Andres Iniesta

Ursegor

World Champion
Iniesta's clutch moments go far beyond the obvious 09 semi-final goal or 10 WC final goal. Even Barca fans seem to forget it though. For example I don't hear anyone talking about his R16 performance against Arsenal in 10/11 where he created 2 out of 3 goals out of nothing.

Who pressures Fabregas, gets past him with a little croqueta and then dinks the ball inbetween 3 defenders to Messi? Iniesta.

Who slaloms through the heart of Arsenal's defense to create Xavi's goal? Iniesta.

But he didn't score and Messi scored a goal and a penalty so the headlines were "Messi brace ensures Barca place in the quarter finals" or something in that manner. There is no way you can get the individual recognition you deserve that way. A player who scores 90+ goals in a year and dishes out 30+ assists will overshadow anything and anyone.

One of Iniesta's most underrated abilities is his positional intelligence. Dude wins balls back in midfield like a defensive midfielder. I only started to notice this against Milan this year:

Then I paid attention and he does this a LOT. For example recently against Uruguay he won the ball back against Suarez deep in his own half and started the counterattack for Soldado's goal. Players like Zidane never did that much midfield work. He had his Vieiras and Makeleles and Deschampses who did the midfield work for him so he could solely concentrate on creating in the final third. Like Özil right now in Real Madrid. In that sense Iniesta is a more complete player than Zidane was.

Elite-BkD

Another great clutch moment:

Great goal in a very tough game. And that's the thing, it's not always about the stage/opposition, whenever he's playing and Barca for whatever reason are kind of 'up against it', he is brilliant and steps up his game. It's ridiculous how many times the goalscorers get far too much credit for their scoring as though they saved the day when the team as a whole was well functioning and soundly outplayed the opposition all over the pitch.And yes^ good call on his positioning.

abual3bed1

This goal against Valencia got the teams's league campaign on for real after that draw against Mallorca and loss to Hercules at home, and specially after a very poor performance in the 1st half of that game. I see it as a decisive turning point that season.

footyfan

Calma, calma
A player who scores 90+ goals in a year and dishes out 30+ assists will overshadow anything and anyone.

One of Iniesta's most underrated abilities is his positional intelligence. Dude wins balls back in midfield like a defensive midfielder. I only started to notice this against Milan this year:

Then I paid attention and he does this a LOT. For example recently against Uruguay he won the ball back against Suarez deep in his own half and started the counterattack for Soldado's goal. Players like Zidane never did that much midfield work. He had his Vieiras and Makeleles and Deschampses who did the midfield work for him so he could solely concentrate on creating in the final third. Like Özil right now in Real Madrid. In that sense Iniesta is a more complete player than Zidane was.

It's an exaggeration that he wins it back like a DM but I agree with the rest of your post.

It's impossible to gain recognition like Zidane, Pirlo or whoever when you have Messi in your team. And it's not unfair either, because scoring 90+ goals is much harder than performing like Iniesta. He's just unlucky that way, much like Ronaldo (who can become Madrid's all time top scorer - ridiculous! - in a couple of seasons). You can always tell his real value when he plays for Spain with more freedom.

As for someone saying he's the most consistent over 90 minutes for Barca. I disagree, I would wager it's Xavi or Busquets. Anyways, it will be always be heavily biased towards midfielders because they get the most touches on the ball and are the most involved in the game.

Performing well without any kind of involvement can mostly be even harder, example Valdes/Pedro/Alexis/Villa and even Messi to an extent.

J

jiopi

That's just absurd, Iniesta isn't really good defensively at all, and is really average getting the ball back.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
That's just absurd, Iniesta isn't really good defensively at all, and is really average getting the ball back.

I'd say he's better defensively than Pedro/Alexis who always get credit for that sort of workrate. The Don isn't DM good, but he does have pretty good positional intelligence. He stands his ground and contains opposing players very well deep on the left-center area so that Alba has time to run back and get in defense.

jamrock

iniesta who played many a game at dmed isn't good defensively, he is no bouquets/maka but he knows how to position himself defensively and win back the ball

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
iniesta who played many a game at dmed isn't good defensively, he is no bouquets/maka but he knows how to position himself defensively and win back the ball

iniesta_bouquets.png

Sorry man, I had to :lol:

J

jiopi

I'd say he's better defensively than Pedro/Alexis who always get credit for that sort of workrate. The Don isn't DM good, but he does have pretty good positional intelligence. He stands his ground and contains opposing players very well deep on the left-center area so that Alba has time to run back and get in defense.
Well he's supposed to be better defensively because he plays deeper, but no, all three have roughly the same amount of interceptions, tackles and so on.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Well he's supposed to be better defensively because he plays deeper, but no, all three have roughly the same amount of interceptions, tackles and so on.

Pressuring fullbacks into kicking it out of play isn't the same as providing cover for an isolated defender who needs time to run back and get into position. All tackles are recorded the same in stats but what Iniesta does sometimes could be pretty important in preventing a goal.

Elite-BkD

Yeah, Iniesta's stats are always better and more important, I get that.

Here's a neat idea, watch a match (attentively) and try to develop and express your own conception of what's going on which will of course be based on what you observe during the match. Much better than looking at stats and saying something that seems consistent with them. You literally have to have never paid attention to Iniesta for so much as two successive matches if you really believe that he's ordinary in terms of positioning and his defensive duties, that's just absolute madness.

Home of Barca Fans