Andres Iniesta

Manuel Traquete

I love Iniesta, but to say that he is more important then Messi and Xavi it doesn't seem too realistic. Maybe if he would be able to score more goals he would be..one example is the match against Athletic Bilbao where he wasted some good chances.

Let's put it this way: if you were to choose 2 players between Messi, Xavi, Iniesta who you were to have against RM, who would it be?

Andrés and Messi. Simply put, we're not going to dominate without Andrés. Just check our past seasons. Our success is directly related with Iniesta's fitness, all our bad patches have come with him out. Even in 2008/2009 we almost surrendered the league to Madrid when Iniesta was out.

Maria

The last El Clasico at Bernabeu is a good example of how we would manage without Xavi, although maybe in the future Thiago will be able to replace him.

BerkeleyBernie

Iniesta is the most underrated player in history. When I told a friend of mine that he is as good as Zidane ever was (if not better) he was shocked, just like numerous (but decreasing in number) people continue to do.

It's because he makes it look easy. Fred Astaire is said to have remarked, "If it doesn't look easy, you're not working hard enough." People simply don't know how hard it is to do what he does.

ricknattery

1)Well, he's surely up there with Messi and is arguably even more influential.

2)Indeed. Even in 2008/2009, when we lost steam in La Liga it was through Iniesta's absence. He's been the difference maker.

3)Got the games mixed up, edited it now. But still, Iniesta is a huge difference maker for Spain as well.

4)That's probably quite right. Even those who admire Barca seem to focus too much on Xavi and Messi and ignore this absolute genius. I know some people who even compare him to the likes of Ozil or Silva among other lesser players. I mean, WTF? I hope he gets the recognition he deserves in the coming years as an all-time great of the game.

No way Iniesta is more influential than Messi especially considering the amount of goals and assists, perhaps no other player in history would be able to match the influential factor Messi has become for this barcelona. I love Iniesta and I agree he is our second best player when in form but for me Xavi at this point is our second best in general specially because of his fitness, that is a decisive factor to be considered in the overall performance of a player. If Iniesta could be the machine Xavi or Messi are (playing virtually every match for these many years) he would be our second best.

B

barcelonista

I tend to agree he's our most important player on his day (while "on his day" means pretty much all big games in his case). Remember the Arsenal game in Camp Nou last season? Messi got all the praise at the end, but Iniesta won us that game. His assists to the first and especially to the second goal were INHUMAN:

That's how you break a parked bus. Just gliding through the middle. How many times did he make a fool of Xabi Alonso? I mean he literally runs circles around any other midfielder in the world:

He's the difference maker. If he can't stay fit this season, it will be 2010 all over again. Except: we won't win La Liga and the CL but maybe the CdR as the only trophy.

ricknattery

If you think we suffer when Iniesta is not on the pitch just imagine what would happen when Messi is not, especially in a big match. We haven't seen that still cos' he is unhumanly fit

Manuel Traquete

If you think we suffer when Iniesta is not on the pitch just imagine what would happen when Messi is not, especially in a big match. We haven't seen that still cos' he is unhumanly fit

Iniesta is generally a better big match performer. Sure, Messi scores more (obviously) but Iniesta can fully dominate matches. CL Final 2009, all our home CL ties last season in the knockouts. Messi has flashes of unparalleled brilliance, but Iniesta can be more dominant overall. The 2009 CL final is perhaps the best example of Iniesta taking a game by the scruff and dominating it, but it's only one among many. No Iniesta = no Barcelona domination.

B

barcelonista

If you think we suffer when Iniesta is not on the pitch just imagine what would happen when Messi is not, especially in a big match.

I can imagine what would happen. They (Barca without Messi) would win a World Cup trophy ...

ricknattery

Iniesta is generally a better big match performer. Sure, Messi scores more (obviously) but Iniesta can fully dominate matches. CL Final 2009, all our home CL ties last season in the knockouts. Messi has flashes of unparalleled brilliance, but Iniesta can be more dominant overall. The 2009 CL final is perhaps the best example of Iniesta taking a game by the scruff and dominating it, but it's only one among many. No Iniesta = no Barcelona domination.

Sure Iniesta can dominate games better(including big ones) hence why he is a midfielder. But nobody can decide games as Messi(including big ones again) goals and assists, goals and assists, finals, semi-finals you name it. We can win without Iniesta: last year CL semifinal against Madrid is an example. Not all the time of course but we can do it. We are yet to see what happens if Messi is not available for a big game, can't remember any single big game we have faced without him. That's something else to consider in favor of the Argentine, he is available all the time, every game. I seriously believe we would miss a lot more with no Messi, than no Iniesta. We wouldn't be as dominant, possesion wouldn't be so fluent without Iniesta but Messi is guarantee of goals

zanela

The last El Clasico at Bernabeu is a good example of how we would manage without Xavi, although maybe in the future Thiago will be able to replace him.

And we managed to win without Iniesta at Bernabeu in 2009-10. Such examples are not a measure of the player's level of importance. As games are decided by plethora of factors, and isn't just specific to a team's composition.

1)Well, he's surely up there with Messi and is arguably even more influential.

If Iniesta improved his end-product, he'd surely be up there. But what he lacks in goals, he makes up for it with his superior decision making. While messi sometimes tends to overdo things under pressure, Iniesta is calm and delivers under all situations. And that makes him a better bet in the high-octane matches. Our chances of winning such matches double with Iniesta in the side.
But if i had to choose any 2 of our 3 magicians. I'd pick our #6 and #10. If Barca and Spain midfield is the best in the world, its thanks to the X-man. His ability to run and dictate a midfield with li'l to no support is totally unmatched in world football. A reason y he's overplayed the past few years. While we've managed without Iniesta for long spells, i can't fathom what would it be like if it was Xavi instead. He's at the base of the success we've so enjoyed the last decade. He'd be the first name on my team sheet.
My other choice being football's most creative forward and some more. His ability to create something out of nothing is unparalled. And while he can go missing when shrewdly marked, his presence alone lends time and space for his teammates as he's such an intimidating force for any opponent. Hence useful even when he underperforms.

xavi and iniesta because we could play Pedro-Villa-Sanchez up front. anything else would mean cesc in midfield :shakeshead:

Not really.. Thiago in midfield. ;)

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
I really think people are starting to take what Messi does week in and week out for granted.

The mere thought that he hasn't by far the key figure in our success the past 3 seasons is absurd IMO...

Iniesta's and Xavi's roles are frequently underrated in our team, but the abnormal level of football Messi has been producing, on such a consistent basis for 3 full seasons is simply unparalleled.

It has become so 2nd nature to us seeing how he's on a whole different level than anyone else on the pitch, we have got so used to him frequently being the only difference in countless, countless occasions, we have been so spoiled by how efficient this little machine has been for 3 seasons, and counting...

We should be thankful everyday that we are lucky enough to have Messi in our team, its almost like cheating.

ricknattery

I really think people are starting to take what Messi does week in and week out for granted.

The mere thought that he hasn't by far the key figure in our success the past 3 seasons is absurd IMO...

Iniesta's and Xavi's roles are frequently underrated in our team, but the abnormal level of football Messi has been producing, on such a consistent basis for 3 full seasons is simply unparalleled.

It has become so 2nd nature to us seeing how he's on a whole different level than anyone else on the pitch, we have got so used to him frequently being the only difference in countless, countless occasions, we have been so spoiled by how efficient this little machine has been for 3 seasons, and counting...

We should be thankful everyday that we are lucky enough to have Messi in our team, its almost like cheating.

View attachment 4080

Home of Barca Fans