Alexis Sanchez

adil_909

last year we sold villa, didn't replace him. now we are selling alexis, probably won't replace him. wtf is going on here? can't people see that we need someone in front of messi in order for him to be at his best? neymar and zlatan both also came deep and failed miserably, and yet we keep selling players that actually like to play in the front.

Stric

last year we sold villa, didn't replace him. now we are selling alexis, probably won't replace him. wtf is going on here? can't people see that we need someone in front of messi in order for him to be at his best? neymar and zlatan both also came deep and failed miserably, and yet we keep selling players that actually like to play in the front.

We bought Neymar after we sold Villa, though. Not exactly the same type of player, but they are/were both used as LWs. Rafinha is coming back from loan, as far as I know, so in terms of numbers, we'll stay the same.

adil_909

We bought Neymar after we sold Villa, though. Not exactly the same type of player, but they are/were both used as LWs. Rafinha is coming back from loan, as far as I know, so in terms of numbers, we'll stay the same.

but villa played in the box wayyyyyyyy more than neymar does, and that's been a huge part of the problem this year.

Stric

but villa played in the box wayyyyyyyy more than neymar does, and that's been a huge part of the problem this year.

As I said, I know they're not the same type of player...

I agree, though. Even last season, what worked best was when we used Pedro on the left and Villa "on the right", but in reality he was cutting inside and into the box all the time to drag defenders with him. Alves overlapped on the right.

adil_909

As I said, I know they're not the same type of player...

I agree, though. Even last season, what worked best was when we used Pedro on the left and Villa "on the right", but in reality he was cutting inside and into the box all the time to drag defenders with him. Alves overlapped on the right.

agreed. and even when alexis plays "on the right" he does cut in similarly to what villa used to do, just not as frequently. but by selling him off as well, we are left with nobody who can do this on a consistent basis. they might have some plans to sign someone for this role, but if the plan is for messi or fabregas to play up there, we are f*cked.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We will replace him with a player.

His replacement is....

Cuadrado - he is gonna be our RB/RW :zubi:

Stric

This is why I was pissed that we sold Villa. He was the perfect guy to solve the problems we had at the time. Messi as false 9 without someone in front of him just gets easier to defend against every time. Alexis and Pedro could cut in, surely, but they're still wingers, and they don't do it frequently enough. In that system I mentioned, Villa spent more of his time in the centre than on the flank. It was a brilliant combination of 3-4-3 when attacking and 4-3-3 when defending. The problem was that neither Villa or Alves make defensive efforts, so our right side was screwed when we were defending. If we had someone who moves as a striker, and can take on the winger role in defense/buildup, it would be perfect.

adil_909

Neymar has been better than Villa was for us.

tumblr_lymb3pj2CW1r8145qo1_250.gif

Pepe Silvia

So it's Neymar's fault he hasn't been told to use his movement in and around the box? No. That was Tata's strategy to use his dribbling skills to contain the left mid flank and to create movement to hook up with Iniesta/Messi through the middle. It exposed our defense when Alba was forced to help in attack, but that's the risk we took. For that reason, Neymar gravitated towards midfield more often and ran in towards defenders from the wing, but he is plenty capable to play short one-twos from the box and make runs off defender shoulders like Villa did, it's his reading of the Spanish game that needs to build up, but that will evolve with the proper instruction and tactics over time (assuming striker positioning is the direction a coach would want to take for his future). No sense in saying Villa was better when this is Neymar's first season at Barca/La Liga and has performed well in the role he was asked to fill.

Alexis is interesting because he spent most of his Barca career trying to make his mark instead of living in the moment which is when he performs at his best (spontaneous). Most actions were forced, and it wasn't his fault he was played out of position like many others here were forced to do, but that's the reality. He has proven he can put some goals in the net, which is what we desperately lacked in his first part here but there are critical things wrong with his game that can not be fixed, such as his profile. He is short, not very physical, not that good in the air, and not a natural goal scorer. His positives are noticed when the system is working, but when it's off he is not of the type to create and rise to the occasion. Someone mentioned that in this thread? earlier and it was spot on, I just had to reiterate. I applaud his efforts over the years, but I fear it may be time for he and Pedro to respectfully leave the club.

Home of Barca Fans