8 - Pedri

serghei

He's gonna be a mini Iniesta but without ever getting very close to his quality. He's gonna be fine as long as people don't get carried away and put insane pressure on him.

ebc_99

let's hope he doesn't want to leave Barca because he thinks he can play for a bigger team.

Afellay(who became an analyst) is calling him the exact copy of Iniesta.

This is Barcaforum right? :lol: bigger team!! there is nobody bigger than Barca, he is going nowhere.

He is a better player now than Iniesta was at 18, and they play very similar, the Iniesta that we know developed later in his 20s, Pedri is ahead of the curve right now so let's hope he continues along the same line.

fergus90

To be fair people can label him whatever really, Iniesta of course is one of the best players in the clubs history so even if we get 70% of that from Pedri it’s a great signing.

His positional sense and ability to provide rhythm to the play at his age is truly remarkable.

mc_lovin

We will see how Pedri looks when (if) he develops more strength to hold his ground, which was a huge part of Iniesta's game. Some of his movement looks like a carbon copy already though.

Comparing him to Iniesta is a lazy comparison.

Comparisons are always lazy.. but I can see where they are coming from.

Last edited:

Bobo32

I think comparing age 1:1 is a bit silly.

The young Iniesta was more of a dribbler in his first years for Barcelona A, he was a great player often coming in as a sub, changing games. He couldn't shoot, but had great close control, was very agile, and made good decisions. Pedri looked more like Iniesta in his first months, now he is more like a Xavi with much worse decisions (he doesn't have the same vision, yet)

Pedri obviously gets to play at a higher level earlier than most other players. Vision and style can easily be developed with age, my question is if he will develop or not - I think he gained some bad habits during last season when he was auto-picked every game. It will be interesting to follow, and I like very much how he plays for Spain - although I still think he gets a bit overhyped because of his age.

Bobo32

To be fair people can label him whatever really, Iniesta of course is one of the best players in the clubs history so even if we get 70% of that from Pedri it’s a great signing.

His positional sense and ability to provide rhythm to the play at his age is truly remarkable.

Of course he was a great signing, that seemed obvious even watching compilations before he arrived. Koeman was one of the few who didn't believe in him back then probably, it was good that he changed his mind!

Joan

Probably compared to Iniesta because of a few movements and the way he moves. Boy's like silk on the pitch. Joy to watch.

Devils

Few traits similar to Iniesta.

Doesn't have his ghosting dribbling ability, which is one of the key things Iniesta was known for,.

Porque

He is actually closer to a young Toni Kroos. Kroos at 16 was also like Pedri at Palmas where he liked to get the ball and do long dribbles with it.

Then matured into a more static midfielder who distributed the ball well but doesn't pivot amazing in 360. Instead prefers to use backheels and 360 passes from a static position- like Pedri.

Doesn't have the Kroos long range thunderbolts unfortunately though. Maybe they can come, he scored a few from range at Las Palmas.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Iniesta was a generational talent. Most of these guys being hyped right now including Pedri who's a great talent aren't exactly at that level. Even guys like Haaland and Mbappe might be the best players of their generations, but I'm not sure they're exactly that one in a generation type of talent. They don't seem capable of creating chances for themselves.

Zidane82

He's gonna be a mini Iniesta but without ever getting very close to his quality. He's gonna be fine as long as people don't get carried away and put insane pressure on him.

We do not know HOW good he can be .. I do not think Iniesta was even close to starting for Barca let alone being so influential at the Euros at just 18 years of age

Zidane82

This is Barcaforum right? :lol: bigger team!! there is nobody bigger than Barca, he is going nowhere.

He is a better player now than Iniesta was at 18, and they play very similar, the Iniesta that we know developed later in his 20s, Pedri is ahead of the curve right now so let's hope he continues along the same line.

Exactly !!
Were Iniesta and / or Xavi running games at 18 ??

Home of Barca Fans