Alex Song

Arachnid

Talking about Abidal ... I still don't understand why the club is acting as if a return of him would be possible (including him in the CL squad list, talking about "we'll wait for you, no matter how long it will take" etc.). Look at Villa's return. He's still not able to start a game. Abidal had a far more serious and life threatening operation than a simple leg break, is out of football longer than Villa was and is 3 years older than Villa. It would be a miracle if he could return and start for Barcelona at a proper level ever again, let alone this season in the Champions League. Why is the club acting otherwise?

And the media keep talking about miraculous recoveries, like Armstrong or that rugby player who came back after an organ transplant... those are called "miraculous" because they are rare exceptions, people, not the norm.

X

xaviniesta

Anyone remember how many games it took Mascherano to become wordclass at CB? I remember his first game at CB was in April 2011, but i can't remember anymore if he was a success right from the start.

the first game was vs shaktar away 10/11 season. and then right after came the clasicos. he was world class from the first minute since today. don't forget all the big games where he was started like 2-0 vs madrid and 1-1 home, then the CL final 11, copa del rey final last season etc. and btw, barcelona won their last 2 CL finals by prefering a midfielder to a defender to play in CB.

Arachnid

the first game was vs shaktar away 10/11 season. and then right after came the clasicos. he was world class from the first minute since today. don't forget all the big games where he was started like 2-0 vs madrid and 1-1 home, then the CL final 11, copa del rey final last season etc. and btw, barcelona won their last 2 CL finals by prefering a midfielder to a defender to play in CB.

Prefering? Left without any other option, you mean.

X

xaviniesta

08/09 yaya over caceres and milito. 10/11 masch over milito and puyol (although unfit, still played last 5 mins)

and rafa in 06 as well, although he played a lot in defence, but also in midfield.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Talking about Abidal ... I still don't understand why the club is acting as if a return of him would be possible (including him in the CL squad list, talking about "we'll wait for you, no matter how long it will take" etc.). Look at Villa's return. He's still not able to start a game. Abidal had a far more serious and life threatening operation than a simple leg break, is out of football longer than Villa was and is 3 years older than Villa. It would be a miracle if he could return and start for Barcelona at a proper level ever again, let alone this season in the Champions League. Why is the club acting otherwise?
I think it's a reassurance to Abi that we care...

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
08/09 yaya over caceres and milito. 10/11 masch over milito and puyol (although unfit, still played last 5 mins)

and rafa in 06 as well, although he played a lot in defence, but also in midfield.
Milito wasn't available the first time. Don't remember the second time

Paganinisrvnge

Tito should experiment with the double pivot. This is what I would try out.
abDoTT2aku.jpg
[/url]

Paganinisrvnge

we lose width with that formation, against Dive Maria and Cristina it could prove suicidal

Alba and Alves provide the width. It would be important that they don't both attack at the same time as both getting caught out of position would be bad. Busquets could drop back to provide cover at the back as well.

Theconomist

That formation doesn't help with wings.
I've been thinking about this more and more, we will concede no matter what with that makeshift defence. What we should do is play the same way we played late in the 2nd half more often.
We won't start like this buy removing alba/adriano and bringing on Sanchez with Messi pushing further back can mean we really turn into a goal machine.

Home of Barca Fans