the same reception Frenkie did at Montjuic and all will be well.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
He didn't accept blame for the loss and couldn't understand why people were so negative towards him with the red card. Naive and delusional perhaps. I guess he thought he was untouchable to criticism.

You'd expect Araujo who's been deemed captain material for years to handle this differently and more elegantly. Instead he took it like a teenage kid and sulked.

This is a myopic take, you can’t pile on the player publicly immediately after the match the way Gundogan did

It left no room for Araujo to accept or apologize, instead to be thrown under the bus by a fellow teammate and in the absence of the club trying to manage the narrative rather than hanging him out to dry

It was a huge disappointment compounded by a debacle in the aftermath of assigning blame.

This never happened in Pep’s tenure and players made mistakes

Home of Barca Fans