5 - Carles Puyol

hellsangel1

This is really bad news but not a huge surprise for me to be honest- the guy is old now and his body has a lot of mileage.

Puyol has been injury prone for quite some time now and he rarely ever plays any back-to-back games. It really shows just how messed up Barca's transfer policy was in the summer and has been for some time regarding defenders. To not buy a proper CB and then sign and stick Song in there was beyond ridiculous and I said it back then that it could come back to haunt us. I really hope we avoid Madrid in the semis (if we play close to our best we should be good enough to get by PSG).

This is really bad news but not a huge surprise for me to be honest- the guy is old now and his body has a lot of mileage.

Puyol has been injury prone for quite some time now and he rarely ever plays any back-to-back games. It really shows just how messed up Barca's transfer policy was in the summer and has been for some time regarding defenders. To not buy a proper CB and then sign and stick Song in there was beyond ridiculous and I said it back then that it could come back to haunt us. I really hope we avoid Madrid in the semis (if we play close to our best we should be good enough to get by PSG).

Well, we played Pique and Mascherano in the first leg of the super cup and we almost won that game 4-1. Anyways, Puyol's predicted recovery time is 4 to 8 weeks, so there's a good chance he'll be back for the semis. I wouldn't want to face Madrid even with him though, simply coz they're good against us. I think we can beat them if we play at our best, but I still think they'd be the worst opponents for us.

Dortmund and Bayern (the other 2 favorites to go through, though Juve could have something to say about that) are also tough, but I'd rather get them than RM, since RM have been good against us recently, even though Dortmund (arguably) and Bayern have been better than RM overall this season.

Tbh, out of the other 3 favorites to go through to the semis, I think Bayern would be the best draw for us, even though they've been the best team out of the 3, since Dortmund and Real are counter-attacking teams, and even though Bayern are a better team than those 2, I wouldn't say they're that much better.

Last edited:

hellsangel1

Well, we played Pique and Mascherano in the first leg of the super cup and we almost won that game 4-1r.

It was a largely defensive Madrid side that seemed to just want a decent result to take to the Bernabeau. When they really opened up and went for Barca in the 2nd leg, they opened us up with astonishing ease and regularity.

Indignado

Puyol's style of play/attitude on the field is injury prone.

haha so true. I remember him hurting his shoudler or whatever because he jumped 5 metres high in a completely unimportant game. I remember shouting at him for being so stupid.

Maria

It was poor management..we lost Abidal in March(because let's be honest, even if he comes back, considering his age, he won't be the same again), Puyol had another surgery, our best CB had his worst season with us and we saw that Tito didn't trust Bartra..at that moment the sensible thing to do was buy a CB(and that's what Tito said in his first press conference) but instead Zubi preffered to buy another DM that can supposedly play as a CB. And the cherry on the top was that Puyol has been playing injured since October. That's something that a club like Arsenal would do, not one that wants to win CL and La Liga every year..

Garrus

It was poor management..we lost Abidal in March(because let's be honest, even if he comes back, considering his age, he won't be the same again), Puyol had another surgery, our best CB had his worst season with us and we saw that Tito didn't trust Bartra..at that moment the sensible thing to do was buy a CB(and that's what Tito said in his first press conference) but instead Zubi preffered to buy another DM that can supposedly play as a CB. And the cherry on the top was that Puyol has been playing injured since October. That's something that a club like Arsenal would do, not one that wants to win CL and La Liga every year..
Who said Zubi was the one who decided on DM-CB (song)?, I don't remember reading about such a thing, And what do i remember is tito saying these exact words in a press conference and i quote:
"Bartra is at the first team because I wanted it. We had the money to sign a center back this past summer, but I told the club to save it."

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Fails to make much sense that CB has been ignored and Song was brought in but I wonder if Zubi simply miscalculated Silva's situation....Then again I doubt we could've competed with Qatari money

CB has to be the priority this summer and Zubi/Tito can't afford to not land a star

F

Flavia

Who said Zubi was the one who decided on DM-CB (song)?, I don't remember reading about such a thing, And what do i remember is tito saying these exact words in a press conference and i quote:
"Bartra is at the first team because I wanted it. We had the money to sign a center back this past summer, but I told the club to save it."

I remember that line too. Somehow they actually believed Song could play cb if needed. This has to be corrected this summer.

Barcastuff
Media interpretations of yesterday's post-surgery press conference on Puyol's knee go from 1 month out, over 6 weeks, to 2-3 months

Stric

I heard some rumors that Barca will buy Marquinhos from Roma in the summer window. We might as well play Bartra, then...

I remember that line too. Somehow they actually believed Song could play cb if needed. This has to be corrected this summer.

Barcastuff
Media interpretations of yesterday's post-surgery press conference on Puyol's knee go from 1 month out, over 6 weeks, to 2-3 months

Knowing Puyol, it'll hopefully be on the lower end of the 1-3 months.

I heard some rumors that Barca will buy Marquinhos from Roma in the summer window. We might as well play Bartra, then...

Isn't Marquinhos better though? From what I hear, he has world-class potential. I'd still rather get a more experienced CB than a prospect though.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans