Alen Halilović

DinhoR10

I'm quite nervous about anticipating a really good youngster coming through. After Thiago, there has really been nobody that has shown to be Barca material, let alone anything special. I was a bit disappointed with Rafinha, as people here who said they have seen a lot of him hyped him to no extent, saying he is better than his brother, etc. but once again it looks like he might fall well short of our expectations.

Can someone give me a truthful non biased view on Alen? From whatever I have seen, he seems like the only one in our academy right now who could be something special. And yes, of course I know he is rusty and has a lot to learn, but with special players you can just tell there's something about them.

Theres also Grimaldo Adama and Samper who have all played well in their cameos with the first team.

yahudi

Can someone give me a truthful non biased view on Alen? From whatever I have seen, he seems like the only one in our academy right now who could be something special. And yes, of course I know he is rusty and has a lot to learn, but with special players you can just tell there's something about them.

So far he hasn't shown anything worth a promotion. As of now, he has not one single trait that really sets him apart from his teammates.

edit:
Theres also Grimaldo Adama and Samper who have all played well in their cameos with the first team.

Grimaldo is good at going forward and his link-up play is nice. His defending (especially positioning) is mediocre, though

Adama is as one dimensional as it gets. Son has pace galore but he has about one move to beat his defender. Plus, his final delivery is still not good enough. But then again, neither was Tello's and he still has a decent career.

Samper is the most likely one to make it. He is basically a younger version of Busquets with similar strengths and flaws. Son is already a leader and one of the most consistent performers for Barca B

Last edited:

BBZ8800

I'm quite nervous about anticipating a really good youngster coming through. After Thiago, there has really been nobody that has shown to be Barca material, let alone anything special. I was a bit disappointed with Rafinha, as people here who said they have seen a lot of him hyped him to no extent, saying he is better than his brother, etc. but once again it looks like he might fall well short of our expectations.

I have said on another thread.
I am from Croatia, and I know a lot of people who are doubting him. Me too.

He was nothing special in Dinamo Zagreb, except that he was dribbling till death. (He reminds me of young Quaresma who failed here.)
Basically, whenever he gets the ball, you know that he will try to dribble past 4-5 opponents.
Sometimes he will succeed in that, and then people will make Youtube videos of a new Messi, but other 4-5 times, he will just lose the ball in every attempt.

Some of his Dinamo teammates also didn't like that attitude and a way of playing. Some fans (me included) also didn't like that.
But Dinamo's president Mamic encouraged him to do whatever he wanted and allowed him to dribble and do circus tricks in order to hype the kid and sell him later for a lots of money.
Even though, he was sold for much less than the owners of Dinamo expected.

There are other guys here from Croatia who probably adore him, but I don't give him 1% chance to succeed in Barca.
He will play in some other bigger club probably (more like Roma, Arsenal, Tottenham)
I see him more like Bojan or Gio Dos Santos than as a Barca material.

Also, whenever I am watcking him, he plays in the same way:
-- you don't see him for 10 minutes
-- then he gets the ball
-- then he tries to dribble past 5 defenders
-- then he loses the ball
-- then you don't see him again for 10 minutes
-- then he tries another attempt of dribbling past 5 players

Again, sometimes he manages to dribble past them, and then you see those actions on youtube and people are amazed by his skills.
But again, if you are watching him closely for 2-3-5 matches, you will see that apart from 2-3 brilliant solo actions, he doesn't participate too much in the match.
Also, his solo actions usually end in a save/post/off target, so you basically get a few fancy moves, and zero concrete things like Goals, passes, assists, a lot of participation in a build up play.

Also, there were a lot of reports and some of his gestures after some goals, that he already thinks that he is as good Messi.
He acted like a diva/spoilt kid while he was playing in Croatia.

Yesterday again, in one action, he tried to run through 4 or 5 Argentina defenders.
I don't know, I am personally always asking when watching him on the field: "Wtf are you doing again?"

++ Also, I have to say that I don't believe in hype of most of the young players, so I currently don't believe neither in Deulo, Adama, Sandro and other players, I think that only Samper has everything to make it here. And maybe Munir.
So, I am maybe too harsh on our young players.

But that is what I learned during last 15-ish Seasons of Barca's history.

Last edited:

Neeraj

I have said on another thread.
I am from Croatia, and I know a lot of people who are doubting him. Me too.

He was nothing special in Dinamo Zagreb, except that he was dribbling till death. (He reminds me of young Quaresma who failed here.)
Basically, whenever he gets the ball, you know that he will try to dribble past 4-5 opponents.
Sometimes he will succeed in that, and then people will make Youtube videos of a new Messi, but other 4-5 times, he will just lose the ball in every attempt.

Some of his Dinamo teammates also didn't like that attitude and a way of playing. Some fans (me included) also didn't like that.
But Dinamo's president Mamic encouraged him to do whatever he wanted and allowed him to dribble and do circus tricks in order to hype the kid and sell him later for a lots of money.
Even though, he was sold for much less than the owners of Dinamo expected.

There are other guys here from Croatia who probably adore him, but I don't give him 1% chance to succeed in Barca.
He will play in some other bigger club probably (more like Roma, Arsenal, Tottenham)
I see him more like Bojan or Gio Dos Santos than as a Barca material.

Also, whenever I am watcking him, he plays in the same way:
-- you don't see him for 10 minutes
-- then he gets the ball
-- then he tries to dribble past 5 defenders
-- then he loses the ball
-- then you don't see him again for 10 minutes
-- then he tries another attempt of dribbling past 5 players

Again, sometimes he manages to dribble past them, and then you see those actions on youtube and people are amazed by his skills.
But again, if you are watching him closely for 2-3-5 matches, you will see that apart from 2-3 brilliant solo actions, he doesn't participate too much in the match.
Also, his solo actions usually end in a save/post/off target, so you basically get a few fancy moves, and zero concrete things like Goals, passes, assists, a lot of participation in a build up play.

Also, there were a lot of reports and some of his gestures after some goals, that he already thinks that he is as good Messi.
He acted like a diva/spoilt kid while he was playing in Croatia.

Yesterday again, in one action, he tried to run through 4 or 5 Argentina defenders.
I don't know, I am personally always asking when watching him on the field: "Wtf are you doing again?"

++ Also, I have to say that I don't believe in hype of most of the young players, so I currently don't believe neither in Deulo, Adama, Sandro and other players, I think that only Samper has everything to make it here. And maybe Munir.
So, I am maybe too harsh on our young players.

But that is what I learned during last 15-ish Seasons of Barca's history.

Hmm thanks for the in-depth look on him! And if what you said is indeed the correct picture, that's worrying. I cannot see him ever becoming a quality player cause he doesn't seem to have anything other than some good dribbling thanks to his centre of gravity. And I agree with you on the slightly barren youth team prospects right now, but I don't agree with the Munir part. I really don't think Munir seems anything special, he got a few goals early on and everyone jumped on the hype gravy train, but I just don't see anything in him.

If at all, I think Sandro could be someone who makes the Barca team, not a starter, but I can see him making our squad and being a bench player. He is direct and just a breath of fresh air, and seems to have a decent shot.

MessiDinho10

He's very good technically, but he needs a lot of polishing. First up is looking to the right. When he receives the ball he does one of two things:

1. Passing the ball to a teammate on the left flank
2. Attempting a dribble past a couple of players and then give a pass to the left or shoot. You will rarely see him giving a through ball on the RW or RB.

Second up is using his right foot, he does everything with his left. Furthermore, his efficiency is far too low. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he has yet to assist or score a goal in an official match this season. Worth noting that Barça B is shit at the moment, so not entirely his fault.
And last but not least, I feel he still needs to adapt to Spanish football. The technical and tactical level is very high, and in comparison to Croatia I think the gap is huge.
So give him a little time to get more comfortable here and get a little bit stronger and faster, and I think we will have a great talent on our hands.

BBZ8800

He's very good technically, but he needs a lot of polishing. First up is looking to the right. When he receives the ball he does one of two things:

1. Passing the ball to a teammate on the left flank
2. Attempting a dribble past a couple of players and then give a pass to the left or shoot. You will rarely see him giving a through ball on the RW or RB.

Second up is using his right foot, he does everything with his left. Furthermore, his efficiency is far too low. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he has yet to assist or score a goal in an official match this season. Worth noting that Barça B is shit at the moment, so not entirely his fault.
And last but not least, I feel he still needs to adapt to Spanish football. The technical and tactical level is very high, and in comparison to Croatia I think the gap is huge.
So give him a little time to get more comfortable here and get a little bit stronger and faster, and I think we will have a great talent on our hands.

True.
He can improve.

But there were informations that his contract says that he needs to be promoted to a first team in the next Season.
He will be aged 19.

He needs more time in Barca B. He will not be good enough for Barca A. And loans, I don't remember when was the last time that we had a young player who was loaned and who later returned to be a first team player.
I can't think of any player in the last 10-15 years (I may be wrong).

Anyway, for guys who know more about this, what will happen at the end of the Season: Can he still play in Barca B, or he must either play in A team or go on a loan?

F

Flavia

True.
He can improve.

But there were informations that his contract says that he needs to be promoted to a first team in the next Season.
He will be aged 19.

He needs more time in Barca B. He will not be good enough for Barca A. And loans, I don't remember when was the last time that we had a young player who was loaned and who later returned to be a first team player.

Anyway, for guys who know more about this, what will happen at the end of the Season: Can he still play in Barca B, or he must either play in A team or go on a loan?

He'll be automatically promoted to the 1st team. I think he'll be loaned.

khaled_a_d

True.
He can improve.

He will be aged 19.

If he agrees he can stay with Barca B,players put such clauses to be sure not to have more power in deciding their future ,he was smart enough to choose us so may be he is gonna be smart enough to stay with Barca B
But that isn't the time to talk about his future next year ,nobody would have imagined Munir playing with 1st team this year,he might have breakout at the end of the season ,he might be disappointing and shows he need 1 more year with B team ,at this stage such early judgment is way premature

BBZ8800

He's really good, and its against a strong argentina side too. The only thing that i can see needing work is his decision making in the final 3rd doesnt look for the through ball fast enough.

These clips are so misleading.

Again, a player can do nothing for 10 minutes, you won't see that on a clip.
You will see only a few good moves.

Also, as expected, a clip hasn't included a "wtf" moment when he tried to run through 4 Argentina's defenders.
Of course that he didn't make it.

People shouldn't trust in Youtube clips too much.

DinhoR10

These clips are so misleading.

Again, a player can do nothing for 10 minutes, you won't see that on a clip.
You will see only a few good moves.

Also, as expected, a clip hasn't included a "wtf" moment when he tried to run through 4 Argentina's defenders.
Of course that he didn't make it.

People shouldn't trust in Youtube clips too much.

Mistakes are bound to happen with an 18 year old playing at the highest level, specially one who isnt playing for a first team regularly right now, he's not messi so I dont expect him to play like a complete player at his age already, all i'm saying is he shows promise. For alot of young players the main thing is replicating their talents against senior opposition, his decision making may not be there yet but he shows that he can actually play against the likes of Argentina, a side one miss away form wining the world cup this year.

BBZ8800

Mistakes are bound to happen with an 18 year old playing at the highest level, specially one who isnt playing for a first team regularly right now, he's not messi so I dont expect him to play like a complete player at his age already, all i'm saying is he shows promise. For alot of young players the main thing is replicating their talents against senior opposition, his decision making may not be there yet but he shows that he can actually play against the likes of Argentina, a side one miss away form wining the world cup this year.

He has the same problems from the moment when he started to play on a senior level.
Horrible decisions making, horrible selfishness, wrong diva attitude.
And his solo actions are extremely ineffective.
He is just producing a few random fancy moves and not producing any assists or goals, on a larger sample.

Again, Dinamo's owner allowed him to do everything because he just wanted to earn money on him.
But even then, he was players with a lot of flaws.

Your argument about how he is young is just strange and you are defending him.
There are hundreds of young players with a better attitude and better decisions.
He has a talent, but that doesn't mean too much if he makes too many wrong decisions all the time or if he plays in a too selfish way.

About playing against Argentina, Argentina played in a friendly way with probably 50% of their abilities.
So, if he made a few passes and tried a few dribbles against them, I don't see anything special in that.

Even Montoya could have played for Croatia (just an example), or Sergi Roberto, Rafinha in that match.
You would say that it shows how they can play against Argentina.

Yes, they CAN play against Argentina, but they are nothing special and not good enough for Barca.

Home of Barca Fans