8 - Pedri

vegitot

Don't get me wrong I'm pleased for him and think he's a tremendous player. Just interesting to see players you forget were so promising at one point in time and how things turn out sometimes.

Pretty sure the last Barca player won this award now is a great player.
Of course some are disapointment like Anderson, Pato or Martial... But Pedri is different. He is more discipline.

fergus90

Of course some are disapointment like Anderson, Pato or Martial... But Pedri is different. He is more discipline.

Was just going through the list really, nothing more than that. You just forget sometimes how highly rated people were and some things turn out well and some don't for various reasons.

khaled_a_d

Was just going through the list really, nothing more than that. You just forget sometimes how highly rated people were and some things turn out well and some don't for various reasons.

Indeed, although sometimes it is also about the competition they had.
Players born 1988-1991 was sort of underwhelming tbh and the most successful ones were those who blossomed later in their career. Players like Bale or Lewa weren't that big of a deal in 2008 or 2009. Also it is a European award so Neymar was ineligible for it in 2011 & 2012 while also players can't win it twice, so De Ligt for example won it when he wasn't better than Mpabbe

Devils

Pedriesta

rejoice.png

Andresito

Staff member
The Golden Boy award is mostly dominated by 20-year old winners.

We talk about how early Pedri burst on to the scene, but he'll still be 19 when he wins it, same as Renato Sanches, Mbappe and De Ligt.

The only 18-year old to win it is... Messi.

vegitot

We talk about how early Pedri burst on to the scene, but he'll still be 19 when he wins it, same as Renato Sanches, Mbappe and De Ligt.

And Messi is the last Barca player to win it.

vegitot

His offensive is outstanding this Euro. Top most of attacking stats (except goal and assist).

Koeman should use him like Lucho, give him more offensive role.

behindbrowneyes

Imagine if Ansu didn't get this fucking injury and his form had continued like that. Him and Pedri would probably compete with each other for the Golden Boy Award.

Messi983

I just looked at the previous winners (wasn't really aware that it even existed until Haaland won it last year). Seems like a very mixed bag of superstars and players whose careers died suddenly.

Pato, Balotelli, Gotze, Anderson included.

Pato and Gotze were ruined by injuries while Balotelli and Anderson didn't have the right mentality. Personally also think they were both overrated but should've still done more with their careers.

He's only 18 but there is no doubt Pedri is mature way beyond his years so only injuries can prevent him having a great career.

And Messi is the last Barca player to win it.

The last and only one (so far).

fergus90

Pato and Gotze were ruined by injuries while Balotelli and Anderson didn't have the right mentality. Personally also think they were both overrated but should've still done more with their careers.

He's only 18 but there is no doubt Pedri is mature way beyond his years so only injuries can prevent him having a great career.

The last and only one (so far).

Yeah, Pedri seems far more level-headed and also plays the game way beyond his years.

I just can't remember players like Anderson being THAT impressive to win it, but 2008 was quite a while ago now so perhaps my memory is failing me.

Bobo32

Yeah, Pedri seems far more level-headed and also plays the game way beyond his years.

I just can't remember players like Anderson being THAT impressive to win it, but 2008 was quite a while ago now so perhaps my memory is failing me.

Nah I don't remember Anderson playing as well as Pedri either, but they are of very different styles obviously.

I think a lot of people make a lot more of Pedris age than should be done. He seems to have both good mentality and a good body so far, but I can still see him stagnate from here. And he does have flaws to his game, although they are mostly of the kind that might go away with age and experience. No guarantees though!

Co0ter

Pato had a very mature footballing brain for his age. Countless injuries back to back though and he eventually lost concentration from it and never recovered. He was a brilliant player to watch though back at AC Milan early on. One of my biggest disappointments.

Jadentheman

Pato had a very mature footballing brain for his age. Countless injuries back to back though and he eventually lost concentration from it and never recovered. He was a brilliant player to watch though back at AC Milan early on. One of my biggest disappointments.

I remember the Brazil golden hype trio of Neymar, Ganso, and Pato.

Last ones to win it were Neymar and Messi. No pressure!

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans