8 - Pedri

JamDav1982

Isn't he supposed to be the new Iniesta? Now he's the new Busi that needs to play deep and start actions? :lol:

He is played ok. Just needs to be more consistent, take better decisions on the ball, and improve his physical level. He can't play deep. Especially not against parked buses lol. Deep positions are occupied by CBs and De Jong in such games.

He has to appear between the lines and be decisive when he gets on the ball in such positions.

Iniesta never played as a second striker waiting higher up park and played in a different system than this,

The argument is that Pedri is being asked to play too high up and support Lewa when that wont get best from him.

Would have been exact same with Iniesta whether claim he is the 'the new' or not.

There was times he was up waiting for ball as high up as Lewa and not his game.

He was looking most likely to open Getafe when got ball in better positions.. then gets taken off.

Pedri can easily play deeper. Couple of his best games last season were playing deeper and controlling game when Busi was out and he was closer to FDJ.

He has one of the best range of passing in the team also.

serghei

Iniesta never played as a second striker waiting higher up park and played in a different system than this,

The argument is that Pedri is being asked to play too high up and support Lewa when that wont get best from him.

Would have been exact same with Iniesta whether claim he is the 'the new' or not.

You have no idea as usual.

Iniesta Ultra

Bar should be higher. It´s the first team of Barca, all our attackers need to be able to handle such a ball, including Abde. If not he'll never be good enough to start, as those kinds of creative passes often are what enables us to break down busses like Getafe who defend deep with a 6 man backline.

Of course Pedri needs to go for that pass, if he needs to think about if it's Abde, Fati or Ferran on the receiving end and decide if it's possible, then the moment is over. As Porque says, Pedri thinks enough already and should maybe play more instinctively to fullfill his offensive potential.

Also, Abde himself asked for that ball.

Abde doesn't even belong on the B team gtfoohwtbs. Granted Pedri along with everyone else is demoralized by Xavi's edicts of punt wide to donkey or abdenkey with "quick 1, 2s" lmao.

serghei

You can't play deeper when the opponent is parking the bus. :lol: It's football basics.

You drop deeper to provide pass options when the midfield is challenged and pressured, not when the opponent is defending in trenches like Getafe did.

That's what I get for arguing with football toddlers who think they know better than the greatest midfielder of all time how midfield setup is supposed to work. :facepalm:

JamDav1982

You can't play deeper when the opponent is parking the bus. :lol: It's football basics.

You drop deeper to provide pass options when the midfield is challenged and pressured, not when the opponent is defending in trenches like Getafe did.

That's what I get for arguing with football toddlers who think they know better than the greatest midfielder of all time how midfield setup is supposed to work. :facepalm:

False.

Can and should be deeper as will have more influence than where played in first half.

You have no clue and Pedri played deeper v a team sitting back in those games I mentioned.

Do better.

ajnotkeith

Oh ffs please not this again

JamDav1982

Oh, he brings up Puig now. :lol: I'm off, you two have fun.

Indeed too easy when there are toddlers who thought they knew more than one of Barcas all time greats in Koeman that Puig was a 'telent'.

Puig was the toddler.

Plenty have made comments on way Xavi has used midfield and been proven correct already... look at FDJ as clear example.

jamrock

Deeper & deep are two different things.

If we're saying deep, as in take the ball off the defense, like I've heard here a couple of times, which would make him the deepest of all out Midfielder, no that's just a terrible idea, not 1 coach will play in like that unless they have no choice.

If it's deeper, to be more generally involved in midfield and be the link from the midfield to attack, that's can be done, he does that often.

Xavi wants him to play closer to the box, use his skills to open the defense, I can see the merit in that, last season he came up big for us when we needed it doing just that.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Deeper & deep are two different things.

If we're saying deep, as in take the ball off the defense, like I've heard her a couple of times, which would make him the deepest of all out Midfielder, no that's just a terrible idea, not 1 coach will play in like that unless they have no choice.

If it's deeper, to be more generally involved in midfield and be the link from the midfield to attack, that's can be done, he does that often.

Xavi wants him to play closer to the box, use his skills to open the defense, I can see the merit in that, last season he came up big for us when we needed it doing just that.

Nah he can play as a two with FDJ and has to great effect. From there FDJ would be more of sitter or they work a way to balance it.

Romeu was in a two with FDJ on Sunday and was in final third plently and in areas to try and open game but he couldnt quite manage it.

Sometimes in that role indeed he is taking ball off defenders. Sometimes it isnt.

Used to be argued Barca cant play two deeper etc.. what do you know.. now they do and Pedri/FDJ worked well as always said it would.

Xavi has him playing up in a line with Lewa at point on Sunday.

That is completely different from being freedom to go find pockets in final third.

Regardless he needs to be deeper than was on Sunday in that first half whether that is a deeper role in this set up or another tactical approach where he has more freedom to move.

Horatio

You're welcome
Quite honestly at first I was impressed with how good Puig looked in MLS. I thought it was a case of a pretty solid player in an inferior league.

After having watched more of Inter Miami I came to realize the league is much lower than I initially thought.

Home of Barca Fans