9 - Robert Lewandowski

The only thing that goes against Lewandowski scoring in numbers is that Barca don't really push hard once the game is done. Lost count back in the day how many times we could have scored 6-7 goals but instead took it easy by min 60 and passed the ball around for fun instead of going for max possible goals.

So, possibly less stat padding options, considering Bayern go crazy to drive the score up and Bundesliga teams don't know how to defend. Barca both tends to get lazy when in clear leads, and the opponents defend better.

Really? It actually is the opposite. Why? In Germany goal difference counts for the rank whereas it is direct duel in Spain. So for a lower team in La Liga it is important to win or draw but does not matter for the ranking if they lose by 1 or 10 goals to the big guys.

Lewy's Bundesliga goals for Bayern are pretty well distributed evenly over the game time with a little less in the first 30 minutes.

Let us look when Messi + CR7 scored their goals for Barca + Real in comparison to Lewy (league only)

Messi - CR7 - Lewy

1-15 - - 9,70% - 11,90% - 14,29%
16-30 - - 14,98% - 18,01% - 13,87%
31-45 - - 16,46% - 16,40% - 16,39%
45+ - - 1,05% - 0,32% - 2,52%
46-60 - - 14,98% - 13,83% - 17,65%
61-75 - - 17,72% - 16,08% - 17,23%
76-90 - - 21,31% - 20,58% - 14,71%
90+ - - 3,80% - 2,89% - 3,36%

Source data is from transfermarkt put into Excel to get the percentages. In Germany number format is e.g. 5.000,00 whereas atleast in the US it would be 5,000.00 (I did not want to change my Excelsettings)

The only reason why Barca (and Real) did not have so many goals in the recent years was not the quality of Spanish defenders but the lack of creativity of the midfielders in difference to earlier years...

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Xavi's Barca plays exactly to Lewandowski's strenght. This is closest to 2006 and 2009 Barca when we used Eto'o as a 9. We are not trying to emulate the 2011 team at all and the signings reflect that.

If he gets his shooting straight, he's gonna score 25-30 in the league alone. Maybe more potentially with pens and everything.

The difference is that Etoo was on his prime and played for Real and Mallorca for years.
He knew La Liga, he performed awesome here for years.
And he was 24, or whatever his real age was.

Other attackers who came from abroad, struggled way more.
Larsson, even though he played the key role in 2006's final, never came even close to his Celtic's numbers where he was the most lethal striker for a decade.
Maxi Lopez in 2005 was shit.
He barely scored any goals except a goal vs Chelsea.

Gudjohnsen after 2006' never came even close to his scoring form.

Ronaldinho, Guily and Henry did have a better start, though.
But none of them was 34.

My posts sound as if I am Lewa hater.
But I just can't understand this optimism regarding a player who should have been retired by now and when every match from him is actually a bonus.
Not to mention a new country, new league, new language, new football style, a different style of play by the opponents (technical vs direct in Germany), different type of defending by Spanish-Latino teams.

Chances are extremely high that he'll get nowhere near Bayern's numbers.

serghei

The difference is that Etoo was on his prime and played for Real and Mallorca for years.
He knew La Liga, he performed awesome here for years.
And he was 24, or whatever his real age was.

Other attackers who came from abroad, struggled way more.
Larsson, even though he played the key role in 2006's final, never came even close to his Celtic's numbers where he was the most lethal striker for a decade.
Maxi Lopez in 2005 was shit.
He barely scored any goals except a goal vs Chelsea.

Gudjohnsen after 2006' never came even close to his scoring form.

Ronaldinho, Guily and Henry did have a better start, though.
But none of them was 34.

My posts sound as if I am Lewa hater.
But I just can't understand this optimism regarding a player who should have been retired by now and when every match from him is actually a bonus.
Not to mention a new country, new league, new language, new football style, a different style of play by the opponents (technical vs direct in Germany), different type of defending by Spanish-Latino teams.

Chances are extremely high that he'll get nowhere near Bayern's numbers.

Lewa is not much out of his prime. He should have won the last BD.

He will get very good numbers at Barca for 2-3 seasons, and after that we will need to spend money for a younger 9.

Should have been retired by now? Last season he had one of his best scoring seasons in Germany. Why would you retire when you score a lot of goals?

I get your argument, but you're again pushing it to absurdity.

Chances are he will be a short-term asset for us to regain the La Liga title. I like our chances with him on the team much more. That is all that counts.

What the hell is Benzema doing at Madrid based on your logic? He should be retired since he's almost a year older than Lewandowski. He's doing what he does best, scores goals. Just like Lewandowski will do for us.

Nobody believes Benzema and Lewa will be scoring goals like that until 40. But 36-37 is reasonable. That's already 2-3 years more. 2 years is a lot of time.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Lewa is not much out of his prime. He should have won the last BD.

He will get very good numbers at Barca for 2-3 seasons, and after that we will need to spend money for a younger 9.

Should have been retired by now? Last season he had one of his best scoring seasons in Germany. Why would you retire when you score a lot of goals?

I get your argument, but you're again pushing it to absurdity.

Chances are he will be a short-term asset for us to regain the La Liga title. I like our chances with him on much more. That is all that counts.

You know that I like stats, numbers, history and patterns.

A little game:
1. try to name a few Fcs who were scoring well at the age of 34
2. since you said that he will score for at least two years, now try to find Fcs who were scoring at the age of 36
3. try to find attackers in Spain who were scoring after the age of 34
4. try to find attackers aged 34-36 who moved to a new country and still banged goals in that age

I know, we'll get the replies: but he is different.
Yes, wishful thinking.

5 years ago people had similar silly ideas how Messi will play as a CM till the age of 40, because age doesn't matter if you have Messi's creativity.

People have all sorts of crazy-hopium ideas.

serghei

You know that I like stats, numbers, history and patterns.

A little game:
1. try to name a few Fcs who were scoring well at the age of 34
2. since you said that he will score for at least two years, now try to find Fcs who were scoring at the age of 36
3. try to find attackers in Spain who were scoring after the age of 34
4. try to find attackers aged 34-36 who moved to a new country and still banged goals in that age

I know, we'll get the replies: but he is different.
Yes, wishful thinking.

5 years ago people had similar silly ideas how Messi will play as a CM till the age of 40, because age doesn't matter if you have Messi's creativity.

People have all sorts of crazy-hopium ideas.

OK, why don't you just simplify it and say how much do you think he is going to score next season and the one after. So, at 34 and 35. We're talking La Liga since it's the big objective next season.

BBZ8800

Nobody believes Benzema and Lewa will be scoring goals like that until 40. But 36-37 is reasonable. That's already 2-3 years more. 2 years is a lot of time.

Don't involve Benzema into this.
He plays for RM for 10-ish years.

Benz at RM aged 35 is like Messi at Barca aged 35.
Lewa at Barca aged 35 is like Messi at Psg aged 35.

Those two Messis are like from that "from GOAT to WOAT" joke.
Totally different players.

serghei

Don't involve Benzema into this.
He plays for RM for 10-ish years.

Benz at RM aged 35 is like Messi at Barca aged 35.
Lewa at Barca aged 35 is like Messi at Psg aged 35.

Those two Messis are like from that "from GOAT to WOAT" joke.
Totally different players.

So your main argument is him not adapting to the Spanish league? Or what exactly?

We'll see soon enough. My bet is 25 goals minimum in La Liga only. Which would get him very close to being top goalscorer.

He will need minimum adaptation. We're not playing tiki taka here but a style similar to Bayern. Fast wingers, crosses in, exactly his bread and butter.

I think he'll bag a double starting with Rayo.

Last edited:

jamrock

Bbz is back with is crazy rambles.

Lewa sill score 60-70 goals over the next 2 season's, qoute Me on that.

Then drop off by which time, we'll be getting a replacement ready.

Only ways that doesn't happen is if our project totally fail.

OVI9323

Lewa will have min 25 goal, it's quite easy to see that he'll put a majority of la liga defender in his bag

34 years or not this guy still has it and mainly he with a good team so he'll have space to score

jamrock

Can't compare what happened with Messi with Lewa.

Messi went into a situation where unlike lewa,

1)the team wasn't build around him being successful like lewa will be.

2) poch didn't know wtf he was doing managing more then 1 WC player.

3) it was a new league.

Only one of those things will be try for lewa.

serghei

Not to mention PSG had the league in the bag after like 2 months in the season, and Messi doesn't give a fuck and wants to be ready for Argies. :lol:

malvolio

Imagine trying to defend Messi's first season at PSG by saying "he is only there for the lulz", basically.

Nah, Messi even said injuries, covid and most of all the switch to PSG that broke him mentally as he wasn't ready for that, were all reasons. Poor season, but he isn't there "for the lulz". At least he isn't right now, maybe that will change after the WC.

Home of Barca Fans