8 - Pedri

Gnidrologist

sargs.jpg

Co0ter

He looks out of breath in second halves. The run for the goal was golden. But then proceeds to keep the ball too long for no reason.

It's exhausting having to run and work twice as hard to make up for Busquets walking around all game.

Porque

He improved physically in the off season. Then the season started and he lost it.

Club or the player himself needs to look hard into maintenance nutrition and training for these players expecting growth.

Admittedly not so simple when you have a World Cup In the middle and amigo culture to the sides.

vegitot

He improved physically in the off season. Then the season started and he lost it.

Club or the player himself needs to look hard into maintenance nutrition and training for these players expecting growth.

Admittedly not so simple when you have a World Cup In the middle and amigo culture to the sides.

Too much cardio.

JamDav1982

Was sloppy like every other midfielder but also the one who showed the most quality moments and probably the strongest defensively.

The only midfielder Xavi keeps in a consistent position is Busi. The rest he decides from one week to the next how/where they will play.

JamDav1982

Pedri says Xavi always askes him to take risk, take on opponents, run into the box, shoot.

My mate works in EPL and says a lot of the top coaches talk a good game but in reality it is not what they tell team to do. They are aware of their 'image' and how want to be perceived.

Example was one well known Spanish coach who was out gesturing to players to keep calm and pass ball.. all for show.. while his assitant was trying to get message on to pump ball long.

Xavi has a bit of that in him. Talks about 'obligations' and 'intensity' to play a certain way.. when in reality he often tries to manage games with slower tempo or go more 'defensive' when ahead. He did that v Espanyol and it didnt work. It worked v Atleti to an extent but they rode their luck big time.

With Pedri I wouldnt be surprised if Xavi says all these things to him but isnt what is intructing when game is on either.

League wise he is getting results to be fair to him but it is a turgid watch. As is La Liga as a whole. Looks poor tactically and dated.

Last edited:

Temptation

My mate works in EPL and says a lot of the top coaches talk a good game but in reality it is not what they tell team to do. They are aware of their 'image' and how want to be perceived.

Example was one well known Spanish coach who was out gesturing to players to keep calm and pass ball.. all for show.. while his assitant was trying to get message on to pump ball long.

Xavi has a bit of that in him. Talks about 'obligations' and 'intensity' to play a certain way.. when in reality he often tries to manage games with slower tempo or go more 'defensive' when ahead. He did that v Espanyol and it didnt work. It worked v Atleti to an extent but they rode their luck big time.

With Pedri I wouldnt be surprised if Xavi says all these things to him but isnt what is intructing when game is on either.

League wise he is getting results to be fair to him but it is a turgid watch. As is La Liga as a whole. Looks poor tactically and dated.

Depends on the coach. A coach's control on the players is also overestimated most of the time. People pretend that every coach micromanages and drills in definite patterns of attacking play meticulously. Coaches like Klopp and particularly Pep micromanage and specifically teach attackers to do very specific things but many coaches don't or simply can't micromanage.

Xavi strikes me as a manager who doesn't have a clue about how to coach specific patterns of attacking. He seems like the kinda coach who gives his attackers more of a free hand with a general outline like pass it out wide to Dembele and try to cross it into the penalty box. Xavi's instructions are more general and not as strict as Pep. He'll tell you to take more shots, move the ball quicker and give general instructions of that sort. I can tell from his interviews. He's closer to Ole than Pep as a manager type.

I believe that this is more the real Pedri showing rather than Xavi asking him to be indirect behind closed doors. This is just who and what the player is. He'll never get the numbers. Not his game. Out of his ability.

JamDav1982

Dont agree on Klopp.

I think the beauty of Klopp is how simple and doesnt give an inch for anyone who wont go with him. That and an eye for players that will fit.

Undepinned with a lot of charisma which players will follow in on.

I would bet Xavi tries to micromanage players in a way the likes of Klopp never will.

Never claimed Xavi is asking Pedri to not be direct.. what I am saying is it is easy to say that to a player then in reality ask them to play in a way that doesnt allow for that as often. Xavi doesnt not give his midfielders a lot of freedom. He plays in a very structured way.

Last edited:

vegitot

Every coaches encourage him to attack more, to score more. Maybe their instructions are not good enough but then Pedri himself also isn't good enough when it comes to attacking. Still slow with his final third decision making, very bad at shooting, not courage enough to take on his opponents despite being great at that.

Let's see if he can continue to play more offensive style from now on. Everyone see that talent from him and i think he should show it more on the pitch.

If Pep coaches him, do you think he will be more offensive minded now???

vegitot

About Pedri's shooting, i never see him shoot from different angles than just straight angles, also just a straight shot, never different shots. No finesse shot, no shot from right or left, no cut inside.

Iniesta while not being a great shooter, but he tried to shoot with difference. Pedri just shoots straight. This is something he must train really hard.

Will be the best mid in the world if he can improve his weaknesses.

Home of Barca Fans