Alexis Sanchez

JonM

The "right attitude" and "working his socks off" is the least, but far from all that's expected from a $35M investment, are you kidding? And you better believe that at that price he should be "that special", very special. He should be fitting in decently and either scoring or creating clear opportunities for others at Barca level, but he's not even close to doing that and, instead, he's ridiculing himself missing goals all alone in front of the goal, plus spending a lot of precious time falling or slipping to the floor, aka "diving" and why? Because the guy on the floor is supposed to be the "victim" and in his head he believes this gains him the support of everybody as in "they can't stop him fairly". How naive. Why should Barca be "understanding" and giving endless chances IOW baby-sitting a $35M investment?

Where does the statement "Spoiled mentality" fit here?

The fans can curse him all they want after the match but booing or whistling their own player, who's already scared shitless of failing, achieve absolutely nothing good and only make things worse. It's not like it will suddenly make him realise he has to aim at the net instead of the stands. I don't think he's that thick.

Pepe Silvia

not sure that sitting him is the right solution, even though in this case there are practically no solutions left. what i'm frustrated at on top of his poor play is the coaching staff not coming out and saying he needs to improve. i know a coach has to protect his players, and rightfully so, but he also has to be strategic and know when and how to light fires. in this case, it would be prudent if tito could jump off his imaginary cloud where alexis is doing well and ask more of him. the crowd was polite to cheer him on but accurate to whistle him as he could have been much better. disclaimer: im in no way promoting our coach to flame alexis openly, but motivating him by having a more honest assessment of his performances instead of coddling him. i don't think coddling is much benefit for alexis right now.

Garrus

Alexis problem isn't laziness and not giving his best on the field for tito to be harsh on him, His problem is lack of confidence, The goal is to loosen the pressure on him, So he can focus on doing his thing, And tap into his talent

Stric

not sure that sitting him is the right solution, even though in this case there are practically no solutions left. what i'm frustrated at on top of his poor play is the coaching staff not coming out and saying he needs to improve. i know a coach has to protect his players, and rightfully so, but he also has to be strategic and know when and how to light fires. in this case, it would be prudent if tito could jump off his imaginary cloud where alexis is doing well and ask more of him. the crowd was polite to cheer him on but accurate to whistle him as he could have been much better. disclaimer: im in no way promoting our coach to flame alexis openly, but motivating him by having a more honest assessment of his performances instead of coddling him. i don't think coddling is much benefit for alexis right now.

I agree, though I must admit, Tito saying how the club needs to support their players and not punish them as long as they try sounded like a pretty straight forward confession from him that Alexis is not doing well. Because whatever the question was, it was obviously about how bad Alexis was, and his answer was in no way a disagreement. He didn't explicitly say it, but obviously he didn't imply that Alexis is doing well.

Pepe Silvia

@ no80s:

it might have something to do with laziness when it comes to diving in his case. it has been stated over and over again that if a person like falcao or messi gets into a scoring position they will attack ferociously and go for the goal/assist instead of take the easy route, and if they fall they get back on feet and keep trucking.

people who might dive in that case take the easy way out 'maybe i can get a penal out of this instead of working harder for the shot/killer pass'. that's laziness.

confidence is a factor for diving as well, but lets hope its not, because if its his confidence that is having him dive and he truly believes he can't do anything better than miss the target, then what was the point of investing all that money for him anyway?

i hope it is laziness in front of goal for that can be fixed with hard work.

and to be clear im not talking about the usual confidence peaks and valleys that every striker has in front of goal, im talking strictly about confidence in terms of diving. so in all fairness, i think looseness is the exact opposite of what he needs to tap into his potential. maybe it is this so called 'looseness' that has alexis thinking no one is noticing his diving in the first place. otherwise, don't you think his teammates and coaching staff would have called him out on the millions of dives he's already committed? it seems that its the casualness that has him thinking everyone's okay with his play. this of course is only a theory, but its worth exploring.

Zachary

How much play time would Manu be giving Alexis under similar circumstances it he were a ManU player competing for play time against RVP, Rooney or even Chicharito? NONE! because ManU is a prestigious team in a highly competitive league where there’s no possible play time for mediocrity. Well, Barca is at the very least equal and, yet, he’s given all kinds of time to waste on the pitch. Are we lesser than ManU? Of course not. So, then, why do we handle this so laid back? Let's ask any ManU fan how much time would he be given at ManU

Leo10

Not only is he lazy in front of goal and chooses to dive but he is also a lazy diver.

His dives are so obvious and non-theatric he should learn a lesson from Tristiano on how to dive properly.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
I didn't even see his last game, but I had a change of heart - SELL!
I've always supported him, sometimes I've been real frustrated but still supported him - but 18 months have passed and I've only seen about 10 game on a level he should consistently be on. Sell, recoup as much as possible and give our youngsters a chance (Tello, Deloufe, Cuenca). I know that he does what he's being instructed to do (track back, don't loose the ball, play it back to midfield, hold on to the ball so we can move up the rest of the team etc) but Tello and Cuenca could do the same for us.

Zachary

In what planet somebody else missing in front of goal is enough to clear Alexis? He must be responsible for his own acts, regardless of what anybody else does. That is just childish justification. Not 1,000 videos/streams can be used to justify his sustained mediocrity. For most top players it happens once in a while, but they do not make it a habit.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I feel sorry for Alexis Sanchez. But for sure, I would not start him in a big game over Villa or even Tello nowadays, let alone Iniesta. Play him in the away games where there's less pressure

Kerrybai

The fans can curse him all they want after the match but booing or whistling their own player, who's already scared shitless of failing, achieve absolutely nothing good and only make things worse. It's not like it will suddenly make him realise he has to aim at the net instead of the stands. I don't think he's that thick.

Whistling and booing is not always directed at the player. It can be a sign from the fans to the manager that he needs to bench a player and start someone else. I see your point but something good can come from it, Tito may come to his sense and realise Sanchez is not Barca quality.

- Let me say some things about this player. At Udinese he was never a prolific goalscorer. His best season was 12 in 33 games. I will defend him when I say we should not expect 30 goals a season from this player as that was never going to happen with him.

- Now here is the main problem I have with Alexis, and it is not his fault as such. Sanchez should never have been bought in the first place. He does not fit into out team.

- What we needed to buy was another Etoo. In 08/09 Messi scored 38 goals and etoo scored 36. Some teams survive with one goalscorer but it is not optimal for us. The reason is that teams with one goalscorer usually play him as an outright striker, but if we do that with Messi we lose his creativity and playmaking ability as a flase 9. Messi can not always be there to get on the end of those chances that Sanchez missed. So instead we have Sanchez to score them... but he was never a great goalscorer in the first place.

- To sum it up we bought the wrong player. We need a striker to play on the wing and convert those chances, not a player like Sanchez, or to a certain extent Pedro. Solution? Start Villa.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans