Andrés Iniesta

Elite-BkD

...Maybe Iniesta and Xavi aren't instructed to launch counters as quickly as possible, instead of being incapable? That would be a reasonable assumption.
We've seen a few times that the style of play changes in a big way when Cesc is subbed on for one of Iniesta or Xavi at around 60-70 minutes and they start to look a lot more aggressive and dangerous in terms of creating chances. There are a few key factors that contribute toward that effective looking attack that we often close down matches with, and Xavi/Iniesta bossing matches and exhausting opposing teams (mentally especially) like they do best is definitely one of them.

footyfan

Calma, calma
...Maybe Iniesta and Xavi aren't instructed to launch counters as quickly as possible, instead of being incapable? That would be a reasonable assumption.
We've seen a few times that the style of play changes in a big way when Cesc is subbed on for one of Iniesta or Xavi at around 60-70 minutes and they start to look a lot more aggressive and dangerous in terms of creating chances. There are a few key factors that contribute toward that effective looking attack that we often close down matches with, and Xavi/Iniesta bossing matches and exhausting opposing teams (mentally especially) like they do best is definitely one of them.

I think we should be careful not to over think tactics too much, a lot of the actions that players take on a pitch are instinct-based, of course these instincts have been shaped through their playing careers. Maybe Xavi has become so used to seeing a wall in front of him that now he fails to recognize possible opportunities for direct passes as consistently as he used to; i.e his style has just changed.

Iniesta's troubles I feel are a lot more temporary, he will definitely be back to his very best in no time.

BerkeleyBernie

Hehe. I do stuff like that, did it today. It's funny- the opposition expects you to dribble or pass quickly (because that's what most players would do), but if you are calm and don't commit, you just find the hole when they commit. It's actually easier going up against two defenders, because they aren't sure exactly what the other is going to do, so they hesitate.

Gohan

Super Saiyan
Hehe. I do stuff like that, did it today. It's funny- the opposition expects you to dribble or pass quickly (because that's what most players would do), but if you are calm and don't commit, you just find the hole when they commit. It's actually easier going up against two defenders, because they aren't sure exactly what the other is going to do, so they hesitate.

Doing the same stuff Iniesta does? Tata should sign you :tito:

BerkeleyBernie

Doing the same stuff Iniesta does? Tata should sign you :tito:

:lol: Iniesta is the best in the world, but anyone can learn from the principles behind his excellence, which are: efficiency, control, and precision. He only uses as much effort as is required, which means he always has extra to accelerate. He keeps the ball on his foot so it can be moved in any direction he choses, and when he moves the ball, he does so accurately. Iniesta is an Aikido master who uses the effort of his opponent to his own advantage.

Most people I play with play with much higher effort than I do, so I use that to my advantage. I took out one of the better players the other day in pickup by simply showing one way, then moving the other, mostly just by turning my hips to show a back pass; if I moved the ball, it was just a few inches. He ended up on his ass trying to adjust, thank the Don.

Vapor

:lol: Iniesta is the best in the world, but anyone can learn from the principles behind his excellence, which are: efficiency, control, and precision. He only uses as much effort as is required, which means he always has extra to accelerate. He keeps the ball on his foot so it can be moved in any direction he choses, and when he moves the ball, he does so accurately. Iniesta is an Aikido master who uses the effort of his opponent to his own advantage.

Most people I play with play with much higher effort than I do, so I use that to my advantage. I took out one of the better players the other day in pickup by simply showing one way, then moving the other, mostly just by turning my hips to show a back pass; if I moved the ball, it was just a few inches. He ended up on his ass trying to adjust, thank the Don.
lol does Iniesta really practice Aikido or was that just an analogy? And do you practice aikido/any of those "soft" martial arts? (tai-chi etc). The principles behind those... namely minimal effort and all the things you described, really do make a world of difference in football or any sport.

He really is great to watch though, supremely relaxed and graceful on the pitch.

Last edited:

Darko

Its all about his calmness and composure,the dude is just standing there like nothing is happening,I would totally panic and lose the ball.

BerkeleyBernie

lol does Iniesta really practice Aikido or was that just an analogy? And do you practice aikido/any of those "soft" martial arts? (tai-chi etc). The principles behind those... namely minimal effort and all the things you described, really do make a world of difference in football or any sport.

He really is great to watch though, supremely relaxed and graceful on the pitch.

:lol: It was an analogy. I suspect most pro players have little time to develop other physical skills (though Ibra obviously practices some martial art).

Yes, I've done several: Aikido and Tai Chi back in college, and later capoeira (which is all about reacting to attacks in close quarters with fluid escapes). I was also a professional tap dancer, and if you want to tap/improvise at fast tempo, you have to be really relaxed, as well as be able to change balance from foot to foot rapidly. All of that helps my play.

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

Its all about his calmness and composure,the dude is just standing there like nothing is happening,I would totally panic and lose the ball.

Yup, that's the trick. On the flip side, it's probably why he takes less shots, or is less prone to directness like Cesc. He doesn't have that hair-trigger wound-spring instinct. He's surgical.

Home of Barca Fans