7 - Ferran Torres

malvolio

Capi knows. Ferran isn't the first striker to have a TRASH game in front of the goal. Messi had these games as well where you just knew he wouldn't score.

i think the sooner we realize he's no striker the better for him. feels like he's pushed into a role he's not suited for.

winger(inside forward) seems to be his position.

Andresito

Staff member
i think the sooner we realize he's no striker the better for him. feels like he's pushed into a role he's not suited for.

Attacker might've been a better word. But yeah, LW suits him better.

What's positive is that he's finding chances to score. Goals will come, I'm sure of it.

Raketa10

I 100% agree. He is definitely not a natural goalscorer. That's visible from the moon. He will never have that much needed composure in front of the goal. That alibi slide before his first missed chance yesterday was definitely a sign he has a confidence problem. IMHO his best position is RW. Even Torres himself said that.

Last edited:

Raketa10

How does he compare to Vini from 1-2 years ago?

Look I am the first one who said we need to give him time but I just don't see him as a No.9. He will probably play as a RW when Fati comes back. I don't even think Xavi intends to use him as a striker. Regarding Vinicius, they are totally different players. Vinicius is a much faster and more direct player, we shouldn't compare those two. IMHO Vinicius is also not a natural goalscorer.

I sincerely hope that next year we'll watch Fati-Haaland-Torres attack. :) That would be something special.

Nazario1985

People comparing him to vini are either blind or hate RM soo much they don't even watch Vini !!

How can anyone compare a wonder kid like Vini to Torres ?

malvolio

I 100% agree. He is definitely not a natural goalscorer. That's visible from the moon. He will never have that much needed composure in front of the goal. That alibi slide before his first missed chance yesterday was definitely a sign he has a confidence problem. IMHO his best position is RW. Even Torres himself said that.

it's not only about the composure in front of goal, that might improve once he gets a few in. but even looking at how he strikes the ball makes me think he is no striker. fati is much more incisive and strikes the ball with inside and outside of his foot(like suarez does for example).

torres also has a hard time dealing with opposition defenders. dribbling is hit and miss but more importantly he can't impose himself when trying to escape defenders(either by burst of speed or pure physicality). all his chances yesterday came from positions where he was left unmarked and had time to take his shot. if he has a defender on his back it's game over.

finally, he's a poor header of the ball. not mandatory for a striker, but i've seen midgets like lautaro or aguero heading better.

Raketa10

it's not only about the composure in front of goal, that might improve once he gets a few in. but even looking at how he strikes the ball makes me think he is no striker. fati is much more incisive and strikes the ball with inside and outside of his foot(like suarez does for example).

torres also has a hard time dealing with opposition defenders. dribbling is hit and miss but more importantly he can't impose himself when trying to escape defenders(either by burst of speed or pure physicality). all his chances yesterday came from positions where he was left unmarked and had time to take his shot. if he has a defender on his back it's game over.

finally, he's a poor header of the ball. not mandatory for a striker, but i've seen midgets like lautaro or aguero heading better.

I agree, but that's the reason we need to utilize him properly (on the right wing) and not as a No.9 which he clearly isn't.

BBZ8800

How does he compare to Vini from 1-2 years ago?

Vinicius had more attacking/shooting talent in him.
Till the age of 17, youth NT teams:
Vinicius: 29 matches, 24 goals
Ferran: 24 matches, 2 goals

Vinicius was always a forward. Though, he had finishing problems at Real in his first seasons.
On the other hand, Ferran is also having finishing problems. The key difference is that he never was a finisher and never had some crazy finishing talent in him, unlike Vinicius.

Imo, people are grasping at straws.
Yesterday we have seen posts how some Cfs weren't too clinical when they were young (CR7, for example, lol).
Now he is compared to Vinicius.
Neither Cr7 or Vinicius have too much in common with Ferran.

I mean, Torres in not an absolute shit of a player, he has some skills.
But imo, he will never be good enough winger for a top team, if we want to win titles again.
About him being a no9 or a false 9, lol, I don't even want to comment.

So, I am not sure what are you hoping for about this guy.
Having a winger who will never dribble past player and who will play his "trademark" 1-2 backpass & run into an open space-move to get rid of the opponents?

I get it:
1. we are bad
2. we are broke
3. we bought an expensive player and now people's brains need to find some excuses and hope how to fit him into a team.
The times are too hard and it is tough to accept it and say: another horrible, shitty, overpaid transfer which will get us nowhere.

But Jam will say: but he is better than the current options so it was worth to buy him :lol:
For 10m, fine.
For 65m, lololololo, no.

Last edited:

Bobo32

55m here and there, aren't you football fans, why worry about one transfer fee?
Barcelona will have a lot to spend in the coming years, what is important is getting the right players, who don't sit on too expensive contracts long term. Ferran Torres has so far shown a lot of potential to be a very good squad player for years. With tweaked shots from him he'd score three more goals yesterday, and if he gained some power in his sprints he'd maybe score two more than that. He already scored a penalty in a perfect way.
Of course it would be better to buy him a couple of years ago, but moaning about 65m just looks petty to me, it is about finding the right players.

Andresito

Staff member
Not sure if he was even crying. But it shows commitment, not comparable to Alba's mental breakdown at half time. Ferran isn't a player who gives up. You don't demand to become captain at Valencia as a teenager if you don't have balls.

He knows what to improve from the game and if he's that visibly upset and disappointed with himself, he deep down knows he can/should bury those chances.

Players and coaches describe Ferran as someone who knows how to shoot, the goal against Athletic wasn't a fluke. Eto'o and Suarez also had these games. It's all in his head. I think he has a much better natural shooting technique than Vini. Next time he scores a hattrick from those chances.

Youth goals matter very little btw. Samed Yesil scored 20G in 21M for Germany U17 and 8 in 7 for Germany U19. Ballon d'Or candidate today yeah.

malvolio

55m here and there, aren't you football fans, why worry about one transfer fee?
Barcelona will have a lot to spend in the coming years, what is important is getting the right players, who don't sit on too expensive contracts long term. Ferran Torres has so far shown a lot of potential to be a very good squad player for years. With tweaked shots from him he'd score three more goals yesterday, and if he gained some power in his sprints he'd maybe score two more than that. He already scored a penalty in a perfect way.
Of course it would be better to buy him a couple of years ago, but moaning about 65m just looks petty to me, it is about finding the right players.

at the end of the day we shouldn't care what coutinho, griezmann and dembele cost, right? don't think anyone loses sleep at night over how much barca are paying for players.

it's more about the frustration at not buying better players(better fits) for the money. for 65M you can get lots of young forwards, with a bit of scouting. feels like our board would have got dani olmo if torres wasn't available.

personally i would have liked adeyemi - faster, better dribbler, explosive, good finisher, shoots with both feet.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans