6 - Carles Alena

Messigician

I have more muscle in my calf than Puig has in his entire body. That does not mean Puig cant outrun or dribble past me at ease.

Physically is overated in football talent always comes out on top.

xXKonan

For me they are different player types. Puig is almost a copy of iniesta. Alwaya looking to get something going forward, rarely passing backwards.
Alena is more calm and controlling like a xavi type(but not as agile as xavi was)
Alena is an attacking Midfielder actually. If anything the only players that are with the B team that closer to the Xavi-Busi style is Oriol and Monchu.

Gnidrologist

Alena is more likely to succeed than any La Masia player since Pep left but people are obsessed with shitting on him because he's not as flashy as Puig... :rolleyes:
Flashy? No, it's because he makes things happen and have impressive set of tools for his age. It doesn't mean Alena is suddenly bad or anything. Alena for me seems very solid all-arounder that could be good asset for any team, but i can't see anything that he excels at.

Messigician

Flashy? No, it's because he makes things happen and have impressive set of tools for his age. It doesn't mean Alena is suddenly bad or anything. Alena for me seems very solid all-arounder that could be good asset for any team, but i can't see anything that he excels at.

Excels at being well rounded

God Serena

Alena has better stats at a higher level than Puig. If anyone "Makes things happen" it's Alena, and it's no competition really.

Porque

I wouldn't say Alena is anything like Xavi to be honest. I been watching him since age 14/15 and one of the points against him is he doesn't have enough "pausa" in his game like a traditional Barcelona midfielder.

Thats why, Puig looks like butter and Alena like margarine, because Puig is playing that Barcelona midfield style and slots in instantly despite his physical stature.

Pimienta had Alena playing more subdued for his B team last year and he was good, but when the games got stretched or Barcelona B was losing he would revert to his natural instincts. Vertical passes, vertical dribbles and long range shootings. A midfield wildcard. Like I said before, he has the style to build an attacking midfield around (think Fabien Ruiz) that a lower or midtable team would love to have.

Alena was/is a huge talent. But maybe his style in midfield is not going to get him alot of minutes right now as he will create alot of turnovers.

In Rijkaards days he would spot the talent of Alena and give him 25 minutes in AMR, 30 minutes in AML, 20 minutes in central midfield like Iniesta early days. Meanwhile Valverde struggles to even rotate an injured player.

MTL_Barca

We can't expect la masia talents to just straight up walk into our starting line-up, that's not gonna happen especially with Valverde being our coach.

Idk if Alena has what it takes to become a future starter or world class player but its way to early to judge. Probably not just because its really rare and would be incredible but let's just wait how he does, hopefully with a coach that has more trust in young players next season.

vlad

I have more muscle in my calf than Puig has in his entire body. That does not mean Puig cant outrun or dribble past me at ease.

Physically is overated in football talent always comes out on top.

physicality is not crucial factor, but lack of it could cost you winning tournament like CL, wonder why pep's barca couldnt defend CL title while having best technical midfield ever and they had problem with chelsea, inter? Then later atletico 2 times in CL, roma for example destroyed barca on crossess and set pieces, so you cant say its all about talent

Messigician

physicality is not crucial factor, but lack of it could cost you winning tournament like CL, wonder why pep's barca couldnt defend CL title while having best technical midfield ever and they had problem with chelsea, inter? Then later atletico 2 times in CL, roma for example destroyed barca on crossess and set pieces, so you cant say its all about talent

Ok and what about the times we destroyed teams like that? Eg Real Madrid under Mourinho, Ferguson's united etc.

vlad

Ok and what about the times we destroyed teams like that? Eg Real Madrid under Mourinho, Ferguson's united etc.

Because united decided to play open football without much contact, and vs real, pepe's red card decided first match, until then barca wasnt much better team on the pitch, im talking about CL

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Would be great to see him with Arthur. Think they'd compliment each other nicely with Arthur in a controlling (Xavi) role and Alena as a more attacking midfielder (Iniesta).

Home of Barca Fans