7 - Ferran Torres

ajnotkeith

He is giving more than mister 1 goal per season man.

Dembele has done as well as you can ask of anyone in the role he has. He averages an assist almost every 80 minutes or so iirc. Without his assists you don't win all these games.

He scored double digits in his first pro season when he was like 18 with Rennes, it's not that he can't cut in and shoot, he is not being told to.

mc_lovin

Dembele has done as well as you can ask of anyone in the role he has. He averages an assist almost every 80 minutes or so iirc. Without his assists you don't win all these games.

He scored double digits in his first pro season when he was like 18 with Rennes, it's not that he can't cut in and shoot, he is not being told to.

We played Dembele as an outlet/receiver last season and his finishing was utter trash. He's an okay player, but injuries ruined him. He just doesn't look as sharp as he once did anymore.

MTL_Barca

Why was he this expensive ?

I honestly think we could have gotten him for 40 mil.

Playing for Man City, long contract, young, attacker, Spanish NT player in the winter market. Not exactly the best circumstances to get a cheap deal.

Still think he's a good player and will be solid long-term for us. Also that amount of money isn't really anything crazy. Wasn't before covid and won't be going forward with more and more money coming in. Just look at some of the players that were sold for 60+ million, so many even significantly more expensive than Ferran:

Hernandez, Nicolas Pepe, Kepa, Osimhen, Lemar, Morata, Jovic, Ndombele, Keita, Martial, Fred, Lacazette etc.

If Barca was/is in a position where that kind of transfers makes a lot of sense is a different story of course but i don't think the transfer fee was something out of the ordinary. We got what we paid for, and if we weren't in a situation without any established forwards AND crippling debt Ferran would've been a very good addition imo, just not a world class player leading the team.

Last edited:

iniestaGOAT

We played Dembele as an outlet/receiver last season and his finishing was utter trash. He's an okay player, but injuries ruined him. He just doesn't look as sharp as he once did anymore.

Dembele and ferran were the only two players who were average last game. Rest of the team sucked.

Laplacian

And then in Dortmund he scored 6 goals...
And last year he scored 8 goals at best...

Yeah it's Xavi's fault the lad doesn't have the brain to find and exploit space like normal wingers can. Xavi told him not to cut inside, fucking please. lmao

jamrock

Yeah it's Xavi's fault the lad doesn't have the brain to find and exploit space like normal wingers can. Xavi told him not to cut inside, fucking please. lmao

Yep let's have the one player providing width on the right side cut inside to take a shot at goal, so laplacian can 1) point out that obvious a little bit more & perhaps hate him a little bit less.

mc_lovin

Yep let's have the one player providing width on the right side cut inside to take a shot at goal, so laplacian can 1) point out that obvious a little bit more & perhaps hate him a little bit less.

This whole width thing gets overblown. Dembele cuts inside enough, mainly to create from midfield, where's the "width" in that? He just sucks doing it in the final 3rd.

He has a ton of freedom in Xavi's setup.

Last edited:

jamrock

This whole width thing gets overblown. Dembele cuts inside enough, mainly to create from midfield, where's the "width" in that? He just sucks doing it in the final 3rd.

He has a ton of freedom in Xavi's setup.

Of course he cuts inside, again that's obvious, but he stays wide more often than some would like, Because we need the width, imagine us playing with both dembele & Torres both constantly coming inside, but unlike with Torres & alba, we have no outline on the right, it would be tactical suicide, doesn't take a football genius to see that, it's pretty much what was happening when we had Messi & no decent right back.

Ppl talk about mane & Salah forgetting who the fullbacks are that KEEP THE WIDTH for Liverpool, it's a very simple & fundamental part of football.

Whether dembele sucks at coming in or sucks at scoring is irrelevant, he doesn't do it as often as Torres for example because that's clear as day the tactical setup.

mc_lovin

I mean it's not either/or. You can hold width and still be a reliable goalscorer and make good runs - it's pretty much the new meta. It's just not Dembele's game. He is a creator at heart.

And I have honestly no problem with his non-existent goalscoring, but with the erratic nature of his play.

jamrock

I mean it's not either/or. You can hold width and still be a reliable goalscorer and make good runs - it's pretty much the new meta. It's just not Dembele's game. He is a creator at heart.

And I have honestly no problem with his non-existent goalscoring, but with the erratic nature of his play.

Now we're talking the erratic natur of his play is/should be an annoyance to everyone, it really grinds my gears personally.

ajnotkeith

How many G+A do you think most wingers have?

Outside of the top top wingers wingers don't score 30 goals a season. Nobody said he is as good as Mane or Salah.

Last edited:

JohnN

I see Torres as an alternative for Pedro in xavi's mind. Not the best at something particular buy always trying, getting in positions and combining with others. Ofcourse, for me at least, Pedro was the best complementing piece for our star stacked squad and he was clutch too, so no direct comparison in any way, just trying to explain he is not considered or expected to be the next villa.

Joan

Think both the club and Xavi expect more from Torres than Pedro provided. He’s meant to last and be one of the biggest stars of the club. It’s questionable whether he succeeds at that.

serghei

Pedro is tremendously underrated. He was like a Sadio Mane today.

Ferran Torres is slightly under what I expect of him in his first season.

Home of Barca Fans