Alvaro Morata

wisconsincule

How quickly we forget that he scored an offside hat trick against us last season.

I would take him on a cheap loan. Morata>LDJ. Immediate upgrade.

Birdy

What makes less sense of all, is that this supposed attempt happens amidst of rumours and leaks
about
Haaland,
and if not, plan B with Vlahovic.

What's the purpose of buying Morata if we are in for a striker in the summer?

ajnotkeith

What makes less sense of all, is that this supposed attempt happens amidst of rumours and leaks
about
Haaland,

We're not in for Haaland, that's painfully obvious after we bought Ferran on a five year contract. We still need to cut like 15 percent off our wage bill to be under the limit, let alone with the space to take a massive earner like Haaland.

We can't make those kinds of transfers. Instead of buying already proven/big club players we need to look for them when they are prospects.

khaled_a_d

We're not in for Haaland, that's painfully obvious after we bought Ferran on a five year contract. We still need to cut like 15 percent off our wage bill to be under the limit, let alone with the space to take a massive earner like Haaland.

We can't make those kinds of transfers. Instead of buying already proven/big club players we need to look for them when they are prospects.

Laporta said we are actually under 70% wage limit after Griezmann deal, and next year we will have more sponsors and fans, budget will be bigger.
I think it is actually obvious we are all in for Halaand, Laporta wants his new Ronaldinho, it is simply his philosophy.
Get a box office star and build around him.
Although, I suspect that Alemany and Planas aren't on the same page. They won't waste a chance on a solid starter on Halaand's dream.

about
Haaland,

It is simple really, we are after him on loan.
We want to take Juve type of deal, take the rest of the deal and offer something for Juve.
Depay and Morata get same net salary, so wages aren't issues.
If we don't see Depay as long term solution, and want Halaand, then off-loading the Dutch to Juve favours us although we will be basically selling Depay for 5M (remaining part of loan deal) and I think we can get twice as that for Depay (whoever think he is worth more than 15M is kidding himself)

Main problem? Atletico has to approve the deal, and they have no reason to help us.
Other problems? Juve doesn't want Depay. they are actually getting Icardi on loan, and we can't give them cash due to ffp.

Birdy

Laporta said we are actually under 70% wage limit after Griezmann deal, and next year we will have more sponsors and fans, budget will be bigger.
I think it is actually obvious we are all in for Halaand, Laporta wants his new Ronaldinho, it is simply his philosophy.
Get a box office star and build around him.
Although, I suspect that Alemany and Planas aren't on the same page. They won't waste a chance on a solid starter on Halaand's dream.

It is simple really, we are after him on loan.
We want to take Juve type of deal, take the rest of the deal and offer something for Juve.
Depay and Morata get same net salary, so wages aren't issues.
If we don't see Depay as long term solution, and want Halaand, then off-loading the Dutch to Juve favours us although we will be basically selling Depay for 5M (remaining part of loan deal) and I think we can get twice as that for Depay (whoever think he is worth more than 15M is kidding himself)

Main problem? Atletico has to approve the deal, and they have no reason to help us.
Other problems? Juve doesn't want Depay. they are actually getting Icardi on loan, and we can't give them cash due to ffp.

I still don't see the need of Morata even for 6 months (most reports talk about at least 18 months: if its a stop gap until Haaland or another striker, what do we with him after the summer?)
Ansu and Ferran can both play as strikers.
And Depay is >>> Morata and is more versatile.

There are far more pressing needs atm.
If we sell Dembele we need ASAP a winger with his profile
It does not make sense from many perspectives

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't think Morata makes sense, but doubt it excludes us from going after Haaland.

Haaland has been Laporta #1 target since he got elected. He'll do whatever it takes to ensure he ends up at Barca, or at least doesn't end up in Madrid.

One of the reasons our wage limit is shit this season is because this board wrote off as much as they possibly could in losses, writing off amortisation on a few transfer I believe.

I still don't see the need of Morata even for 6 months (most reports talk about at least 18 months: if its a stop gap until Haaland or another striker, what do we with him after the summer?)

Yes, I'll rather we sign a winger or at least scout one for the summer if Dembele is sold. Xavi should make due with likes of Depay and Braithwaite until the summer when we can explore options for Haaland & Vlahovic.

Maybe even Ferran Torres as a false 9 with Ansu on the left and Abde on the right.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I'll also say this: Even if Haaland want to lead a project himself and not share the limelight with the player he's touted to be competing for BdO trophies against, Barca have to show ambition and a potential winning project to acquire him.

Signings like Morata doesn't help. Signing a top CB like Kounde, de Ligt, Rudiger and revamping the defence might. Maybe even move on from Busquets and move Frenkie to CDM.

We cannot expect him to agree to join us with signings like this or him alone. We have to make Barca look like a winning project to him and we still need a top CB, a new GK, a LB and RB for that.

Now again, signing Morata whether on loan or for a fee doesn't mean we cannot sign a top CB or make those other important signings, but it doesn't give a great look tbh.

It just looks like we're papering over cracks.

khaled_a_d

The report I read is that we might even think about 18 months, but mainly want 6.
Connecting the dots (which can be really wrong tbh) I think we might give Atletico an obligation for another year loan on friendly terms (10M) if he has met certain criteria with playing time. Don't think Atletico will bite though.

That is very questionable tbh, especially in our system and Xavi ideas.
I think Morata is more capable of open things for midfielders and wingers, far better than Depay.
Sort like Benzema when he had CR7, was a very underrated quality of his.

Don't think Dembele is leaving midseason.
1-I don't think he will be sold, his agent won't allow the club to take any of their potential profit.
2-I don't think we will be able to just force him in the stands like we did with Moriba

And in winter market, there is no winger available of same profile as Dembele, not an improvement over Abde at least.

Barcilliant

Juve and Atleti are the right level for Morata. He is not good enough for Barca even with all our issues.
A 6 month loan is fine but if Xavi is thinking of signing him on a permanent basis he should be shown the door.

MTL_Barca

Morata isn't a terrible player, he would've been okay behind Suarez for example like when we signed Paco back then. Just a decent #9 as a clear sub that can maybe suprise. But right now we're not really in a situation where this makes sense imo, we already have a bunch of mediocre strikers that can't score what we really lack is a long-term world class starter and if we're mainly looking into short term solutions for just the rest of the season at least go for someone who isn't that inconsistent. I mean he'd probably still be somewhat helpful but in times where we should try to save money wherever it's possible that doesn't seem enough. Only scenario where i could see this being beneficial is if we could sell Depay and end up with a net profit overall and cheap wages for Morata, but thats a lot of ifs there...

I want to give Xavi the benefit of the doubt but i have no idea what exactly he sees in Morata. Sure he had the potential to be a great striker but at this point it would need a miracle for him to consistently show that after he already more or less failed at like 5 attempts at other elite clubs.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

Morata isn't a terrible player, he would've been okay behind Suarez for example like when we signed Paco back then. But right now we're not really in a situation where this makes sense imo, we already have a bunch of mediocre strikers that can't score what we really lack is a long-term world class starter and if we're mainly looking into short term solutions for just the rest of the season at least go for someone who isn't that inconsistent. I mean he'd probably still be somewhat helpful but in times where we should try to save money wherever it's possible that doesn't seem enough.

I want to give Xavi the benefit of the doubt but i have no idea what exactly he sees in Morata. Sure he had the potential to be a great striker but at this point it would need a miracle for him to consistently show that after he already more or less failed at like 5 attempts at other elite clubs.

We have? Depay has proven to be utter shit in the center, and seems to be on his way out. Braithwaite is no CF either - in addition to being utter shit. Fati and Ferran could be decent options, but we need them on the wings.

I am really not a fan of Morata at all, but he covers some needs undeniably.

MTL_Barca

We have? Depay has proven to be utter shit in the center, and seems to be on his way out. Braithwaite is no CF either - in addition to being utter shit. Fati and Ferran could be decent options, but we need them on the wings.

I am really not a fan of Morata at all, but he covers some needs undeniably.

Well i don't think Morata just thrown into the team now would significantly out-perform or out-score them, even if they aren't great.

Like i said he'd probably be somewhat helpful, but i don't have confidence in him making the difference between winning EL or not, or finishing top 4 la liga or not. So unless we can overall save money (like selling GOATwaite or Depay in return) or he's really cheap on wages and let's say on loan with no obligation to buy i don't see this being worth it. 5M net wages and like 30M or something obligation to buy would be terrible in our situation, but idk how realistic it is to get him actually cheap/free. Don't think Atletico will just donate us a striker, that's more our thing.

I see the point in getting an actual #9, but Morata just ain't it for me unless we really strike an amazing deal here and basically get him for nothing what i just don't see happening.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Why don't you like him? He played for Pep, he's too young, he's Spanish so a schoolboy, too many are optimistic about him... what is wrong with him exactly?

1. I wasn't struck with any sort of wow effect when watching Ferran's videos

2. we lack pacey wingers, this guy seems as being slowish like Trincao

3. he can't dribble.
So, basically we are getting a slowish winger who can't dribble but can score here and there? Doesn't that sound like a Wallmart version of Griezmann which all of us hated?

4. about psychology, it is too early, but from his body language, face expressions, look in the eye, I am not getting the type of vibes which I would like to see in a winger. A winger needs to be proactive, he needs to lead, provoke, be brave, make things happen.
I don't see much of these personality traits in Ferran.
I have a feeling that even Abde will be a better fit because he is fast, can dribble and has such type of a braver/wilder personality.

Ferran has a better IQ movement, but who cares for that?

5. He is not a winger, he is not a striker

6. He seems to be City's reject, they have let him go way too easily. And Pep is letting go only finished players, shitty players or players with whom he has personal problems like Etoo, Zlatan, Yaya, Mandzukic.

Btw. a funny point: I was watching Star Trek Into the darkness yesterday, and while they were fighting with their superhuman enemy Khan, he said: I was created because people were too peaceful. They needed a part of my blood/DNA/of my animal/warrior/killer nature to help them in wars.
Because in tough moments, you can't win only with IQ, you need a fighting spirit and a killer instinct to win the war.

Immediately I thought to myself: wow, lol. This is so true and a perfect explanation of World cup or Champions league 50:50 KO matches. And why Barca and Pep almost always lose.

When you put all of Ferran's flaws on a paper, the most probable scenario is that he will be some sort of Malcom/Griezmann and that he won't be here in 2-3 years.

Morata at least has a clear role, tons of experience and some decent stats.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

5M net wages and like 30M or something obligation to buy would be terrible in our situation, but idk how realistic it is to get him actually cheap/free. Don't think Atletico will just donate us a striker, that's more our thing.

I agree that it boils down to this.

30m+ is a big no, but I am not worried our current board is stupid enough. Rest depends on how desperate Atletico is to get rid of his wages.

BBZ8800

Fati not a Cf
Ferran not a Cf
Depay not a good Cf

Braithwaite is our only true Cf.

Home of Barca Fans