Andres Iniesta

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Zico was one of the best but I don't really consider him in that AM/CM range because his role as a goalscoring outlet. He's more comparable with the likes of Maradona/Ronaldinho

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
In my honest opinion Iniesta is not the greatest ever... Not even the top 5. As good as his ball control is(beastly :lol:), he doesn't have the aura of true legends, like say Maradona, Zidane etc. He is a game changer in his own rights yeah, but he does need a prolific partner in crime.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
In my honest opinion Iniesta is not the greatest ever... Not even the top 5. As good as his ball control is(beastly :lol:), he doesn't have the aura of true legends, like say Maradona, Zidane etc. He is a game changer in his own rights yeah, but he does need a prolific partner in crime.

Well to be fair, most players don't get that "aura of legends" until they near retirement or are retired. For example, these days there are so many "hipster" football fans that try to feel superior by downplaying modern players like CR, Messi, or Iniesta and then wildly idolizing old players like Zidane, Ronaldinho, or even Drogba ffs. Those guys are legends (bar Drogba) but some people act like it's impossible for current or future players to ever reach their level as if they were supremely untouchable.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Well to be fair, most players don't get that "aura of legends" until they near retirement or are retired. For example, these days there are so many "hipster" football fans that try to feel superior by downplaying modern players like CR, Messi, or Iniesta and then wildly idolizing old players like Zidane, Ronaldinho, or even Drogba ffs. Those guys are legends (bar Drogba) but some people act like it's impossible for current or future players to ever reach their level as if they were supremely untouchable.
I know don is primarily a CM... But more often he plays as an attacking mid fielder. He does show humongous dribbling ability and a great control on the ball, more than any other mid fielder currently, but as long as he remains goal shy he would never be as great as the legends in my opinion. I think Xavi is an all time great even though he is goal shy because he has proven his ability as a game changer many a time... I just don't see Iniesta having that effect on a team! Not yet anyway!!

By aura, I meant the fear aspect more than the respect they demand...

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
are you implying that iniesta has not shown his ability to change a game?.
well, kinda yeah. But my memory is piss poor though. He probably did change a game coming on as substitute

As I said, Iniesta does need a partner in crime to influence a game... So he is a great mid fielder, but in my opinion cannot be ranked over the legends.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Iniesta has consistently been a driving force for the team, whether it shows in stats or not is something entirely different. He's also very clutch with his goals (CL semifinal, WC final). I'll be willing to say that no one on our team, not even Messi, is as consistent over the entire 90 minutes of a game as Iniesta is.

There are other players who just reach legend status for being insanely clutch players but not being entirely consistent otherwise. I find it wrong to say that those players deserve to be commended because while they don't show up in "lesser" games, they show up when it matters. As if the buildup to the final isn't as important as the final itself. Those guys get the glory, but it's the players who can take the reigns for the entire season that really deserve more credit.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Iniesta has consistently been a driving force for the team, whether it shows in stats or not is something entirely different. He's also very clutch with his goals (CL semifinal, WC final). I'll be willing to say that no one on our team, not even Messi, is as consistent over the entire 90 minutes of a game as Iniesta is.

There are other players who just reach legend status for being insanely clutch players but not being entirely consistent otherwise. I find it wrong to say that those players deserve to be commended because while they don't show up in "lesser" games, they show up when it matters. As if the buildup to the final isn't as important as the final itself. Those guys get the glory, but it's the players who can take the reigns for the entire season that really deserve more credit.
Well clutch is the word I was looking for... Thanks for that man. I find his goal against Chelsea more of a clutch influence than the one in WC final. In my opinion he should be able to provide such influence more often to be considered the greatest.

He is a consistent performer yeah... I give him a lot of credit for that. That is the reason he is considered the best mid fielder from the current generation anyway. But what I am trying to say is he needs partners performing well too to have that influence. In a way that is true for every footballer. But all the greats were great leaders, pushing the team on for greater performance even against a far better opponent. I just don't see Iniesta having that kind of leadership influence on a team. May be he would never even have to, considering he is always surrounded by a great team

jamrock

iniesta is a clutch as they come/influential as they come

06cl. final
09 cl sf n final
10 wc qf and final
euros
11 final get was good too

he has had more influence on big games than zidane

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Well clutch is the word I was looking for... Thanks for that man. I find his goal against Chelsea more of a clutch influence than the one in WC final. In my opinion he should be able to provide such influence more often to be considered the greatest.

He is a consistent performer yeah... I give him a lot of credit for that. That is the reason he is considered the best mid fielder from the current generation anyway. But what I am trying to say is he needs partners performing well too to have that influence. In a way that is true for every footballer. But all the greats were great leaders, pushing the team on for greater performance even against a far better opponent. I just don't see Iniesta having that kind of leadership influence on a team. May be he would never even have to, considering he is always surrounded by a great team

I agree that there were players who did lead their teams better than Iniesta. That's not his job. However I don't think that it means he isn't among the best. The quiet men in the background doing their jobs are just as influential as that loud/proud leader who becomes the face of the team. Hell I doubt that he could ever even obtain that if he tried, with Messi being such a massive influence on the team's play and the team's image. But I find that more of a "representative" kind of thing. Like when commentators say "Messi and Barcelona" or "Ronaldo and Madrid" or "Rooney and United" they are referring to the most famous players who form that public image of the team. In a star studded squad like Barcelona, Iniesta lives in the shadow of Messi. That doesn't make him any less of a player. He produces his brilliance, he pulls the team on in difficult times even if he isn't that assertive and dominating player who gets the credit for it.

Stric

iniesta is a clutch as they come/influential as they come

06cl. final
09 cl sf n final
10 wc qf and final
euros
11 final get was good too

he has had more influence on big games than zidane

+ 2 ECs + being the best player at the 2012 EC.

Home of Barca Fans