9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I forgot to mention that somehow Gareth Bale also has 10 goals and 5 assists despite being absolute trash for the entire season. And in his first season he somehow had 27 (goals + assists) in 24 starts, despite being poor for the majority of the games. Let's hope Suarez has the same impact in the clutch games like Bale did.

Yeah, Messi definitely prefers to pass it to Neymar, Suarez loses the abll during a quick attack in tight spaces, but im sure when he starts scoring they will have more faith in passing it to him.

Not just Messi, I think only Iniesta really passes to Suarez and it seems like they were buddies before Suarez even joined the club.

raskolnikov

I forgot to mention that somehow Gareth Bale also has 10 goals and 5 assists despite being absolute trash for the entire season. And in his first season he somehow had 27 (goals + assists) in 24 starts, despite being poor for the majority of the games. Let's hope Suarez has the same impact in the clutch games like Bale did.

Not just Messi, I think only Iniesta really passes to Suarez and it seems like they were buddies before Suarez even joined the club.
Just goes to show how stats only tell a partial story. You think they dislike Suarez?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I have no beef with his lack of awareness or misplaced passes. Those should improve over time and he makes up a lot with his work rate.
I just can't understand how he manages to miss those sitters.
I guess because we won it's easier to digest it.

JamDav1982

Lowest pass accuracy on the team after Bravo, despite making only 28 passes - lowest on the team - no through passes attempted, no crosses attempted, no long balls attempted.

Only 41 touches, lowest on the team after Bravo, yet lost the ball 5 times - highest on the team - despite attempting zero dribbles.

And this was one of his better games. Both Messi and Alves ignoring Suarez on break-aways should tell you about the team's confidence in him today.

For all that he played a part in two of the three goal scored.

He is there to take the ball in tighter areas and with back to goal you would expect him to lose it more than anyone else. Followed by Messi and Neymar.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Just goes to show how stats only tell a partial story. You think they dislike Suarez?

No, of course not, but they probably can see that he's not that confident in his play. He's rushing it when he doesn't need to, and you can also tell from his body language.

I have no beef with his lack of awareness or misplaced passes. Those should improve over time and he makes up a lot with his work rate.
I just can't understand how he manages to miss those sitters.
I guess because we won it's easier to digest it.

Just imagine what this forum would've been like if Messi and Neymar were not making up for it with their amazing goal-scoring runs. I've literally never seen Neymar play better and Messi too is in the form of his life, despite not being at CF. I said it on the Messi thread, but without Leo, Barca would've been in 4th or 5th spot this season.

I hope his passing, touch and awareness improves, but I'd also hoped for the same with Sanchez. But it's clearly not at the level that we expect from Luis Suarez, and I cannot fathom how people are not perplexed by that.

For all that he played a part in two of the three goal scored.

He is there to take the ball in tighter areas and with back to goal you would expect him to lose it more than anyone else. Followed by Messi and Neymar.

That's one thing where he clearly brings something that the team has been lacking for a while now, and I think he's been fulfilling that role really well. But no - that's not where his dispossessions and misplaced passes are occurring - they're usually when he's under no pressure.

As for being involved in the goals, for the second goal, the ball deflected off the goalie to go to Messi, and for the third goal, it was a 5m pass outside the box while falling down. Is that involvement more to do with him being Luis Suarez, or just being the furthest player forward?

Kohe321

Using stats like amount of touches, pass accuracy, through balls, long balls and crosses against him is pretty unfair considering the role he plays in the team and his position.

Think about it, he could have scored two goals tonight, and if he did this thread would look very different now. We would all be praising him, and if those stats were being pulled up it would be to show how effective he was. :lol:

Last edited:

JamDav1982

For the second goal he took up a decent position and played ball back to Messi. Slight nick from keeper made next to no difference, if anything made it harder.

Again for second he turned and played it to Messi at the right time.

Nothing spectacular but he did his job and took up right positions and made right decisions.

Suarez has always been a player that can give ball away cheaply or a moment of genius. There is not much in season stats for ball given away between Messi, Neymar and Suarez and Suarez receives it in the tightest areas.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Using stats like amount of touches, pass accuracy, through balls, long balls and crosses against him is pretty unfair considering the role he plays in the team and his position.

Think about it, he could have scored two goals tonight, and if he did this thread would look very different now. We would all be praising him, and if those stats were being pulled up it would be to show how effective he was. :lol:

Yeah, but he is not scoring. And easy chances, what makes it more worrying. As Bojan said, it's easiest to understand because we won. But he is missing too many sitters, and constantly. I'm worried.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Suarez support game is being very effective right now, even if not necessarily efficient. It's his scoring game that's struggling mightily. It's getting to him too, you can easily tell. He is still contributing to the team, but he is a scorer and scorers want to score. He's going to need some goals soon to get the monkey off his back otherwise his frustration might start to seep into his support game and begin affecting that as well.

JamDav1982

Yeah, but he is not scoring. And easy chances, what makes it more worrying. As Bojan said, it's easiest to understand because we won. But he is missing too many sitters, and constantly. I'm worried.

Neither of his two chances today were 'sitters' to be fair.

The one he put just wide he reacted quickly and showed decent technique to go close and the one before that he dragged wide was a half chance.

Cant deny his finishing has been off for last few games but in this system he will be third in line for chances.

Kohe321

Yeah I completely agree, I'm not denying he's in bad form especially with regards to finishing, but I just wanted to point out how these stats are not really fair to use against him. Even when in form, they will not be amazing.

Kerrybai

I love some elements he is bringing to Barca but so far he has been a flop, and a pretty big one at that. He believe he will come good but it needs to happen now, soon those misses are going to cost us trophies.

JamDav1982

I love some elements he is bringing to Barca but so far he has been a flop, and a pretty big one at that. He believe he will come good but it needs to happen now, soon those misses are going to cost us trophies.

Suarez hasnt been a flop at all. He has improved the team even without his finishing which will come.

Has played a part in goals in almost all the big games and even tonight helped the team to win.

His finishing should improve but been nowhere near a flop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans