Alexis Sanchez

Darko

Ok. I am not saying that this is the case with Alexis, but in a history of football and in a history of other team sports, there were players:
1. who had good individual stats (Goals, Assists etc)
2. but the team in which they were playing, just always performed averagely, despite Goals/assists/good individual stats from a player.

Example in numbers, imagine a team scoring 60 Goals in one Season, and a player Xx scores 20 Goals.
But the whole team just won less points than expected.

And then, they sell that star player who scored 20 Goals, and they buy a weaker player on paper who will score only 10 Goals per Season...
= but then in the next Season, without that key player (with 20 Goals) from the above, suddenly the whole team plays differently, and suddenly they score 80 Goals, +20 goals more than with that key player in the team
-- without him, the hole team plays differently, and they spread the actions and number of shots differently

Again, I am not saying that this IS the case with Alexis, but after his Barca and Arsenal spell, one of these two scenarios is probably correct:
1. he is an awesome player. He has good individual stats, but he was unlucky both in Barcelona and Arsenal, that the rest of his teammates had poor Season in those Seasons when he was in the team, so his individual brilliance wasn't enough for (major) trophies.
2. he is a type of player who has some awesome skills, and he has good individual stats, but apart from individual stats, his presence just don't bring anything special to teams in which he is playing, in terms of much more points than usual, or in terms of trophies.
In shorter, a good player with good individual stats, but not good enough to turn team's results on longer terms (either with a help of other teammates, either as a one man show like Zlatan, Messi or Suarez, who can alone turn club's results).
And more or less, a team will have the same results with him or some other, random, decent player.

Mate have you ever watched Alexis play, what he does off the ball is even more impressive than what he does with it, in fact when he had his period of missing open goals every game the only thing that bailed him out were his constant great attacking runs and his insane work rates in both attack and defense. So to say that "his presence just don't bring anything special to teams in which he is playing" and that he only has stats and skills is just ridiculous.

BBZ8800

Mate have you ever watched Alexis play, what he does off the ball is even more impressive than what he does with it, in fact when he had his period of missing open goals every game the only thing that bailed him out were his constant great attacking runs and his insane work rates in both attack and defense. So to say that "his presence just don't bring anything special to teams in which he is playing" and that he only has stats and skills is just ridiculous.

I don't like Alexis, I had fights with his lovers this summer. (Horrible decisions sometimes, horrible finishing)
I was so glad that we sold him.

Anyway, he is not our player anymore, so no need to fight about him.
I am just still not convinced about him (that he is so good as some fans think).
And I don't think that it was a mistake to sell him. (To make it clear, even current Pedro is not good enough/Barca's world-class level, even though both of them can contribute to the team in some aspects)

Empty

Alexis is not good enough to be an attacker for Barca. End of story. Pedro isn't either, not as a starter, but as a squad player and pivot for the other two (as per against APOEL), it's fine.

Sanchez... I think his touch is not good enough, his finishing is not good enough, his give-an-go is not good enough.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
He's got the best workrate in the world of any forward bar none, that's for sure. He'd be an asset for any team. He injects electricity into the game.

Empty

He's got the best workrate in the world of any forward bar none, that's for sure. He'd be an asset for any team. He injects electricity into the game.

His work rate is on par with Suarez, who Barcelona has now. So we're not losing anything in this respect.

Frodo_FCB

Sanchez in one of my favorite players but the question is, would you take him over Ney or Suarez? Its the best for both sides that he left..Barca style clearly doesnt suit him and he is too good to be in the bench, especially after the WC.

Alexis is a very good player but he isn't in the class of playmakers Ozil, Silva, Hazard, Messi, Cesc, Iniesta etc. He'll get you goals but he isn't someone you can build a team around. Those players impact on games goes beyond numbers.

He's basically a poor mans Ronaldo or Robben. Ozil is still their best player.

BBZ8800

Also, a major team is losing with him because of his poor finishing, poor decisions in key moments, unnecessarily dribblings sometimes, tripping over the ball, being scared in big matches.

He has amazing workrate, but it can't cover some other flaws.

Pedro also has an awesome workrate, but he is far from best forwards in the world in other aspects.

I still think that Alexis shouldn't and wouldn't play in first 11 in any of world's best teams like Barca, Real, Bayern, Chelsea.
Arsenal and Liverpool are teams of his caliber.
But even there he isn't a player who will lead them to the glory (even in a one-man-show, like Suarez, if needed).
He will be good there, but those teams won't get any major improvement in results with him in the team.

Last edited:

André

Most goals and assists in 2014 for club and country:

73: Lionel Messi

71: Cristiano Ronaldo

52: Karim Benzema

49: Alexis Sanchez

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Also, a major team is losing with him because of his poor finishing, poor decisions in key moments, unnecessarily dribblings sometimes, tripping over the ball, being scared in big matches.

The only thing I've seen from him this season is a bit of unnecessary dribbling, but everyone does that sometimes. Everything else you said hasn't happened at all this season.

But even there he isn't a player who will lead them to the glory (even in a one-man-show, like Suarez, if needed).

Actually, that's exactly what he's been this season...

el chilenito

Lmao at you thinking ozil is arsenals best player,that tell you dont even watch the matches and just rate players on their reputation. I think you are thinking about his time in madrid and not ozil in his time for arsenal, ozil for arsenal has been terrible, really inconsistent and invisible for alot of matches, part of the blame is on wenger for not putting him in his favourite position. And sanchez is indeed a player you can build a team on, in fact him being the main man is when he plays best. For example when messi was injured, he was absolutely beasting it, he was the main man in udinese along with di natale, main man in chile, and now the main man in arsenal currently and in all those main roles he was beasting it up., to say he is not a good finisher is laughable and downright stupid, , even in barcelona his conversion rate was among the highest in the league with 30% conversion rate. 39 league goals in 88 matches for barcelona is actually good. And now for arsenal his conversion rate is even higher at 36%, has 8 goals in 7 matches and 13 goals in 20 matches, 16 starts is pretty much imposible to say he is a bad finisher. And his workrate is indeed second to none, he can be mistaken for a defender at times for all the hard work he puts in. for pretty much the second half of arsenal and dormund he was a makeshift lb and nullified pestek.

BBZ8800

Most goals and assists in 2014 for club and country:

73: Lionel Messi

71: Cristiano Ronaldo

52: Karim Benzema

49: Alexis Sanchez

How many missed chances, how many bad key passes, how many bad decisions in key moments?

I am saying the same about Halilovic, if he tries 10 actions during a match, scores 1 Goal and makes 9 bad dribblings/bad passes/bad shots on Goal, was it a good match or a bad match for him then? (Exaggeration)

You can score a goal or make an assist in every match, but if you make too many mistakes in other 9 key moments during a match, you will constantly have decent individual stats, but your team will constantly have average results with you on the field.

Fabregas was a player with awesome individual stats while he was playing in Barca, but whenever he was on a field (on a larger sample, especially in bigger matches), we were just horrible.

Fans of Fabregas can also wave with his stats, but our team was just poor in general when he was on a field.
My opinion is that Alexis is a similar player.
He can have nice individual efforts, a few jugadorazo goals and moments per Season, but in general, teams in which he is playing don't have more points or trophies when he is on the field.
Basically, team plays equally with or without him on the field in terms of points.

He brings some good things to all teams, but he also ruins teams in some other aspects with his horrible decisions in key moments.

BBZ8800

(But even there he isn't a player who will lead them to the glory (even in a one-man-show, like Suarez, if needed).
Actually, that's exactly what he's been this season...

No, he isn't. Look what I meant:
1. Liverpool with Suarez last Season won 84 points in 38 matches, and finished 2nd
-- Liverpool without Suarez has 14 points in 12 matches
-- they will have around 50 points if they will continue this way

2. Arsenal without Alexis won 79 points in 38 matches, and finished 4th
-- Arsenal has 17 points in 12 matches this Season
-- if they will continue with this rate, they will have around 54 points at the end of the Season
-- so, they will earn 15-20-25 points less this Season, with Alexis in their team

Ok, the sample is not large enough, but my point stands:
-- Liverpool was an average team before Suarez
-- they were awesome with him in their team
-- now they are a crap again
-- so, it was a one-man-show in Suarez' case

Alexis and Arsenal?
-- they are even poorer with him in the team this Season, than they were without him last Season

Ok, a lot of factors influence results, but my point stands that Alexis can't bring you huge amount of points alone, like Suarez can

Also, my other point also stands:
= Alexis again has some decent individual stats, but a team in which he is playing, plays weaker in Seasons when he is on the team, than without him

For example when messi was injured, he was absolutely beasting it, he was the main man in udinese along with di natale, main man in chile, and now the main man in arsenal currently and in all those main roles he was beasting it up.

He was "beasting it" as you say, but none team in which he was the main man ever won any (important) trophy.
It couldn't be just an unlucky coincidence.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans