Porque

Nice team.

Pedri feeding Sterling.
Sterling diving and winning penalties.
Lukaku missing
Chiesa scoring the rebounds.

Perfect.

Porque

The year is 2030. The Puig vs Pedri debate rages on.

Pedri has established himself as starter for Spain and Barcelona. Puig the eternal enigma is now a top 3 midfielder in the world but still waiting for the manager to give him a chance.

After the Puig/Pedri wars of 2028, the ruins of the old world lay dust to the potential of the new.

Patiently waiting, refusing to go on loan, and with a golf handicap of -5, could 2031, finally, be the year of the Puig?

Bobo32

I still prefer Puig, especially stylistically of course but also qualitatively. Will be fun to see Puig again this preseason and hopefully in la liga too later!

It will also be interesting to see Pedri in the olympics. Spain are pretty clear favourites, and skimming through the squads it seems only Brazil (with Dani Alves!) can compete in terms of names Bobo32 is aware of... But let's see. In any way, Pedri will be the clear star again, I guess he played like that in Las Palmas... In Barcelona and also in Spain, he has still been a sort of complementary player, even if he was the only one to be named in the all-star team.

edit: and to be honest, if he takes Spain to gold in the olympics in a somewhat spectacular way, he could be listed pretty high in the balloon door competition.

Joan

When you hear about all the bums being linked to the Ballon d'Or, it's only a matter of time before this cat wins it!

I still prefer Puig, especially stylistically of course but also qualitatively. Will be fun to see Puig again this preseason and hopefully in la liga too later!

It will also be interesting to see Pedri in the olympics. Spain are pretty clear favourites, and skimming through the squads it seems only Brazil (with Dani Alves!) can compete in terms of names Bobo32 is aware of... But let's see. In any way, Pedri will be the clear star again, I guess he played like that in Las Palmas... In Barcelona and also in Spain, he has still been a sort of complementary player, even if he was the only one to be named in the all-star team.

edit: and to be honest, if he takes Spain to gold in the olympics in a somewhat spectacular way, he could be listed pretty high in the balloon door competition.

I respect the constancy of your delusion

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
So he is going to Tokyo after all. A bit disappointed. Did we even put up a fight at all? Or Pedri himself insisted on going?

vegitot

The year is 2030. The Puig vs Pedri debate rages on.

Pedri has established himself as starter for Spain and Barcelona. Puig the eternal enigma is now a top 3 midfielder in the world but still waiting for the manager to give him a chance.

After the Puig/Pedri wars of 2028, the ruins of the old world lay dust to the potential of the new.

Patiently waiting, refusing to go on loan, and with a golf handicap of -5, could 2031, finally, be the year of the Puig?

Don't forget Maricky will have to witness Pedri lift Golden boy award in front of him. That will fire him up and show his insane cheerleading skill from the bench.

fergus90

I just looked at the previous winners (wasn't really aware that it even existed until Haaland won it last year). Seems like a very mixed bag of superstars and players whose careers died suddenly.

Pato, Balotelli, Gotze, Anderson included.

mc_lovin

I just looked at the previous winners (wasn't really aware that it even existed until Haaland won it last year). Seems like a very mixed bag of superstars and players whose careers died suddenly.

Statistically it's still rather good to get the award ;-) Most of them (>50% easily) succeeded. If you compare that to the other top talents, who didn't get the award, and just disappeared.

Bobo32

Pato and Balotelli were very much overhyped when they were very young because they were young.
Gotze had his illness I guess, I didn't read up on it too much but stuff like this can happen, maybe he was going to be pretty great otherwise.
Anderson was the type of midfielder who could dominate sometimes due to his physique but I think there was a lack of professionalism too, on top of lack of potential?

Even though I think a lot of people overrate Pedri right now, I think he is more promising than those players you list ever were.

fergus90

Statistically it's still rather good to get the award ;-) Most of them (>50% easily) succeeded. If you compare that to the other top talents, who didn't get the award, and just disappeared.

Don't get me wrong I'm pleased for him and think he's a tremendous player. Just interesting to see players you forget were so promising at one point in time and how things turn out sometimes.

Home of Barca Fans