4 - Ronald Araújo

Birdy

Ok I'm all for Araujo love but this is crazy.

It's silly to say... Puyol is better than Araujo?

What wouldn't Puyol be able to do that Araujo does?

If you put Puyol you have in mind from X year (you name it) to play CB at one of the next Barca games instead of Araujo.

Would he be able to cover ground as fast as Araujo? NO
Would he be able to win aerial duels as frequently as aRaujo? NO
Would be be able to not get dribbled past as frequently as Araujo? NO

You have it why then.

People idolize the legends of club so much that they infatuate their abilities and eventually distort reality.
Football is ten or more times faster, more physical, and more intense than it was 10 years ago

JamDav1982

As I said.

Vague nonsense not based on any reality.

There were a ton of faster and better jumpers in Puyols time as well that were nowhere near as good as him.

Inane stuff.

ajnotkeith

If you put Puyol you have in mind from X year (you name it) to play CB at one of the next Barca games instead of Araujo.

Would he be able to cover ground as fast as Araujo? NO
Would he be able to win aerial duels as frequently as aRaujo? NO
Would be be able to not get dribbled past as frequently as Araujo? NO

You have it why then.

People idolize the legends of club so much that they infatuate their abilities and eventually distort reality.
Football is ten or more times faster, more physical, and more intense than it was 10 years ago
All those things you wrote, especially about being dribbled past and aerial ability, are literally things he was amazing at and renowned for. He was the definition of a rock and his aerial ability was one of his best skills.

You can't even really compare them properly because Araujo was literally playing in Segunda B a couple years ago whilst Puyol has won everything there is to win in football and marked some of the best attackers in history.

You say Puyol wouldn't be able to cope with modern football when he has gone against legendary attackers like CR7 or Klose, Whilst Araujo last season was getting sent by the likes of Kenedy and Suarez against Granada. I love Araujo but there is more levels in football than you think. Its a big difference marking CR7 and marking Rioja from Alaves.

You try and put Araujo against prime CR7 and see how he does and then write here about 'athleticism'. Puyol went up against some of the best athletes the game has ever seen.

Last edited:

Porque

We got guys from Puyols era still playing at the highest level like Pique, Alves, Pepe and ... Dante.

So I think Puyol at his prime would be able to play at this level too.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
We got guys from Puyols era still playing at the highest level like Pique, Alves, Pepe and ... Dante.

So I think Puyol at his prime would be able to play at this level too.

This. 40 year old Alves still consistently one of the best on the ball in any game , meanwhile prime Puyol wouldn't cope in modern football :lol: :lol:

behindbrowneyes

Reliable sources some weeks ago said negotiations with Gavi and Araujo were stopped on good terms so they can focus on football in this crucial part of the season. I'm not worried yet and maybe things will advance after the Clasico when there will be an international break.

KingLeo10

Puyol was a lion. This is one of my favorite big moment, clutch aerial assaults along with Drogba versus Bayern.

Ramos, who was great in the air even back in 2010, deferred to Puyol. If we had the likes of him and Mascherano in defense still, there's no way we get consistently dunked on in Europe like we did with the likes of Pique and Busquets and especially Alba.

Gnidrologist

The "modern football" is one o those new shit buzzwords invented by media that NPC cling on as their antennas receive. Probably by british media too.

serghei

I reckon Puyol would be right next to Van Dijk as easily the best CBs in the world if he was in his prime now.

Raketa10

I have a bad feeling about his renewal. I don't think that he will continue. We'll probably extend Gavi soon but with Araujo there could be a real problem as his demands are apparently much higher than Barca is offering. According to some resources he demands a higher salary than Pedri and Fati have right now (6 mil per season).

Ronald Araujo has rejected Barca's latest contract renewal offer. Laporta starts to accept that the situation is complicated, and insisted that they will not go over their limits in the salary mass to renew him. They will not offer Araujo more than Pedri or Ansu. @OnzeTv3

Last edited:

Messi983

Don't see why we would compare his wages to Ansu or Pedri. Midfielders and forwards are usually paid more than defenders. Should be the best paid CB on the team which shouldn't really be too hard with Pique and Umtiti both taking significant pay cuts.

behindbrowneyes

He is currently one of the least paid players in the squad and earns less than €1M per year despite being a starter for his 2nd season now. Of course he is having higher demands. Rightfully so.

Home of Barca Fans