9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatem Ben Arfa

While the report clears the Uruguayan of racism, the picture it paints of club personnel altering statements to fall in line with Suarez's explanation of why he used the word "negro" – in contravention of FA rule E3(1) – is an embarrassing one which will sit uncomfortably with the club's owners, Fenway Sports Group. On the one occasion when Suarez addressed Evra's claims in public, he declared that "depending on who ends up in the wrong, one of us will have to apologise". His club's reputation is being done no service by the absence of one.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/suarez-liverpool-told-to-apologise-6283926.html

Manuel Traquete

In regards to Liverpool's behaviour in this, i must admit some of it has been disconcerting.

Whilst i admire them putting themselves in line they could have handled this in a less aggressive manner.

Once the accusation came to light, an internal investigation should have been carried out. From the discrepancies shown in the stories of certain Liverpool staff, i think it's safe to say there wasn't one carried out.

Furthermore, Suarez should have been made to make a public statement where he admits to using the word "negro" but explained it wasn't meant in a racist manner and that in his culture it's acceptable. He should have concluded by saying he won't ever use that word again in England.

In regards to the club statement and the shirts, i honestly don't see a problem with that. Now that the report is out, the club statement looks a lot more valid especially in regards to the FA having found Suarez guilty even before it went to the kangaroo court.

The shirts were a statement made by his fellow friends and teammates, people who know Suarez a lot better than anyone. Someone who has been crucified the way has, made into a scapegoat by the FA in their pissing contest with FIFA deserves public support especially when he's been publicly drawn, quartered and hanged.

People want Liverpool to jump in the bandwagon and join in the public hanging, it going to happen. Liverpool aren't a club that runs away from a fight.

I agree with this. Liverpool were very naive in believing the FA would actually conduct a serious and honest investigation, they should have been a lot more careful.

The question is: what next?

If I were Liverpool, I'd definitely not drop the case and not run away from a fight, as you said. Not only because the report/ban is a joke, but because it clearly states that Suarez will be suspended permanently if it happens again.

What this means is that Suarez will be in a situation where if any player claims Suarez racially abused him he'll be banned permanently, even if there's no evidence. It would be very dangerous to just drop the case; if Suarez was convicted with absolutely zero conclusive evidence, who's to say it won't happen again?

Hatem Ben Arfa

Suarez row has made clear to all where line of decency is drawn l

Now that the Suarez decision has been explained with a force and a logic that should convince anyone inhabiting a set of values that owe more to decent grown-up behaviour than half-baked tribal loyalty, it can only be hoped that Liverpool Football Club and their iconic manager, Kenny Dalglish, have the wit to stop embarrassing themselves.

This will require a few qualities that have not exactly been flying out of the Anfield woodwork in recent weeks.

An intelligent understanding of the world we live in, including the prejudice that stills stalks the streets of our cities with sometimes appalling consequences, would be one starting point.

Another is the acceptance that from time to time you need to reflect upon your actions through something more than the prism of self-interest.

In this case it would have required Liverpool FC to understand that if Luis Suarez is not a racist – a belief accepted by his accuser, Patrice Evra – the crime he was charged with is the first ugly resort of those who are.

The independent panel, led by a QC and containing an ex-player and manager with a reputation for a hard-nosed understanding of the trade he pursued with notably rugged distinction, was never likely to expose itself to the charge of a serious miscarriage of justice.

Certainly, the 115-page account of the hearing, and the basis of their decision, provides more than enough reassurance that this was indeed the case. It also answered, simply but witheringly, the question Dalglish asked – with offensive disingenuousness – around about the time he was approving the wearing of Suarez T-shirts before the match that followed the player's eight-match sentence for racially abusing Evra.

"It would be helpful to everyone," said Dalglish, "if someone gave us guidelines about what you can and cannot say."

The verdict and report of an independent regulatory panel has at least provided half the answer to Daglish's threshing in an apparently unformed moral landscape.

You cannot make seven references to the colour of an opponent's skin in a situation which the panel – and any casual TV viewer – inevitably concluded was "acrimonious" and escape the sure-fire belief that you are indulging in racial abuse and provocation.

You cannot do what Suarez did – as proved by video evidence and confirmed by linguistic expertise, including a knowledge of the nuances of references to race in the player's native Uruguay – and get away with some implausible argument that you were innocent of the charges against you. Not when you have been found, irrefutably, to have said, without the interruption of any other word, "black, black, black..."

We do not yet know whether Liverpool will go ahead with an appeal after their initially emphatic reaction to the verdict – and risk further punishment of the player, surely a certainty given the ruling that two further offences of this nature could lead to Suarez's permanent banning from English football.

What we should be able to believe is that all of English football, or at least those parts of it which shared Dalglish's confusion about the difference between right and wrong, are now utterly clear about what is unacceptable.

Not the least disturbing aspect of the Suarez affair – and the one that now hangs over the future of Chelsea and England captain John Terry – has been the volume and the nature of much of the reaction. Much of it, you had to conclude, was fuelled by thinking implicit in Dalglish's question. Could someone explain to adult professionals quite how they conform to the rules of the society in which they find themselves? How pathetic that would sound on the lips of the parent of an errant child, one oblivious to the feelings of anyone but itself and armed with the belief that nothing mattered in life but an individual's own instincts on how to behave.

Hopefully, the water that became so muddied will clear somewhat with the detailed report of the proceedings. Charges that Liverpool where somehow victims of a conspiracy worked by the sinister tentacles of Manchester United will maybe finish up where they started – in the rubbish bin of hysterical victimhood.

That one of the most prestigious clubs in English football, which has contributed so much to the idea that a football team might just be the perfect expression of a community's collective pride, should plunge into such a ludicrous reaction was all the more depressing.

But then, who knows, a line might well have been drawn. If Suarez has been given severe punishment, who among those who draw such warmth from the deeds of great Liverpool players like Dalglish could countenance the alternative? We should be quite clear about what this would have entailed. Most of all, it would have been the acceptance that each player in the world's most cosmopolitan football league could bring his own moral compass each time he went out on the field.

It is to the great credit of the Football Association, which recently has not been consistently applauded for the strength of its resolve to put morality before self-interest, that it has insisted that this just cannot be so.

Not if English football – which by and large is streets ahead of so many rivals, including those of large swathes of Europe – is to clear up the last remnants of the kind of racial prejudice once commonly experienced by black footballers like Mark Walters and John Barnes.

Luis Suarez has made other marks on English football. He is a player of thrilling skill and invention. He is widely cherished by Liverpool fans, and any others who put a high value on outstanding ability, and this is surely the foundation of his success as long as he stays here. It is something that he and his supporters must place alongside another reality that has been, we can be much more confident now, established beyond reasonable contradiction.

It is that through his actions no one need any longer be confused about the whereabouts of one line which in all decency cannot be crossed.

Ambrosia

I agree with this. Liverpool were very naive in believing the FA would actually conduct a serious and honest investigation, they should have been a lot more careful.

The question is: what next?

If I were Liverpool, I'd definitely not drop the case and not run away from a fight, as you said. Not only because the report/ban is a joke, but because it clearly states that Suarez will be suspended permanently if it happens again.

What this means is that Suarez will be in a situation where if any player claims Suarez racially abused him he'll be banned permanently, even if there's no evidence. It would be very dangerous to just drop the case; if Suarez was convicted with absolutely zero conclusive evidence, who's to say it won't happen again?
Exactly. It's a very dangerous precedent.

It's sickening how people's need to see blood, the media, the FA have happily stitched up someone on the basis of some murky evidence. A man's life ruined for what? it really sickens me.

Part of me was hoping that when the evidence did come out it will show some info and evidence kept from the public where he's shown himself to be a nasty racist but nada. Nothing. Just more murky nonsense. At the least if you're going to be convicted of something it should be for something you have 100% done.

Ah fuck, James Lawton the sacntimonious arse is now being quoted. How nice of him to tell Liverpool how to behave. Interesting how everyone's telling Liverpool to put this behind them, like we should forget about an obvious miscarriage of justice. It would be the easiest thing to do, but not the right thing. Liverpool must do the right thing.

Hatem Ben Arfa

While the report clears the Uruguayan of racism, the picture it paints of club personnel altering statements to fall in line with Suarez's explanation of why he used the word "negro" – in contravention of FA rule E3(1) – is an embarrassing one which will sit uncomfortably with the club's owners, Fenway Sports Group. On the one occasion when Suarez addressed Evra's claims in public, he declared that "depending on who ends up in the wrong, one of us will have to apologise". His club's reputation is being done no service by the absence of one.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/suarez-liverpool-told-to-apologise-6283926.html

Manuel Traquete

Exactly. It's a very dangerous precedent.

It's sickening how people's need to see blood, the media, the FA have happily stitched up someone on the basis of some murky evidence. A man's life ruined for what? it really sickens me.

Part of me was hoping that when the evidence did come out it will show some info and evidence kept from the public where he's shown himself to be a nasty racist but nada. Nothing. Just more murky nonsense. At the least if you're going to be convicted of something it should be for something you have 100% done.

Ah fuck, James Lawton the sacntimonious arse is now being quoted. How nice of him to tell Liverpool how to behave. Interesting how everyone's telling Liverpool to put this behind them, like we should forget about an obvious miscarriage of justice. It would be the easiest thing to do, but not the right thing. Liverpool must do the right thing.

Indeed. It's not only sickening, but a bit scary to see how much power the FA have to make decisions like this and ruin a player's life/career with no evidence. Liverpool should definitely take this as far as possible.

And yeah, who ever expected the media to produce a decent analysis? The football media these days is little more than a mouthpiece for the football governing bodies, that article is 100% clichéd propaganda and 0 actually trying to raise serious questions and finding out the truth.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
So wht is it that happened? The report is out but there isn't any proof that Suarez was racially abusing Evra? And the ban stands?

Ambrosia

Really informative post from this guy a Professor in Spanish at Brown University, one that backs up my point about the language issues that i've been pointing out.

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showpost.php?p=6859329&postcount=1148

I will quote first the FA document on the key point:

“90. Mr Evra's evidence was that, in response to his question "Why did you kick me?", Mr
Suarez replied "Porque tu eres negro". Mr Evra said that at the time Mr Suarez made that
comment, he (Mr Evra) understood it to mean "Because you are a ******". He now says
that he believes the words used by Mr Suarez mean "Because you are black".”

End quote.

I read the whole FA report. I am a Uruguayan born in Montevideo, currently a university Literature and Language professor in the US. It is clear to me that the Spanish language reported by Evra is inconsistent with Luis Suárez’s way of speaking Spanish. I am surprised nobody (and especially, the Liverpool lawyers) raised this point. The key is that Evra makes Suárez to appear using forms of Spanish Suárez just wouldn't use. Suárez cannot speak as Evra reported him speaking. And that strongly suggests that Evra made the whole thing up.

This is, I believe, key for the case and, if acknowledged, it would destroy Evra’s credibility. The fact that the FA has not noted that Suárez would never say “porque tu eres negro” (that is just not a way of speaking in the Rio de la Plata area), much less “porque tu es negro” or “tues negro” (as Comolly apparently stated), which are gramatically incorrect or just do not exist in Spanish. You don’t use the verb “ser” (to be) in the Rio de la Plata area that way. Luis Suarez would have said “porque SOS negro”. There is no possible variation or alternative to this whatsoever in our use of Spanish. And we of course don’t say “por que tu es negro” (as supposedly Commoly reported) because this is no Spanish syntax. In that sentence “es” is being wrongly conjugated in the third person of singular while it should have been conjugated in the second, “sos” (and never, I repeat, “eres”). Hence, I don't know what Comolly heard from Suarez after the match, but I am positive he got it wrong--unless we believe that Suarez cannot even speak Spanish...

What follows to these is that Evra’s report on what Suarez said is unreliable, just because Evra depicts Suárez speaking in a form of Spanish Suárez just does not use.- Suárez cannot have said “porque tu eres negro”. He would have said--if at all he said anything-- “porque sos negro”. And the problem is that this is not what Evra declared. Once again: Evra reports Suárez to have told him “porque tu eres negro” which just sound unplausible. People from Montevideo or Buenos Aires just do NOT USE that verb “ser” (to be) that way. In such a case we would say “porque sos negro”. How come Evra reports Suárez speaking as he does not speak, and the FA accepts his word? Looks like Evra is making this up.

That said, let’s pay some attention to the incredibly sloppy way the FA has managed the Spanish language in their report.

“138. Mr Comolli said in his witness statement that Mr Suarez told him nothing happened. He
said that there was one incident where he said sorry to Mr Evra and Mr Evra told him
"Don't touch me, South American" to which Mr Comolli thought Mr Suarez said he had
replied "Por que, tu eres negro?". (...) Mr Comolli confirmed under cross-examination
that he believed that what he was told by Mr Suarez in this meeting was that the words he
had used to Mr Evra translated as "Why, because you are black"." Endquote.

“Por que, tu eres negro?”…. ??!! This makes no sense. It is no Spanish. “Por qué” means “why” (and not “because” in this case). It is incorrectly spelled by the FA in their official report (they don’t seem to give a damn about Spanish, since they treat Spanish in such a careless way all along the report). It cannot be translated in a way that makes sense. Literally, if I had to translate it, it would be something like this: “why, you are black?” I have no idea what that could mean.

And Mr Comolli’s version is VERY different from Suarez’s own statement. Let’s see what Suarez himself reported:

"141. Mr Suarez's version of this conversation was as follows. He said that Mr Comolli
explained to him that Sir Alex Ferguson and Mr Evra had complained to the referee that
Mr Suarez had racially insulted Mr Evra five times during the game. Mr Comolli asked Mr
Suarez to tell him what happened. Mr Suarez told him that Mr Evra had said to him
"Don't touch me, South American". Mr Suarez had said "Por que negro?". Mr Suarez told
Mr Comolli that this was the only thing he had said."

What Suarez stated makes perfect sense in the Spanish we speak in the Rio de la Plata area –even though, again, it is ill transcripted by the FA. They should have written: “¿Por qué, negro?”. Then, I have no idea why, the FA believes in the incorrect Spanish of a non native speaker (Comolli), instead of crediting Suarez about his own words…

The linguistic abilities of the FA are completely under question here, and they seem to have been key in their grounding of the case. Let’s see how lousy their understanding and use of Spanish language is, by looking in detail at just another part of the reasons alleged by the FA:

"284 (...) Mr Comolli said to the referee that Mr Evra first said "you
are South American" to Mr Suarez who responded with "Tues Negro" which translates as
"you are black"." Endquote.

It is ridiculous that the FA, after careful consideration of everything, would even consider relevant whatever Mr Comolli might have understood from Suárez, when it is clear Mr Comolli can barely understands what he himself is trying to say in Spanish. I say this because “tues” is no Spanish word. And “tues negro” cannot be translated at all—let alone into what the FA says it means. It’s simply not a Spanish expression, so it cannot be “translated”. Comolli recollection from his chat with Suárez just after the match is unreliable. A pity since it arrived to the FA jury through a Liverpool official, but the language is so ridiculously wrong it makes me laugh.

In sum: Suárez could not have even said “tu eres” negro, which would be gramatically correct in Madrid, because in the Rio de la Plata area we would never say “tu eres negro”, but “vos SOS negro”. And that is a fact, not a matter of the opinion of anyone, not even the language experts consulted by the FA, of course. I am a native speaker of Montevideo, a PhD in Spanish by Stanford, and currently a professor of Spanish at Brown University, and if I was called to court on this, I would categorically deny that Suarez, who lived his adult life in Montevideo—despite being born in Salto—could have said other than “vos sos negro”. There is no way in the world he could have said to Evra, spontaneously and as a reaction to Evra’s words and attitudes, “porque tu eres negro”—and much less “tues negro”, that doesn’t exist. Simply “tues” is no Spanish.
Despite of that, the FA makes it stand and transcribes it in their report, and substantiate their conviction on these words.

Reading Evra’s statement, I understand it could happen that Evra misunderstood Suárez at some point. When Suárez said “¿por qué, negro?”, Evra might have assumed that as a racial insult, while Suárez—even in the heat of a discussion—could perfectly have said that as a way of normally expressing himself (not exactly to calm Evra down, but just because he normally would talk like that without thinking about it). This point is where the cultural clash seems more important, and it is working against Suárez because nobody in the jury (let alone the Daily Mail kind of media) seems to even start understanding the common way we use the term “negro” in the Rio de la Plata area. They heard their experts, and their experts explained the different options of our use of the word depending on different contexts and intentions. Then, the jury just decided that the whole thing was an equally aggressive clash by both sides, and because of that, they concluded Suárez could have not use the "negro" word to Evra in a descriptive way. Why? Their interpretation is not clear to me and doesn’t seem to be the only one possible. “¿Por qué, negro?” (after Evra said “Don’t touch me you South American”) is not offensive, but a question, and a very common one indeed, where “negro” is a DESCRIPTIVE noun, not an adjective loaded with a negative connotation. I completely understand why a British or an American might start not understanding the tone or the intention from Suárez. But I myself can clearly understand the account Suárez does and it seems consistent to me. I hear it more as a common (unmarked and uncharged) addressing to Evra.

Finally, the whole verdict seems to be grounded on 3 elements:
1) The FA tends to believe Evra is more reliable than Suarez (a purely subjective element)
2) The FA does not seem to have understood the Spanish language allegedly used --even though they grounded they verdict on their own interpretation of that very Spanish language.
3) They believe the word "negro" cannot be used just in a descriptive way in the context of a discussion--which means they don't really understand how we do use it in the Rio de la Plata area. This made them feel Suarez was unreliable and probably aggravated them.

A pity. The most important thing here has to do with proportion. Suárez’s name has been destroyed and now the FA has shown there is NO EVIDENCE whatsoever of Suarez saying any of the things Evra attributes to him, exception made of Evra’s own statement.

Evra convinced the FA. And I wonder how much of racial prejudice (against the "wild animals" South Americans are supposed to be after Alf Ramsey's famous remark) there is at play on the FA and media heads.

OriginalThinking

Are people on here seriously defending Suarez? It's fairly simple: If you are calling someone by the colour of their skin during a heated conversation then you are doing it wrong. Whether you are inherently racist or not you have massively fucked up. It doesn't matter what country you are from, it matters what country you are in. What is acceptable in some parts of the world isn't acceptable here. As for ruining his life... please. Man has been taught a lesson which he should heed well. In time he'll be able to repair a reputation which was his fault for bringing into disrepute in the first place. End of.

Manuel Traquete

Really informative post from this guy a Professor in Spanish at Brown University, one that backs up my point about the language issues that i've been pointing out.

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showpost.php?p=6859329&postcount=1148

Very interesting article. Is the author really legit? If so, that's some new interesting information on the case.

I also liked Liverpool's statement, but I believe they should have appealed, mostly for moral reasons. The consequences of this decision for football as a whole will be disastrous. I understand why they gave up the case, but I wish they hadn't.

This decision and the reactions to it have only contributed to the trivialization of racism. I don't think the FA and some of the posters on here (and other places) realize how serious a matter racism is. It seems like some football fans now regard racism as a "card" to be played, a "weapon" to see the player they don't like punished. Accepting that someone can be punished by racism with no evidence is pretty much accepting that racism is as serious as your common civil offense.

Racism is a hate crime, one of the biggest plagues of the current society (and in football as well) and one that unfortunately only seems to be growing. And yet it seems like people don't care about that at all.

This is what saddens me the most about this case. This is not a decision that will contribute to eliminate racism, it's a decision that will encourage racism. More specifically, it's a decision that trivializes racism; basically, any player can accuse a fellow player of racism and get him banned even with no evidence at all.

And the worst part is of course that most fans seem to comply with this trivialization, as seen for instance in some posts in this thread, agreeing with the decision because the player they don't like has been punished or disagreeing with it just because their team's player has been punished. I don't see how we can eradicate racism in football (and society of course) while people keep having this attitude. This all process only shows huge disrespect for all those who are indeed daily victims of racial abuse, by basically making a mockery of the suffering they go through.

This must be a new low for football: racism turned into a mere weapon to get rival players suspended.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans