9 - Robert Lewandowski

Temptation

He has declined but he's still one of the best goalscorers on the planet.

Ofcourse, in his pomp he was so ridiculously complete and flawless as a player that you were lost for words. Literally had zero weakness or attributes lacking.

But it always makes me laugh when the armchair experts on the forum scapegoat the all time great instead of the dogshit overall team dynamics and playing style.

Only CR7 has more headed goals than RL9. Barca players can't cross to save their lives so you have already shut down one of his biggest qualities. Cancelo is the only good crosser and he's drifting into the CM. Hence, zero crosses to attack.

Why tf is Xavi playing a wing play based system when none of the wide players can put in a cross? Coz unlike Pep, Xavi can't coach cutbacks-dominated patterns of play.....

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

He has declined but he's still one of the best goalscorers on the planet.

Ofcourse, in his pomp he was so ridiculously complete and flawless as a player that you were lost for words. Literally had zero weakness or attributes lacking.

But it always makes me laugh when the armchair experts on the forum scapegoat the all time great instead of the dogshit overall team dynamics and playing style.

Only CR7 has more headed goals than RL9. Barca players can't cross to save their lives so you have already shit down one of his biggest qualities. Cancelo is the only good crosser and he's drifting into the CM. Hence, zero crosses to attack.

Why tf is Xavi playing a wing play based system when none of the wide players can put in a cross? Coz unlike Pep, Xavi can't coach cutbacks-dominated patterns of play.....

True, how can you have one of the best header players of all time and do no crosses?

Lewa was way better last match than in his first matches, i hope he will get his form from last season (first half) back. Joaos will help him.

Horatio

You're welcome
In the sense that age doesn’t affect a player’s ability to execute in front of goal. It also doesn’t affect positional awareness. But that requires one of two things(preferably both): 1) individual intelligence of teammates, 2) a system which facilitates opportunities to score from the best angles.
Sure, but age does affect agility. He simply needs a bit more time to act. Football can be a game of margins. So if he needs 0.5 more seconds to set up the goal that’s enough for good defenders.

JamDav1982

He was better on Saturday and that includes link up play.

Felix and Ferran got up around him a lot and it helped.

There was one point he took of with ball and actually looked still 'pacey' enough once got legs going also it is more the small spaces he seems to struggle at times.

He will like Ferran from right as and Cancelo are best two crossers of ball in team when plays there.

delancey

Sure, but age does affect agility. He simply needs a bit more time to act. Football can be a game of margins. So if he needs 0.5 more seconds to set up the goal that’s enough for good defenders.
I think it depends on a player’s position and the system in which he plays. A workhorse will see a decline in physical agility, but a player whose output is less dependent on workhorse attributes, it matters less. Reading the game well, being in the right position, and having intelligent teammates (and a system which complements his strength, ie ability to execute) will always benefit a player like Lewandowski. His profile shouldn’t be a playmaker, or roaming around in midfield expected to facilitate assists. His strength is in his execution, and our system should facilitate that. Hence the comparison to Haaland. I think it’s just as good (as long as the system encourages it).

I’d also argue that the German league is more competitive and intelligent than La Liga today. But that’s debatable, seeing how well Spanish teams have performed in Europe. Lewa scored 35 Bundesliga goals in 21/22. 13 CL goals. 2 in the DFL super cup. That makes it 50 goals in total in 21/22.

His output dropped significantly since he joined us. In fact, none of our attackers have done extraordinarily well under Xavi’s “system” :lol: … so far. The system is at fault, not agility. Play to his strengths, the way Bayern’s system did. That should be the goal.

Or as the saying goes, don’t judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree. :lol: I think criticism directed at him is unfair. And it doesn’t strike at the root of the problem.

Of course, agility plays a part as players age, no doubt, but 35 years is the new 30, especially in Lewa’s case.

Last edited:

JohnN

I think it depends on a player’s position and the system in which he plays. A workhorse will see a decline in physical agility, but a player whose output is less dependent on workhorse attributes, it matters less. Reading the game well, being in the right position, and having intelligent teammates (and a system which complements his strength, ie ability to execute) will always benefit a player like Lewandowski. His profile shouldn’t be a playmaker, or roaming around in midfield expected to facilitate assists. His strength is in his execution, and our system should facilitate that. Hence the comparison to Haaland. I think it’s just as good (as long as the system encourages it).

I’d also argue that the German league is more competitive and intelligent than La Liga today. But that’s debatable, seeing how well Spanish teams have performed in Europe. Lewa scored 35 Bundesliga goals in 21/22. 13 CL goals. 2 in the DFL super cup. That makes it 50 goals in total in 21/22.

His output dropped significantly since he joined us. In fact, none of our attackers have done extraordinarily well under Xavi’s “system” :lol: … so far. The system is at fault, not agility. Play to his strengths, the way Bayern’s system did. That should be the goal.

Or as the saying goes, don’t judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree. :lol: I think criticism directed at him is unfair. And it doesn’t strike at the root of the problem.

Of course, agility plays a part as players age, no doubt, but 35 years is the new 30, especially in Lewa’s case.
His output dropped significantly since he joined us because we are not at least twice better than every other la liga team, but Bayern were twice as good as almost any other team from Bundesliga and one of the best sides in the world.

Also, missing sitters left and right doesn't help his cause. What we need from Lewandowski at this stage, is to put in the easy goals consistently, score some wondergoals to help the team when needed and inspire the younger guys with his attitude and drive.

Reverting back to constantly crossing just to accommodate him doesn't help the team in the long run. Also, we do cross when the chance arrives, but he usually isn't on the receiving end of the cross for some reason.

Temptation

His output dropped significantly since he joined us because we are not at least twice better than every other la liga team, but Bayern were twice as good as almost any other team from Bundesliga and one of the best sides in the world.

Also, missing sitters left and right doesn't help his cause. What we need from Lewandowski at this stage, is to put in the easy goals consistently, score some wondergoals to help the team when needed and inspire the younger guys with his attitude and drive.

Reverting back to constantly crossing just to accommodate him doesn't help the team in the long run. Also, we do cross when the chance arrives, but he usually isn't on the receiving end of the cross for some reason.

Let's break down his numbers for Barca:

He has 36 in 50 for Barca.

The penalty drought is a strange situation/exception. Any other big team in this period would have had atleast 6 to 7 penalties. That'd automatically take his numbers to approximately 41 in 50. He's arguably the greatest penalty taker in the modern era.

About your crossing point, the issue is that Barcelona has absolutely pathetic crossers of the ball. The only good crosser was Alba who left and was secondary since Lewandowski came in. Cancelo is class at them but seems like he's playing a RB/CM hybrid role so there's that. Like I said, only Cristiano has more headed goals than him. If Xavi is gonna play "cross and pray" tactics then use better crossers.

The rest have been the sitters he missed during his worst patch of form.

He's not in his peak but is still one of the best around.

Has a healthy amount of assists too.

Hence, his numbers haven't been awful at all for Barca. Even with the penalty curse, lack of crosses, worst form of his career his numbers are world class. I am agreeing with him being dogshit in that post WC portion.

delancey

Bundesliga may be a one horse race, but I’d get the jitters from several German teams had we drawn them in the CL. RB Leipzig, Dortmund… to name a few.

True, his form dropped after the World Cup. With that said, our football was dire after the World Cup. How many 1-0 games were we forced to endure? Slow, static, boring. Our midfield’s creativity consisted of passing the ball out to the wing, and inshallah. Heck, even Haaland would struggle without support, creativity and predictability. Our entire front line struggled, and this is on Xavi.

Finally, Lewa should be accommodated and supported. He hasn’t been supported the way he was at Bayern and that’s my point.

But yes, he has missed a few sitters. But that’s not the root cause of our lackluster attack. Tactics, lack of combination play, reliance on individual brilliance, predictability are culprits. Doing the same thing over and over again and…. 😜

JamDav1982

He was good on Saturday and looked lively.

Barca need to manage squad this season and stop likes of Lewa/Gavi looking leggy by end of it.

Xavi cant overplay them now.

Home of Barca Fans