8 - Pedri

Porque

Xavi: ❝Pedri takes care of himself. He has worked over the summer to gain muscle mass, but his injury can be due to the heat, fatigue... We try our best to avoid muscle injuries❞

Sad.

I don't think Xavi is going to go into the diagnosis in the presser.

But a few points.

Who decided on this summer work?
-Pedri himself?
-A club set structured plan?
-Pedri with a PT?
-a PT authorized and agreed with the club?

We're talking about multimillion euro athletes here.

Any post season / pre pre season fitness plan and goals of a player should be authorized by the club.

Does extra muscle mass benefit the style of play and the clubs fitness targets?

Do the training exercises coincide with the pre-season schedule and plans, or could it cause extra stress for certain muscle groups and tendons.

Just a small point, but you really get the feeling that the British football clubs are light-years away.

ajnotkeith

But a few points.

-Pedri himself?
-Pedri with a PT?

Any post season / pre pre season fitness plan and goals of a player should be authorized by the club.

Do the training exercises coincide with the pre-season schedule and plans, or could it cause extra stress for certain muscle groups and tendons.

Just a small point, but you really get the feeling that the British football clubs are light-years away.
Agree. It looks like its done totally willy nilly and they have little idea how S&C even works.
Any training or strength programme MUST be coordinated with the sporting directors of the club and approved by people who are qualified in that field. Physique and football are so related, anything you change can have a very significant impact on how you play.

You even see it in his comment. He refers to 'gaining muscle mass' as the way to avoid injuries, when if anything before Pedris so called physical journey he was getting injured far less and was much more available. After all this nonsense started he has picked up injuries every couple months.

I also don't buy that he is doing it the right way anyway. He's hardly gained any muscle since the start despite the angled, pumped photoshopped pictures people share around, his frame is not that different.

Reactions: BJJ

vegitot

But a few points.

-Pedri himself?
-Pedri with a PT?

It was reported when Pedri first arrived that both club and Pedri worked together to improve his physicality.

I think the plan is making Pedri stronger physically, improve his balance to play at highest level. Avoiding injuries also.

But we have to consider that his body might change forever after 20/21 season.

vegitot

Agree. It looks like its done totally willy nilly and they have little idea how S&C even works.
Any training or strength programme MUST be coordinated with the sporting directors of the club and approved by people who are qualified in that field. Physique and football are so related, anything you change can have a very significant impact on how you play.

You even see it in his comment. He refers to 'gaining muscle mass' as the way to avoid injuries, when if anything before Pedris so called physical journey he was getting injured far less and was much more available. After all this nonsense started he has picked up injuries every couple months.

I also don't buy that he is doing it the right way anyway. He's hardly gained any muscle since the start despite the angled, pumped photoshopped pictures people share around, his frame is not that different.
He looks thicker imo. Also his weight is increased. In his first season, it was 60kg. This season it is 67kg by report.

Obviously after this injury, club must see what went wrong with Pedri's body and find the solution.

fergus90

Some of that weight gain is just the natural process of getting older though surely. Was fresh 17 when he arrived and his body was still naturally growing.

In general, he still has quite a skinny frame in my opinion.

ajnotkeith

He looks thicker imo. Also his weight is increased. In his first season, it was 60kg. This season it is 67kg by report.

Obviously after this injury, club must see what went wrong with Pedri's body and find the solution.
Some of that weight gain is just the natural process of getting older though surely. Was fresh 17 when he arrived and his body was still naturally growing.

I would say probably 3kg max of his gain is muscle and he's apparently been working on his body for 2+ seasons.

Just feel like it's not being done properly. A young guy with millions and the best sports scientists available at the club should be experiencing more growth if he is really trying for it you would think.

vegitot

Yeah. His frame is still skinny, though it is thicker if you compare to Pedri 2 or 3 years ago.

Messi's physique should be his target.

Last edited:

vegitot

I would say probably 3kg max of his gain is muscle and he's apparently been working on his body for 2+ seasons.

Just feel like it's not being done properly. A young guy with millions and the best sports scientists available at the club should be experiencing more growth if he is really trying for it you would think.
Club have history helping players improve their physical. Neymar, for example, if you looked at him in his first season (13/14), then in his following seasons (14/15-16/17), he was thicker, his balance was better too.

Though it may depend on player's genetics, ages. I expect Pedri reach his physical prime when he is around 24 years old. But with his injury record, thing may progress slower.

BJJ

I think that his trainer is one of those idiots who thinks that working on the "showy" muscles is "functional".
He probably doesn't do any hamstring work or single leg work either
Pumping up your bis has zero to do with performance on the pitch.

behindbrowneyes

I fear his proneness to injuries is a result of overplaying his young youth body in his first season. He had something like 60 games or so that season IIRC?

Co0ter

I fear his proneness to injuries is a result of overplaying his young youth body in his first season. He had something like 60 games or so that season IIRC?
And overplayed in second season. I said this a long time ago. Young players shouldn't be overplayed into the ground while still not fully developed physically. The kid ran nonstop for 90 minutes almost every game for 1.5 year...

Home of Barca Fans