Alexis Sanchez

Trickykid

Yes. I know that Guily wasn't rated as too good player by most people.
For me, no matter how average Guily was, Alexis isn't better.

Guily trashed Real Madrid with Monaco in CL semifinals and his singe Goal against Milan on San Siro helped us to win CL that Season.

Now, you can write a nice story how Alexis' goals have helped us win CL's.
Oh wait, since he came we haven't won any and we won't until Fab, him and similar guys will be here.

What a surprise..

So, I'll take it you checked his scoring stats but it slipped your mind to comment on his brilliant haul, right?
Cute...

Oh, and did he play well for Monaco against RM? Awesome! It's not like Alexis has had great games for Chile and Udinese... or us, against the likes of RM.

BBZ8800

The teams Alexis played against were a lot better than the teams Aguero played, not to mention he was isolated on the wing instead of being the main man like Aguero, not to mention it's a pretty small sample size, not to mention he played well in quite a few of those games even if he didn't score.

Every striker in the world scores tap-ins, you can't just discredit those.

For example, Cristiano Ronaldo's 31 La Liga goals

7 of those were tap-ins, + penalties which I was too lazy to count. Those are still counted, no?

The only difference is that Ronaldo CAN score:
1. tap ins against weaker teams
2. tons of regular Goals (penalties and tap ins excluded) against bigger teams in La Liga
3. tons of regular Goals (penalties and tap ins excluded) against best teams in CL

Now, let's go to Alexis, he can score:
2. one Goal from 10 shots against any decent La Liga teams
3. he will almost never score against stronger opponents in CL, not only because he doesn't play too much..

If you get my point

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Is not a small sample size when Alexis has struggled in the UCL for 3 seasons now. He has 24 appearances in the UCL with just 3 goals to his name.

14 of those were substitute appearances, and he didn't play that many full games at all. But I do agree, CL is his weakest competition and where he could easily use the most improvement; however, it should not be the dominant point of analysis. If a player was only good in Europe but sucked in the league he wouldn't be rated very highly, because the league is where the majority of games happen, such as Fernando Torres the past few seasons. I would much rather our forwards had a great scoring record in the league and were meh in CL as opposed to the other way around. Again, that is definitely his weakest point; there's no denying that.

2013-14 Barcelona: 100 goals.
2007-08 Barcelona: 76 goals.
2009-10 Barcelona: 98 goals.
2010-11 Barcelona: 95 goals.

And we had a lot more space back then as well :worthy:

2. tons of regular Goals (penalties and tap ins excluded) against bigger teams in La Liga

Didn't really see any of those in the video... A bit odd, that...

Quick question, are you just pulling that number out of your hat or have you actually calculated it?

Last edited:
L

Learo

3. tons of regular Goals (penalties and tap ins excluded) against best teams in CL

3. he will almost never score against stronger opponents in CL, not only because he doesn't play too much..

If you get my point

Alexis scored two of the best goals in the last 10 years in any league in Europe against the two CL finalists, Atletico and Real M.

BBZ8800

So, I'll take it you checked his scoring stats but it slipped your mind to comment on his brilliant haul, right?
Cute...

Oh, and did he play well for Monaco against RM? Awesome! It's not like Alexis has had great games for Chile and Udinese... or us, against the likes of RM.

Ok.

Or..
Guily was a part of the attacking tridente Ronnie-Eto'o-Guily which brought our club on the right track after years and years of misery.
In his 3 Seasons here:
-- he won 2 La Liga titles
-- he played a huge role in those titles (not with Goals, obviously)
-- we won a CL in 2006 after 14 Seasons, it was a miracle in those days
-- he helped a team to restore from the dust and to enter the best 10 years in Barca's history

Now, let's go to mighty Alexis:
-- won 1 La Liga, hardly an instrumental player in it
-- won 0 CLs, he is one of the reasons for that
-- the team is worse and worse each year
-- transfers like his and Fabs are also a part of the reason for that

I don't know, in my eyes, Guily will always be miles ahead of Alexis.
Alexis brought nothing.

In fact, he and Fab brought league titles to Atletico and Real.
And CL, who knows when we will again win another one?

BBZ8800

Alexis scored two of the best goals in the last 10 years in any league in Europe against the two CL finalists, Atletico and Real M.

Why are his Goals more beautiful than Ibra kung-fu Goals?
And better than Messi's solo goals when he dribbled past 5 defenders?

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead

If you get my point

And how would you comment on his 10 assists (some sources say it's 12) in La Liga? It's 19 goals and 10 assists, this means that he contributed to 29 out our 100 goals in La Liga.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
14 of those were substitute appearances, and he didn't play that many full games at all. But I do agree, CL is his weakest competition and where he could easily use the most improvement; however, it should not be the dominant point of analysis. If a player was only good in Europe but sucked in the league he wouldn't be rated very highly, because the league is where the majority of games happen, such as Fernando Torres the past few seasons. I would much rather our forwards had a great scoring record in the league and were meh in CL as opposed to the other way around. Again, that is definitely his weakest point; there's no denying that.

Just to nitpick, he started 14 of those game though did not finish all. He was subbed in in 10 games.

As to the rest, I agree a player playing better in the longer competition is preferable, though I would much rather the player be consistent and reliable in all competitions. On top of that, equally worrisome is the fact that only this season, of the 3 has Alexis put forth good scoring numbers in La Liga. Without this La Liga to enhance his resume, he's had 2 poor La Ligas and 3 poor UCLs, that is worrisome. Add to the fact that his La Liga scoring tally is definitely deceiving, IMO. People should not be getting too caught up with his 19 La Liga goals as the end all, be all stat.

BBZ8800

Quick question, are you just pulling that number out of your hat or have you actually calculated it?

I am pulling that number.
But someone posted somewhere numbers, and Alexis had 70-80 shots, something like that.
If you remove 9 tap ins and free kick Goals, he needs 7-8 shots for one Goal.

Wait, you don't have a feeling when Ney, Alexis and Pedro shoot, that they will need like 10 attempts to finally score a Goal?

Trickykid

Ok.

Or..
Guily was a part of the attacking tridente Ronnie-Eto'o-Guily which brought our club on the right track after years and years of misery.
In his 3 Seasons here:
-- he won 2 La Liga titles
-- he played a huge role in those titles (not with Goals, obviously)
-- we won a CL in 2006 after 14 Seasons, it was a miracle in those days
-- he helped a team to restore from the dust and to enter the best 10 years in Barca's history

Now, let's go to mighty Alexis:
-- won 1 La Liga, hardly an instrumental player in it
-- won 0 CLs, he is one of the reasons for that
-- the team is worse and worse each year
-- transfers like his and Fabs are also a part of the reason for that

I don't know, in my eyes, Guily will always be miles ahead of Alexis.
Alexis brought nothing.

In fact, he and Fab brought league titles to Atletico and Real.
And CL, who knows when we will again win another one?

I don't care what you believe Giuly brought us. That was a completely different team back then.

What i do care about, is you claiming that he was some sort of goal scoring god, who scored Oh so much more often than Alexis. Now, go ahead and check those out of this world scoring stats and come back here and tell me they were superior to those of Alexis.

Unless of course you feel like admitting that you were complete and utterly wrong.

BBZ8800

And how would you comment on his 10 assists (some sources say it's 12) in La Liga? It's 19 goals and 10 assists, this means that he contributed to 29 out our 100 goals in La Liga.

Look, he isn't a bad player. He is a very good player.

But in shorter, not to go into circles, imo, he (not only him, but Pedro also, and Ney could prove the same in the future) are not as good as our players from golden generations when we won CLs.

With players like Alexis and Pedro, one Season we will win La Liga.
The other Season we won't.

But we won't win any CLs, that is very likely.

He is a 8,5/10 player for Barca.
He can play, but we will never reach heights like with Ronnie and Eto'o, if you get me.

Something like Fab. It's not that he is a crap.
But he probably won't ever lead our team like Xavi in his golden years.
Maybe we will win something under Fab, maybe we won't.
But more likely is that we won't.

That is my view on Alexis.
It's not like he is a crap.
But something is missing and I don't believe that we will have another "golden era/cycle" with Pedro and Alexis forming an important part of our attacking tridente.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Yeah I gotta say, I also don't agree with the Giuly argument. Giuly was nothing special for Barcelona, and Alexis is definitely and appreciably better than him.

Giuly's best goal tally for Barca in La Liga was 11 goals his first season. He scored 5 and 3 respectively in his next 2 seasons in La Liga.

serghei

And we had a lot more space back then as well :worthy:

Yea, based on the stats, the defence failed us this season, and that's because of the midfield too.

In 2008/2009 we scored 95 goals, less than this season, but we also received only 21 goals (this season 33, 50% more goals conceded)

BBZ8800

I don't care what you believe Giuly brought us. That was a completely different team back then.

What i do care about, is you claiming that he was some sort of goal scoring god, who scored Oh so much more often than Alexis. Now, go ahead and check those out of this world scoring stats and come back here and tell me they were superior to those of Alexis.

Unless of course you feel like admitting that you were complete and utterly wrong.

I was wrong about Guily, my bad.
But we can agree that Alexis and Pedro are behind Ronnie, Eto'o, Larsson and young Messi?

So, current Pedro and Alexis would be a 5th and 6th choice back then. (in 2006, with a little help from a Time-machine)
Today, they are the 2nd and the 3rd choice, or the 3rd and the 4th.

If you get my point.
That should prove how our attacking line today is much weaker today than then, for example.
If Alexis would be our 5th choice back then (behind Ronnie, Etoo, Larsson and young Messi)
And if he is today our 2nd (behind Messi) or 3rd choice (behind Messi and Ney)

Again, I don't think that he is a bad player. But he is not as good as players that brought us a huge success in the last 10 Seasons.

Home of Barca Fans