Andres Iniesta

Kerrybai

It's too early to give up on him and with the transfer ban we need him to stay, however if his form does not pick up this season then we should find his replacement during the Winter period of 2015/2016, whether that be on the transfermarket or from our current crop of players.

Gooch

He's slowed down, like all his teammates of the great era. That's life, but I for one like to watch great players even as they age and are less effective. Buy sell buy sell for me is soulless and unpoetic. Keep Xavi and Iniesta, put them on different training regimens, and let us enjoy watching them a bit more. But what do I know - I was delighted to find UD Las Palmas' King's Cup match online just so I could watch Juan Carlos Valeron one more time.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Noone said he is finished as a footballer.
Is he the same player that he used to be 3 years ago? No
I've been following Barca since Cruyff and noone can call me fickle. I don't care what the player's name is, noone is bigger than Barca.
Pep earned 6 times less probably when he left Barca because he decided he isn't good enough for the team. So let's not build shrines for Iniesta.

Question for debate is: Can he again play on a high level every week.
After watching him decline for few years now and having turned 30, I think it's more than valid to raise that question.

If his motivation is gone, maybe it's time for him to focus fully on his wine business and not taint the legend.

DinhoR10

Has iniesta ever had a full season or even a season when he is on form for the majority of games? Every season going back to when he debuted I remember him having issues. Maybe 10-11 but he's had down periods in everyother season that I can remember.

KyletheMuslim

Guardiolista
Has iniesta ever had a full season or even a season when he is on form for the majority of games? Every season going back to when he debuted I remember him having issues. Maybe 10-11 but he's had down periods in everyother season that I can remember.
2010-2011 and 2012-2013 Iniesta was on form all season long

DinhoR10

2010-2011 and 2012-2013 Iniesta was on form all season long

He wasn't always on fire in 2012-2013 from what I remember (even though that might be because the entire team had down times at the end of that season) but even if im remembering incorrectly thats 2 seasons out of his entire career. And he's played well at times this season so he hasnt "lost it" just like last season he has all his abilities he just doesnt use them all the time.

KyletheMuslim

Guardiolista
He wasn't always on fire in 2012-2013 from what I remember (even though that might be because the entire team had down times at the end of that season) but even if im remembering incorrectly thats 2 seasons out of his entire career. And he's played well at times this season so he hasnt "lost it" just like last season he has all his abilities he just doesnt use them all the time.
Iniesta is usually one of those players who doesn't play brilliantly all the time, but when he does he plays really well. We need to wait until he becomes fully fit again to judge him

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I've been reading posts along the lines of "Iniesta will return to his best" for a long time now... I think the question that Bojan is asking is legit...

I'm not saying we should sell him or stupid shit like that, just that a future replacement should be here already and that Iniesta should slowly start to pass his role to someone else...

DinhoR10

I've been reading posts along the lines of "Iniesta will return to his best" for a long time now... I think the question that Bojan is asking is legit...

I'm not saying we should sell him or stupid shit like that, just that a future replacement should be here already and that Iniesta should slowly start to pass his role to someone else...

We have 3 players in Rafinha, Suarez and Halilovic who have the potential to replace iniesta. There is also Messi who can slot in there if needed.

Kerrybai

It's true that he has not had many seasons in 'full form'... but the player he is now isn't just off form, its like an imposter has taken over his body. An off form player is usually one playing a bit below their potential, but Iniesta right now is playing so far below his potential that it has become worrying.

He's slowed down, like all his teammates of the great era. That's life, but I for one like to watch great players even as they age and are less effective. Buy sell buy sell for me is soulless and unpoetic. Keep Xavi and Iniesta, put them on different training regimens, and let us enjoy watching them a bit more. But what do I know - I was delighted to find UD Las Palmas' King's Cup match online just so I could watch Juan Carlos Valeron one more time.

This is great but some of us want to Barca to win trophies. Madrid are running away with the league and the CL is tougher than ever, current Iniesta is not helping us achieve our goals.

DinhoR10

Exactly. From those 3 i think Suarez is most likely. Reus/Koke would'nt be bad either.

Suarez is essentially a carbon copy of iniesta style wise so he has an edge. Rafinha is the most energetic and defensively astute and can dribble better than Suarez, but he also has the possibility of playing next to Suarez/Halilovic. Halilovic is the best dribbler and brings the most attacking wise but he may be more suited to RW.

Iarwain

He is riding his reputation train for some time. He went under the radar of serious criticism in both Barca's and Spain's failings even though he was integral in both teams. He has a poor season and still gets Best La Liga Midfielder award and even Ballon d'Or nomination. Hell, he probably thinks there's nothing wrong with his performance.

KyletheMuslim

Guardiolista
He is riding his reputation train for some time. He went under the radar of serious criticism in both Barca's and Spain's failings even though he was integral in both teams. He has a poor season and still gets Best La Liga Midfielder award and even Ballon d'Or nomination. Hell, he probably thinks there's nothing wrong with his performance.

Iniesta was hardly at fault for spain and barca's failings this year, unless we are watching two different matches

Home of Barca Fans