5 - Carles Puyol

Doobs

The Messiah
Going to be tough from now on. There might be hope in Abi coming into Puyi's place but we can't ask that much of him.

Is say Bartra should be thrown into the big games now.

Stric

Exactly. He may be good, but he's 18. If we're spending money (the text said 25 mil €), we might as well buy someone with experience.

Back on topic.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football...icle/the-recovery-period-will-be-set-by-puyol

2013-03-16_ENTRENO_55.v1363438963.JPG

Dr Cugat told the press conference: “The recovery period will be set by Puyol. It could be a month and a half, or two or three”. At the same time he stressed the player’s positive attitude and described himself as “optimistic” for the 34 year old’s continued career in the top flight.

Dr Pruna also confirmed that “Puyol has been carrying the injury since October, since the away game to Getafe. It came to the point that he said he couldn’t play any more with this pain. Taking advantage of the international break and the fact that he has a chance of getting fit again before the end of the season, we decided to do it now. If not there was a risk of the pain getting worse. The pain wasn’t going away and this has a psychological effect. The decisive stage of the season was getting nearer and a solution had to be found. It was for the best”.

He also said that the arthroscopy was “lighter” than the one last summer and revealed that it was the player himself who insisted that it should be done as soon as possible and that he is a hurry to get back to playing. He explained that even in the operating theatre, “he didn’t stop saying 'Juanjo (Brau), tonight we begin the recovery”.

On Xavi:

Dr Pruna also spoke about Xavi Hernández, who will miss the Rayo match due to a thigh problem and has been called up for international duty with Spain. “We’re worried about him. He’s carrying a thigh injury. The post Milan consequences were minimal but it isn’t cured. We’ve spoken to the national team doctors and they’ve told us they’ll look after him and decide what is best”.

I thought Xavi had an Achilles tendon problem?

Armando929

Yeah Puyol won't be able to hold up for much longer. A CB is a must this off season, no ifs ands or buts.

If we're going to splash the big money, then its gotta be on our defense and plus it'll give Pique some competition and prevent him from getting too comfortable.

Stric

Yeah Puyol won't be able to hold up for much longer. A CB is a must this off season, no ifs ands or buts.

If we're going to splash the big money, then its gotta be on our defense and plus it'll give Pique some competition and prevent him from getting too comfortable.

I doubt it will give Pique competition. We're one CB short as it is. Pique is our most played CB. If we buy one, then we'll just have one to rotate with Puyol (and Mascherano). Pique will still be our go to guy. We should really either buy two, or buy one and start trusting Bartra. If you exclude Bartra and Abidal, who are not playing, we have 2 CBs in our entire squad. We need a backup for each, honestly. One really good CB and Bartra should be enough to cover all of that.

dostoevskij

its simple, we need one top class CB, who will be the standard daily life partner of Pique! Mascherano as back up and option and Puyol for he really important games, so that his body can deal with it!!!

i would prefer Hummels for this role, for the known and well-discussed reasons!!!

Indignado

its simple, we need one top class CB, who will be the standard daily life partner of Pique! Mascherano as back up and option and Puyol for he really important games, so that his body can deal with it!!!

i would prefer Hummels for this role, for the known and well-discussed reasons!!!

The problem is: If we keep Masche, we won't have enough money to buy a top class CB and a top class GK (and possibly even a forward). We need to get rid of some players, even if it's hard...

Edman

I love that photo. Every time I hear someone talk about puyol's hair I correct them and say "His mane!". Now I have the picture to proof it!

The problem is: If we keep Masche, we won't have enough money to buy a top class CB and a top class GK (and possibly even a forward). We need to get rid of some players, even if it's hard...

Don't we have a 50m transfer budget? Should be enough for a CB (around 30m) and GK (around 20m). We'll have a bit more after selling Valdes. The club might want to sell a bit of dead wood though (they'll definitely want to sell some if they plan on getting a new forward as well).

Home of Barca Fans