Andres Iniesta

Icarium

Lifestealer
He did not deliver a complete game but there are many instances of best iniesta. Had many great passes, some great touches. Give it some time he can deliver a complete game but he won't be as good as he used to be. But the way he played recently any positive performance gives me hope.

JamDav1982

I did think he was poor, tidy enough on ball but there was next to no midfield control in the game at all.

He and Rafinha played more as individuals to me and there was not much cohesion going forward or defending and forward players rarely given ball in dangerous areas.

I remember at one point Iniesta turning back from a risky pass and player went crazy.... he played it safe to Alba who sprinted and hit shit cross. Recurring pattern.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Like I said in the chat, he looked like a retarded dog chasing a ball tonight - he was 1 second late in everything he did - come on Don, please

BerkeleyBernie

No control? Control was very good, Iniesta was excellent, good pivot and many good attacking passes. Villarreal only got the ball on the counterattack, couldn't touch it otherwise.

JamDav1982

No control? Control was very good, Iniesta was excellent, good pivot and many good attacking passes. Villarreal only got the ball on the counterattack, couldn't touch it otherwise.

Villareal only wanted the ball on the counter attack. They had no interest in taking Barca on at a possession game.

You are mistaking control of game and possession in my opinion.

They countered a hell of a lot through midfield with little to no resistance. Better teams than that will kill that Barca midfield.

FC B

I did think he was poor, tidy enough on ball but there was next to no midfield control in the game at all.

He and Rafinha played more as individuals to me and there was not much cohesion going forward or defending and forward players rarely given ball in dangerous areas.

I remember at one point Iniesta turning back from a risky pass and player went crazy.... he played it safe to Alba who sprinted and hit shit cross. Recurring pattern.

Agreed about the lack of cohesion in midfield though that has more to do with team play rather than individual player performance. Rafinha and him don't have many games starting togheter and Villareal was sharp and well oranised in this match so it was hard to do that.

JamDav1982

Agreed about the lack of cohesion in midfield though that has more to do with team play rather than individual player performance. Rafinha and him don't have many games starting togheter and Villareal was sharp and well oranised in this match so it was hard to do that.

Yeah totally agree it is to do with team play. It seemed similar to the Atletico game in that Lucho told the front three to stay up park but the flip side of that is the midfield need to be strong defensively to cover for lack of numbers helping them.

Personally I didnt think they were. Rafinha was chasing the ball too much and getting up with front three while Iniesta really seems to struggle to make it back.

F

Flavia

Villareal only wanted the ball on the counter attack. They had no interest in taking Barca on at a possession game.

You are mistaking control of game and possession in my opinion.

They countered a hell of a lot through midfield with little to no resistance. Better teams than that will kill that Barca midfield.

Yes, spot on. Iniesta had some moments on attack, but he wasn't controling the match, nor the midfield.

BerkeleyBernie

When has Barça ever "controlled the midfield" on a counterattack? They've always tried to prevent the pass out from the back, or, at worst, tactically foul in the opponent's half. So that's more a matter of team pressing than the midfield scrambling back. Credit Villarreal for getting players forward, decent passing, and not being impatient with their buildup.

In any case, Villarreal had 3 shots on target: the Vietto (Busquets in the box sleeping for late arriving player), the fortunate deflected goal, and a weak Vietto header. Barca controlled the game and created more dangerous opportunities.

JamDav1982

When has Barça ever "controlled the midfield" on a counterattack? They've always tried to prevent the pass out from the back, or, at worst, tactically foul in the opponent's half. So that's more a matter of team pressing than the midfield scrambling back. Credit Villarreal for getting players forward, decent passing, and not being impatient with their buildup.

In any case, Villarreal had 3 shots on target: the Vietto (Busquets in the box sleeping for late arriving player), the fortunate deflected goal, and a weak Vietto header. Barca controlled the game and created more dangerous opportunities.

Part of being the midfield in a possession based game is to stop teams on the counter attack and keep control of game off the ball as well as on it.

Villareal had acres of space on the counter through midfield.

Only some good defending by back four stopped it being any worse.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Improved a lot in the 2nd half, overall a decent game from him, but did nothing to control our midfield. This needs to be sorted out ASAP.

Home of Barca Fans