9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

raskolnikov

I don't know why this should be a problem. Suarez/Neymar right footed = freekicks from the left. Messi left footed = freekicks from the right. Problem solved. At least Messi lets others have a go from time to time like Neymar against Sevilla and doesn't completely monopolize all freekicks although I don't understand why Suarez never lines up for one. He is really really good at it.
Hierarchy and pride.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
So, his goal against Eibar shouldn't count? Maybe Messi's against Bilbao shouldn't count either. Are you mad your hero is not as good as you thought?

lol

I'm not mad, and stats over this season tell me nothing, we're talking about overall freekick success rate, find that info for cr/messi/suarez and we can keep discussing the point we were discussing earlier, which was should suarez take freekick.

Oh, and my hero is the best that has ever lived, and he'll go down in history as such, thank you for caring :)

reDIOS10

lol

I'm not mad, and stats over this season tell me nothing, we're talking about overall freekick success rate, find that info for cr/messi/suarez and we can keep discussing the point we were discussing earlier, which was should suarez take freekick.

Oh, and my hero is the best that has ever lived, and he'll go down in history as such, thank you for caring :)

:yes: :messi:

footyfan

Calma, calma
lol

I don't care what you were discussing, I was specifically responding to Villarubi's comment.

Even if you want to compare the last two seasons, Messi and Ronaldo are tied at 4 goals apiece.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9804389/cristiano-ronaldo-free-kick-goals-are-rare-show-whoscoredcom-stats

Persistence has paid off for Ronaldo, though - he remains the joint-highest scorer from dead balls over the past two seasons in La Liga, with four goals.

Lionel Messi is the only player who can match Ronaldo for goals scored from free-kicks in La Liga over that time frame.

In 2012/13, they were virtually tied.

2012/13 free-kicks

Messi’s conversion rate was marginally higher at 8.8% compared with Ronaldo's 8.2%.

The link below shows free-kick averages in the Premier League. Messi and Ronaldo are both only as good as the average Premier League free-kick taker. Suarez had much better stats last season.

Free-kick ratios from 2009/10-2013/14 in Premier League

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Again, stats on one season tell me nothing, some in there have 1 fk, 1goal = 100% .. most of them took < 10 over the season, to assure that someone is very good at taking them there needs to be a big enough sample so the data is statistically relevant.

Btw I'm not seing Suarez is bad, just that Messi is good enough for him to keep taking them.

Galaxyman

I'm not one to add fuel to the "Ronaldo vs. Suarez" fan debates...but one thing that does affect my perception of them is the way both players celebrate their goals. IMO it speaks volumes about them. Today, Ronaldo again did his trademark "it's all me" celebration. Notably, Chicharito walked away without congratulating him; with a completely unfazed look on his face.

Suarez, on the other hand, always goes out of his way to thank and congratulate whoever assisted him. I've always loved when he does that. And he's done it for every team he's ever played for (Ajax, Uruguay, Liverpool, etc)...no matter who the teammate is.

mark1nhu

I'm not one to add fuel to the "Ronaldo vs. Suarez" fan debates...but one thing that does affect my perception of them is the way both players celebrate their goals. IMO it speaks volumes about them. Today, Ronaldo again did his trademark "it's all me" celebration. Notably, Chicharito walked away without congratulating him; with a completely unfazed look on his face.

Suarez, on the other hand, always goes out of his way to thank and congratulate whoever assisted him. I've always loved when he does that. And he's done it for every team he's ever played for (Ajax, Uruguay, Liverpool, etc)...no matter who the teammate is.

You, Sir, are allowed to always add fuel on Cristina debate.

Always!

raskolnikov

Its more accurate about Messi than Suarez though, Suarez often been selfish or celebrated alone after a good pass of a team mate, he mixes it up usually.
Its all good though.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Again, stats on one season tell me nothing, some in there have 1 fk, 1goal = 100% .. most of them took < 10 over the season, to assure that someone is very good at taking them there needs to be a big enough sample so the data is statistically relevant.

Btw I'm not seing Suarez is bad, just that Messi is good enough for him to keep taking them.

I literally gave you stats spanning 3 seasons and you're still talking about sample size - Messi and Ronaldo are barely above average PL players in free-kick taking. Suarez is an above-average PL free kick taker. Why are you talking about the irrelevant stats in the second table? Look at the first table in that link. Even from the second table, you can tell Suarez has 3 goals from 13 attempts in 2013/14.

In Messi's case, if you consider free kicks taken from the left side, the stats are probably even worse. On the other hand, almost all of Suarez's free-kicks (8 free-kick goals between 2012/13 and 2013/14) come from centre/left positions. Messi had 5 between 2012/13 and 2013/14, all pretty much from the right side. I don't have stats on Suarez's total number of attempts over the last few seasons but it is very likely to be lower than Messi's.

There is nothing to discuss. Messi should not be taking free-kicks on the left side. Period. And Messi is not a lot better, if at all better, than Ronaldo at free-kicks either, just to remind you again.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
So........

Those people on the Alexis hype train who were lambasting the club for getting the failure Suarez...I don't see them here anymore :thinking:

Goobie where are thou......

Some people were too harsh on him in the beginning. Had to sit out for 4 months and settle in a new team in a new league. Not easy. Especially at Barcelona.

Hopefully he'll now get even more deadly infront of the goal and cut out the amount of sitters he's missing too. I reckon that will happen next season and then.....WOW. Neymar-Suarez-Messi will be even more deadly.

Stric

So........

Those people on the Alexis hype train who were lambasting the club for getting the failure Suarez...I don't see them here anymore :thinking:

Goobie where are thou......

Some people were too harsh on him in the beginning. Had to sit out for 4 months and settle in a new team in a new league. Not easy. Especially at Barcelona.

Hopefully he'll now get even more deadly infront of the goal and cut out the amount of sitters he's missing too. I reckon that will happen next season and then.....WOW. Neymar-Suarez-Messi will be even more deadly.

I admit I was against buying him, primarily because of his behavior. The whole world was talking about what a maniac Suarez is, and we decided to buy him at that exact moment. Not exactly good PR. But he's behaved well since he got here, and I'd be a fool not to recognize his performances. I'm glad we have him.

But I was also all for selling Alexis. :lol:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I admit I was against buying him, primarily because of his behavior. The whole world was talking about what a maniac Suarez is, and we decided to buy him at that exact moment. Not exactly good PR. But he's behaved well since he got here, and I'd be a fool not to recognize his performances. I'm glad we have him.

But I was also all for selling Alexis. :lol:

I was against buying him too initially because of his behaviour, but thought that if he managed to keep his biting in check and played like he did at Liverpool then we'd be in for a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans