8 - Pedri

BBZ8800

But even Ferran looked good at City.

So, City is out of bounds.
Everyone is better at City.

The realistic question is: how good can he be in a disfunctional, chaotic team?

Which we'll be in the next decade.

serghei

Yeah, but Ferran was mainly a sub who played in lesser games or was put in when the team was flying. Wasn't main man in pressure games. So even at City he didn't play as a starter to see how he reacts with pressure and expectations. That's leaving aside the tactics being much better.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Great question. I wanted to genuinely ask, do you think this is due to the manager, or the players we have, or something else (club culture, philosophy, whatever)?

MagIX

In contrast, I am very happy with Pedri,
For me, he is certainly not a problem us, possibly barca is a problem for him, given the trend of bad coaching / bad management linear and moving forward.

BBZ8800

On many points I agree with you, I sense that you are drifting further and further away and can't stand every bit of this club any more and getting really disgruntled about everything Barca, which I understand and can respect.

So what is your solution to all of this? Or suggestions? Do you want us to be like Madrid or something, basically it is team with a bit in everything but nothing definitive, just does enough to win. Or something else?

I am not that emotional and I would just switch to a style that is bringing titles.
But as seen during Valverde, our fans are proud and stubborn and they won't accept that.

So, there are only 3 options:
1. continue this way = and stay mediocre and outdated for decades
2. improve our team and reach heights as during Messi, Xavi and Pep = 99% never gonna happen
3. move to a new style = fans won't allow that

So, the number 1 is the only possible solution.
We will continue this way for years.

Great question. I wanted to genuinely ask, do you think this is due to the manager, or the players we have, or something else (club culture, philosophy, whatever)?

Currently:
1. City has the best manager out there
2. they have way better players
3. they are buying players with a long term plan of their manager. So, every player "makes sense". Our signings are on the other hand chaotic and impulsive.
4. their players are more technical and more physical

So, a better team on all levels.
They are now what we were on our peak in 2009-2011.

We are, on the other hand, what Arsenal or Liverpool were during our peak.

serghei

I am not that emotional and I would just switch to a style that is bringing titles.
But as seen during Valverde, our fans are proud and stubborn and they won't accept that.

2. improve our team and reach heights as during Messi, Xavi and Pep = 99% never gonna happen

Currently:
3. they are buying players with a long term plan of their manager. So, every player "makes sense". Our signings are on the other hand chaotic and impulsive.

What makes you think the style that sort of worked 3-4 years ago with EV and a different team, when we had world class players that were in their prime or not much past it, would work now? Does it seem to you Atletico are doing that great compared to us?

JamDav1982

Its not even that complcated.

Start with getting the basics into the team of work rate, pace, power etc and play in way that suits the players have until then.

Same shit been said for years.... look at full back area.. clear as day been fucked in that side of it for years without the pace/power required there. What do Barca do?

Spend 250m and end up renewing Roberto, signing Alonso and Bellerin and keeping Alba sweet.

Absolute lunacy.

With full backs that can do basics and get up and down pitch can play wide players closer to the striker and the mids further back and closer together to try and cominate the game.

serghei

Almost all signings we made this summer are players with good phisicality. Fullbacks were the low cost options, where we had to cut costs to get them registered. Can't build a whole team in a summer.

JamDav1982

Almost all signings we made this summer are players with good phisicality. Fullbacks were the low cost options, where we had to cut costs to get them registered. Can't build a whole team in a summer.

Were they fuck and the full back area lacks that still.

You are completely missing the point... Barca have spent 250m and neglected full back area. The fact it is an after thought when spent on other areas is worse.

Busi, Pedri and Gavi are the go to midfield.. lacks physicality as a three and doesnt play others ahead of them.

Lew is 34 and despite being fit lacks a bit in pace etc.

JohnN

Currently:

Valverde tactics from 2018-2020 wouldn't help us score much, because it was "Pass the ball to Messi and he will do something". It worked when Messi was able to carry the team and failed when he couldn't do it consistently. One instance of beating madrid without Messi (with Suarez taking his place) is the exception that confirms rule.
Our defense was better mostly (except Liverpool, Roma ties etc..) because we were much more compact. We had that luxury because we could open up teams with wonder goals / top combos from talented attackers etc..
Ev would not employ the same tactics with our current squad 100%, because we would never score.

Fans would allow a change of style now, because what we have is pure stinky shit.
1. No star players to carry (the classic barca way since forever which is missing)
2. Not good enough players for tiki taka (even our "gem" Pedri, is not on the level required being too slow with passes and inconsistent with close controls)
3. Average squad players who can only circulate the ball but have no idea how to penetrate with passes and no skill to 1v1.

This is easily the worst Barca I have ever seen and Xavi does not carry all the fault for this.
Of course he carries at least 50% for fielding done players a.k.a. Busquets, Pique, Alonso..

serghei

Were they fuck and the full back area lacks that still.

You are completely missing the point... Barca have spent 250m and neglected full back area. The fact it is an after thought when spent on other areas is worse.

It's because we had no room to also get that done effectively. Have to wait for the team to get more complete.

Home of Barca Fans