Alexis Sanchez

MarkYaeger

He gets all those chances because the defenders give him MILES of space. If you watch him closely you can see they barely pay attention to him and they have good reason not to. In the unlikely scenario that he does learn to finish, defenders would start to mark him normally and he would get absolutely no chances.

EXACTLY! I went on a rant a while back, and several members swore up and down that I was nothing short of a retard. They claimed that his work rate, and space-opening capabilities are bar none therefore justifying his starting position. My argument is he's a striker, he should strike. If they need someone to open up space, they have tons of that. Hell, Tello is faster. Defenders just don't bother anymore, and that works against us.

Not only that, it kills morale. Doesn't anyone think Messi, Iniesta, etc. get frustrated at times and that can be detrimental? Sure, there's the fun argument that Messi just gets irritated and scores 2-3 goals, saving the game. But we cannot rely on that. Too risky. If the practiced plays are to feed you the ball and you "score" then you have to score. If the goal is only for you to open up space, fine. But that's not the case clearly. He is supposed to be scoring.

Anyway, I hope he gets better for his own sake. He's a very hard worker with apparently tons of heart; simply not good business to start him over the others IMO.

AvocadoCake

Allas - spot on.

"This video defines Alexis Sanchez. 1) Workrate, to help his team defend, won the ball back 2) Always makes good runs, always asks the ball, always makes himself (or other teammates) available for a pass. 3) doesn't finish (this season), lack of confidence in front of goal. If he could improve the part 3, like he was last season, he'd be Barca's 2nd best striker, like he was last season."

Maybe this link was already posted here, if so sorry, but I couldn't agree more.

Paganinisrvnge

Allas - spot on.

"This video defines Alexis Sanchez. 1) Workrate, to help his team defend, won the ball back 2) Always makes good runs, always asks the ball, always makes himself (or other teammates) available for a pass. 3) doesn't finish (this season), lack of confidence in front of goal. If he could improve the part 3, like he was last season, he'd be Barca's 2nd best striker, like he was last season."

Maybe this link was already posted here, if so sorry, but I couldn't agree more.

Brilliant pass from Messi but HORRIBLE first touch from Alexis. That wasn't even bad finishing. That was just an AWFUL first touch. Great workrate and runs are useless if he completely becomes terrible in a goalscoring opportunity.

MarkYaeger

All the things you listed about him, every other player does as well. That's why Barca IS Barca. You're a forward at the best club in the world; you HAVE to do all those things AND score. This is the big boy league and we're not gonna hand out medals and praise for showing up and running a lot.

Maybe the staff see or know something we don't. Then again, they prob just like the guy personally and will sell in the summer for the precise reasons we're talking about.

oz187

He's not a striker, he's a winger. He has a job to score, but he also has a job to work hard, assist teammates and also to open up space. Tello may be faster, but his movement is not as good. Defenders may not man mark him, but they don't ignore him, they have to follow his runs. This helps open space for other players. In that clip you can see the Granada player running all the way back alongside him instead of ignoring him.

Last edited:

MarkYaeger

He's not a striker, he's a winger. He has a job to score, but he also has a job to work hard, assist teammates and also to open up space. Tello may be faster, but his movement is not as good. Defenders may not man mark him, but they don't ignore him, they have to follow his runs. This helps open space for other players. In that clip you can see the Granada player running all the way back alongside him instead of ignoring him.

I see what you're saying, and def agree. However, it just kills me to see those chances so blatantly wasted time and again. I just like to think guys like delo, tello, villa, etc would at least have a decent shot on goal. And even if it doesn't go in, it could rebound and Messi could clean up (like today).

E

estranged

Really terrible yesterday, I mean I didn't mind the missed chances so much when we won comfortably, but when we're fighting to stay in a game he has no excuse for missing those. However I'd like to add that it's great of him to get into those positions, Pedro didn't even get into dangerous positions...

M

mikecraig

One thing I'm having a hard time understanding is why he is given priority for the first team? What makes him more special over other players? Why not play Tello or Deulofeu.

This is one of the main reasons why I don't even bother watching many Barca games anymore. Retarded to watch it when Alexis is starting.

X 10. The sight of the guy makes me sick

Cule4life

The Culest
How long will the mngt keep playing Alexmiss (to justify his price tag or whatever reason they have) over Tello at the risk of destroying Tello's confidence. In all world class teams you have to fight for your spot and show you are better than others. Just imagine what Tello thinks, no matter how bad Alexmiss plays he's always preferred over me. Wont he lose motivation and his drive to perform to his best. (Just like Villa) By playing a liability who is looking likely to be offloaded in the summer we are destroying a prospect like Tello.

Doobs

The Messiah
I think he needs to play a few games with Barca B. Of course that's not possible but It would help him immensely.

If you look at his game, the only thing that's hurting us ATM is the poor finishing. It funny people call him names and shit now when he was "Asexis" last season. There's no belief in the players, the first sign of poor form and everyone's on their ass. It's a football team. There are 20 plus players in the squad. Not all of them will be upto scratch. They need support and not have pressure heaped on them.

Doobs

The Messiah
One missed chance definitely doesn't constitute poor form :lol:

Its over a period of time/games. I didn't say that about Alexis alone. People shat on Pedro, Mascherano and even Messi as soon as a barren/poor period occurred.

T

tariqo

Allas - spot on.

F*&*& this warkrate

if he can't score from easy chances then he must leave

Last edited:
E

estranged

Well with kindergarten reasoning like that then yes, he is terrible since he misses chances, but he does some things well. Work rate is important in that it helps the team stay in possession and in command, pressing and suffocating the opponent is what Barca's game is about, poor wok rate means less dominance and you'd constantly see sluggish and lethargic performances like those of last years. Pedro also misses some sitters, but people don't jump at his throat as they do Alexis. Somebody mentioned being annoyed at Alexis taking Tello or insert-forward's-name spot, that hasn't been the case for a few weeks since he has been benched, and last night he was subbed relatively early in place of Tello, who also missed a pretty easy chance. Fact is, his all round game isn't that bad, but he really has to grow some balls fucking score once in a while.

Home of Barca Fans