Andres Iniesta

CuleLife4Life

Every player is different but I'm afraid my premonition of his early decline was right. I thought he'd have 2-3 more seasons at his prime but like someone else on here said, the decline started 1-2 seasons ago.

I don't want him benched but if I were Lucho, I'd start to give Rafinha serious minutes. If Rafinha impresses while Don still has lackluster performances, we have to sit Iniesta. We finally found our balance and the team is challenging for all 3 trophies. We can't play Iniesta because he is Iniesta.

F

Flavia

Every player is different but I'm afraid my premonition of his early decline was right. I thought he'd have 2-3 more seasons at his prime but like someone else on here said, the decline started 1-2 seasons ago.

I don't want him benched but if I were Lucho, I'd start to give Rafinha serious minutes. If Rafinha impresses while Don still has lackluster performances, we have to sit Iniesta. We finally found our balance and the team is challenging for all 3 trophies. We can't play Iniesta because he is Iniesta.

2 seasons ago Iniesta had one of his best seasons. Maybe his swan song.

L

linetty

Yes he can.

I don't think Iniesta has been terrible in the past games. Far away from his usual standard, but not a liability.
Iniesta isn't/wasn't terrible but he's just quite dull these days. Maybe this new system doesn't suit him.

I personally think Rafinha can add a bit more to our game right now. A breath of fresh air

L

linetty

In before he dribbles through 7 guys and #DONISBACK posts :lol:
He did have some typical Don moments against Atleti but it still isn't it. At this point even our youngsters can do the job he's doing with equal effect or even better.

DinhoR10

He did have some typical Don moments against Atleti but it still isn't it. At this point even our youngsters can do the job he's doing with equal effect or even better.

Nah im not saying hes been up to his standards in these games but I've seen him go months being shit then come back and play brilliant so i'm not particularly worried and if he really doesnt make it back i'm currently liking rafinha's progression. But i'd just like to day that Andres still has all of his abilities he hasn't lost anything, he's just not using it for whatever reason. Earlier this season he ran through an entire side only to miss the goal in typical Don fashion so I don't know if he's not confident enough or doesnt have the drive anymore but when he wants to be he's still the best midfielder in the world (Messi seems to want to take that title from him though :lol: )

BerkeleyBernie

Many here focus on moment of flash rather than look at the entire performance of a player in context with the team. One of the most important aspects overlooked is positioning and reading of the game, and that is a quality that 1) some players are naturally far more savvy than others, and 2) is a skill that improves as players mature. You simply don't often see it in young players. Thiago was an exception, as he was clearly a talented student of Xavi in that regard, trying to develop as a CM in addition to his already considerable skills as an attacker.

Rafinha shows many great flashes of attacking skill here and there, but he went entirely missing in his position in the first half against Elche, leaving Alba and Neymar to attack on the left on their own. Sergi Roberto is a solid strong player, but has a tendency to drive the ball into dead ends. And so on. Not anywhere close to Iniesta in reading the game, yet people only focus on the quantity of individual attacking moves, rather than evaluate how the players function in the system.

With Iniesta or Xavi, you get masters of reading the game and positioning. You already have three attackers in Neymar/Suarez/Messi, and if Rakitic joins them, it's safer to have someone in the midfield helping glue the team together. Iniesta has been sitting a little deeper to allow Rakitic to attack, and will still occasionally see the chip over the top or through ball for Neymar/Alba, or cross for a run at the back post. With Rafinha, assuming he plays with the same lack of positioning he did in the first half against Elche, you risk a gaping hole in the left midfield for Busquets to cover by himself (until the chipmunk can catch up getting back). Might get away with that against Elche, but beware that space against sharper counterattacking teams.

Iniesta/Xavi and Rafinha/Rakitic/Roberto against strong teams. Only one of the "R" players at a time when Barça can't afford the risks of less positionally aware and disciplined players.

Icarium

Lifestealer
He was very good today. Probably the best of the season. It is strange though we finally had 2 mids performing amazingly but we barely won and had no control. I guess iniesta and rafinha are not a great combination. Rakitic rafinha we should try that.

JamDav1982

He was very good today. Probably the best of the season. It is strange though we finally had 2 mids performing amazingly but we barely won and had no control. I guess iniesta and rafinha are not a great combination. Rakitic rafinha we should try that.

All about opinions but I thought he was poor. Midfield had no real control of game and didnt move ball quickly. Still too safe most of the time.

Home of Barca Fans