9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

raskolnikov

Then it will never happen again, all quality players are already at big clubs and if a smaller club wins a tough league it will be brushed off as a teamperformance and the players of Napoli will always be inferior.
Even if a Messi decides to go to for example Arsenal and they instantly become champions it would also be nothing cause the other players are superior to Napoli's.
Guess thats a part of Diego's sealed legacy that cant be matched again.

Ursegor

World Champion
Well, I think winning the league with Napoli added to Maradona's greatness, but it wasn't the single defining element of his greatness. Rather a result of it. When a player emulates a league title win with a midtable team obviously it doesn't automatically mean he is up there with Maradona. Maradona was a once in a lifetime player and acknowledged as such way before Napoli. The most beautiful Brazil team of all time kicked the shit out of a young Maradona in 1982.

Villa scored 5 out of Spain's total 8 goals in 2010 but it will not go down as "Villa carrying Spain". Xavi and Iniesta will go down as the engineers behind Spain's success. If Messi scores 5 out of Argentina's total 8 goals and wins the World Cup it will definitely go down as "Messi carrying Argentina". Maybe it sounds stupid but overall context is important.

Ursegor

World Champion
I'd also like to add that Atletico Madrid would be easily competing for the Premier League title this season as much as Liverpool if not even better. Look at them. 31 games and they are infront of 2 stacked super powers like Barcelona and Real Madrid. They'd be comfortably above the Arsenals and Chelseas of this world as well in the EPL. Does that make Diego Costa's contribution another Maradona achievement? Clearly not. Above all, Liverpool, like Atleti, are well coached right now. I bet no one would have thought that Atletico could do as well, nevermind improve this much, after selling Falcao. Neither is a one-man team.

B

beautifulgame

I'd also like to add that Atletico Madrid would be easily competing for the Premier League title this season as much as Liverpool if not even better. Look at them. 31 games and they are infront of 2 stacked super powers like Barcelona and Real Madrid. They'd be comfortably above the Arsenals and Chelseas of this world as well in the EPL. Does that make Diego Costa's contribution another Maradona achievement? Clearly not. Above all, Liverpool, like Atleti, are well coached right now. I bet no one would have thought that Atletico could do as well, nevermind improve this much, after selling Falcao. Neither is a one-man team.

Of course and ATletico is well better than Liverpool and City.

Chelsea on a good day maybe be a tougher one

CoutinhoLFC

Of course and ATletico is well better than Liverpool and City.

Chelsea on a good day maybe be a tougher one

images

raskolnikov

Well, I think winning the league with Napoli added to Maradona's greatness, but it wasn't the single defining element of his greatness. Rather a result of it. When a player emulates a league title win with a midtable team obviously it doesn't automatically mean he is up there with Maradona. Maradona was a once in a lifetime player and acknowledged as such way before Napoli. The most beautiful Brazil team of all time kicked the shit out of a young Maradona in 1982.

Villa scored 5 out of Spain's total 8 goals in 2010 but it will not go down as "Villa carrying Spain". Xavi and Iniesta will go down as the engineers behind Spain's success. If Messi scores 5 out of Argentina's total 8 goals and wins the World Cup it will definitely go down as "Messi carrying Argentina". Maybe it sounds stupid but overall context is important.

No of course not the single elemennt, wc 86 is higs legacy with Napoli as his clublegacy. I like Maradona as a player but I often feel he wasnt ranked much higher than Zico or Platini before 86 or even after not till nostalgia lifted his legacy even higher so that its now impossible for players to get to, atleast the Napoli part.
Suarez isnt like Villa though, he isnt just a goalscorer, he adds as much to Liverpool's game in his own way as Messi does for us in the league imo.
Im not saying it would equal Maradona's overall legacy if a player does that but it matches his club legacy imo.

Kerrybai

No of course not the single elemennt, wc 86 is higs legacy with Napoli as his clublegacy. I like Maradona as a player but I often feel he wasnt ranked much higher than Zico or Platini before 86 or even after not till nostalgia lifted his legacy even higher so that its now impossible for players to get to, atleast the Napoli part.
Suarez isnt like Villa though, he isnt just a goalscorer, he adds as much to Liverpool's game in his own way as Messi does for us in the league imo.
Im not saying it would equal Maradona's overall legacy if a player does that but it matches his club legacy imo.

Except it doesn't because Liverpool were winning games without Suarez. Sturridge has been immense, the likes of Coutihno, Sterling, Gerard, Henderson have all played a huge part in their sensational attack. Mind you the Maradona success wasn't all him either, they had a solid defence Careca firing in plenty of goals. Bruno Giordano was no slouch either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans