8 - Pedri

Porque

Pedri took a long range shot vs Japan and almost scored.

giphy.gif

serghei

His shooting will improve. He knows it himself.

Lucho gives him more offensive role and no surpirse he excels. Look at Euro, he makes most completed passes in final third, most carries into final third, second most chance created from open play, most through ball...

When his shooting will improve and his dribble will be more incisive and a bit faster, we can talk about him becoming a world-class AM like a De Bruyne. Until then, CM is his best position.

vegitot

When his shooting will improve and his dribble will be more incisive and a bit faster, we can talk about him becoming a world-class AM like a De Bruyne. Until then, CM is his best position.

Not really a position like De Bruyne. I mean Koeman must givr him more offensive role, at least like Lucho did.

khaled_a_d

Can't play as an offensive midfielder without scoring some goals. He's a CM. He can play offensive passes as a CM with no problems. Besides, his defensive coverage is an underrated part of his game. I see more central midfielder material here, as he lacks goal threat which is a sign of great attacking midfielders.

What do we consider an AM? Was Iniesta an AM? because he was surely not a goal threat.
For comparison Iniesta scored 2 goals in 46 games when he was 21 in comparable to Pedri scoring 5 (2K minutes for 20 years old Iniesta to 3.5K minutes to 18 years old Pedri)

serghei

What do we consider an AM? Was Iniesta an AM? because he was surely not a goal threat.
For comparison Iniesta scored 2 goals in 46 games when he was 21 in comparable to Pedri scoring 5 (2K minutes for 20 years old Iniesta to 3.5K minutes to 18 years old Pedri)

Yes, but then if you compare Iniesta (who wasn't a consistent goal scorer, yet he scored some of the most key goals for Barcelona and Spain, which defined both eras, the Bridge golazo and the WC final decider), you have to hold Pedri to the same huge standard of dribbling and technique in tight spaces. And that's a tall order. Iniesta would maneuver the ball with utmost ease between 2-3 players in the tightest spaces. Haven't seen this from Pedri. We're talking more than top technique. We're talking about all-time great technique.

The "typical" AM so to speak, would require some kind of shooting ability, meaning goals and chance creation by shooting. Somebody like Silva and Fabregas among the Spanish players would be closest to what an AM should be profile wise.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

Iniesta is an outlier. He was man of the match in every big final. That's just unbelievable. Comparing anyone to him is unfair. The guy had ice in his veins.

I remember reading from Iniestas book that as a kid he was pretty good goal scorer, but somehow he lost that part as an adult. Maybe my memory is not working either but I believe that's what I read.

serghei

Iniesta is an outlier. He was man of the match in every big final. That's just unbelievable. Comparing anyone to him is unfair. The guy had ice in his veins.

I remember reading from Iniestas book that as a kid he was pretty good goal scorer, but somehow he lost that part as an adult. Maybe my memory is not working either but I believe that's what I read.

And even if he lost that frequency of scoring, Iniesta scored golazos in Clasicos, has 2 goals in Champions League semifinals, other goals in CL quarterfinals, 1 goal in the WC final. On very big occasions, he did score key goals.

Besides, Iniesta was part of teams with the best of the best of forwards, so when you have a selection of world-class attacking weapons like Eto'o, Villa, Messi, Henry, Pedro, Ronaldinho, Neymar, throughout most of your career, of course, it will affect your decision making. It is very possible that in teams with less stellar attackers he would've taken more responsibility in terms of scoring goals, and upped his contributions in this area.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

Goalscoring is way, way down in the list of the most important qualities of a CM/AM.

I have a hard time with Kevin de Bruyne as the gold standard as well, who's a highlight player, but kind of sucks in the most important games. I don't think his buildup is anything special.

FinBarcelonafan

Goalscoring is way, way down in the list of the most important qualities of a CM/AM.

I have a hard time with Kevin de Bruyne as the gold standard as well, who's a highlight player, but kind of sucks in the most important games. I don't think his buildup is anything special.

DeBruyne looks so clumsy. I guess when you are used to watch Iniesta who was so smooth it's tough to watch anything else after.

FinBarcelonafan

And even if he lost that frequency of scoring, Iniesta scored golazos in Clasicos, has 2 goals in Champions League semifinals, other goals in CL quarterfinals, 1 goal in the WC final. On very big occasions, he did score key goals.

Besides, Iniesta was part of teams with the best of the best of forwards, so when you have a selection of world-class attacking weapons like Eto'o, Villa, Messi, Henry, Pedro, Ronaldinho, Neymar, of course, it will affect your decision making. It is very possible that in teams with less stellar attackers he would've upped his goals output.

Yeah he had the ability to score and used it when the most needed. Big game player.

serghei

But the more important you are in the build-up, the closer you get to being a CM rather than an AM. That's the main distinction between CM and AM. CM is more concerned with build-up, passing network, defense, AM is a difference-maker in the last 3rd more, through dribbles, passing, and shots.

khaled_a_d

Yes, but then if you compare Iniesta (who wasn't a consistent goal scorer, yet he scored some of the most key goals for Barcelona and Spain,

Only when he was almost 25, which is 6 years away from Pedri.
Back in 2005-2008, no one was saying Iniesta can't be an Am because he wasn't scoring goals.
He had a great passing and dribbling, although the later wasn't world class until he was 23 or so.
And Barca is rebuilding, we can afford Pedri not being a top quality in those areas for next season or two. Having a CM like FDJ who can score also make them great fit together

FinBarcelonafan

Frenkie isn't even that good of a scorer. He could certainly improve that part of his game. He could be very valuable offensively, if he did that.

Frenkie shies away kicking the ball.

serghei

Only when he was almost 25, which is 6 years away from Pedri.
Back in 2005-2008, no one was saying Iniesta can't be an Am because he wasn't scoring goals.
He had a great passing and dribbling, although the later wasn't world class until he was 23 or so.
And Barca is rebuilding, we can afford Pedri not being a top quality in those areas for next season or two. Having a CM like FDJ who can score also make them great fit together

But as you know, a player trajectory is not mathematics. He can be better than Iniesta at X age, but this doesn't mean he'll be better than Iniesta at 25.

I don't think Pedri is world-class btw. There's some hype atm, which is nice to see because he's our player and we have high hopes for him, but he's not better than 2005 Iniesta for example. He's only 18, but he will need to keep developing.

Home of Barca Fans