Andres Iniesta

DinhoR10

You're forgetting the part where he steals the ball before he gives the simple pass to neymar. And ofc you won't bring out the assist he gave Messi in the first PSG game. You can say he's been bad without over-exaggerating and cherry picking highlights.

BerkeleyBernie

Whatever the pragmatic advantages of Lucho's Barça, except on rare occasions, it simply lacks the fluid pass-move-receive tempo and elegance of the Guardiola era in which Iniesta thrives. Fortunately, Spain still operates on this principle and provides Iniesta a platform where he can display his beautiful game. Just look at the rhythm, tempo, fluidity, and circularity of Spain's movement here; Barça, by comparison, looks like a bunch of random sluggish particles that gets jostled every once in awhile.

Ukraine, while not top tier, is hardly a scrub team. Shows that Iniesta's "decline" is primarily a function of the "no midfield" system of Lucho's Barça, in which he is slotted to play a primarily defensive withdrawn role. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Last edited:

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
I agree entirely. Call me crazy, and I may be contradicting myself- I have said before how enjoyable it was to see Barca no longer bound by possession football rather a combination of different styles etc. But LE's approach is beginning to leave me feeling so bland after games. It's messy, sporadic, and we don't play with a midfield anymore it was so beautiful to see Iniesta, Busquets, Xavi, or even to see rakitic aka our midfield shine. Idk, I'm honestly not too happy, at least not as much as I was after the new year. It's not enough, not for Barca it isn't what LE Is offering.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
It doesn't help that our central midfielders simply aren't up to it on a regular basis anymore. Let's see what LE can do with a real midfield.

karthik

[vine]https://vine.co/v/OwTKKtuF0gj[/vine]

World Class assist that.

In my opinion, it is a world class way to create space for your team mate. In this case, he made Motta, Veratti and Pastore chasing him, thereby leaving Neymar free on the left. Neymar ran into the space that was left open by the PSG players when they started chasing Andres.

I do not care about the stats, he is different. He is an orchestrator, someone who forms a crucial part of the attacking system of our team.

Alik

Whatever the pragmatic advantages of Lucho's Barça, except on rare occasions, it simply lacks the fluid pass-move-receive tempo and elegance of the Guardiola era in which Iniesta thrives. Fortunately, Spain still operates on this principle and provides Iniesta a platform where he can display his beautiful game. Just look at the rhythm, tempo, fluidity, and circularity of Spain's movement here; Barça, by comparison, looks like a bunch of random sluggish particles that gets jostled every once in awhile.

When we play well this season it also looks good.

Spain on the other hand won't go far playing the way they played against Ukraine.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
I just don't think we're not using Iniesta to his full potential. It's sad really to see such a marvelous player be so dull. I dont completely buy that he has declined. What is he to decline in? Touch, Technique, Intelligence, these things are never victims of age. Physical aspects? He is not an athletic player so i can't accept that as an explanation to his decline, and neither is he at an age such as Xavi where his legs just can't keep up.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo

Ukraine, while not top tier, is hardly a scrub team. Shows that Iniesta's "decline" is primarily a function of the "no midfield" system of Lucho's Barça, in which he is slotted to play a primarily defensive withdrawn role. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Spain also plays with 5 midfielders which shields Iniesta and lessens his other duties so he can be allowed to excel in other areas. Barca plays with 3 midfielders and each midfielder responsibility and duties are far more demanding because of it, which is where Iniesta is struggling. 3 man midfield is just too demanding for his current state as a footballer. Vs Ukraine Iniesta had Busquets and Koke shielding his back, and Isco shielding his wing. Iniesta was free to playmake. Far easier on the individual to divide midfield duties among 5 than among 3.

I bet if Barcelona played a 5 man midfield of Busi, Rakitic, Xavi, Iniesta and Rafinha (like Spain played Busi, Koke, Iniesta, Isco, Silva) with only Messi at forward, Iniesta would perform better. Would Barca be better, I doubt it though.

Gohan

Super Saiyan
What happend to this guy? The magic just seems to be gone even though his physical abilities appear the same?

[youtube][/youtube]

DinhoR10

What happend to this guy? The magic just seems to be gone even though his physical abilities appear the same?

[youtube][/youtube]

I think its cause his mindset is off, in spain he knows he's in charge and does what he thinks is best, for barca right now he's too conservative most of the time and isnt playing to his instincts. Maybe he doesn't trust himself to do the magic while also playing deeper idk.

Mido

I partially do agree with you. What you say is true but Xavi can still display his amazing skills in this system. And I like Iniesta's defensive attitude.

F

Flavia

It's Lucho's tactics guys, I swear.

We all saw how brilliant Iniesta was at World Cup and under Tata. :rakitic:

Yeah, dismissing his clear decline, and blaming tactics is pretty easy. Iniesta has had a few very good games under LE's tactics. The fact it was mostly against easier opposition(huesca, ajax) is very telling.
But he played well against psg too.

IMO, it's not one (tactics) or the other (physical decline) that's responsible for Iniesta's form –*it's both. This is the same spot Xavi was in, until this season/end of last season.

For a long time, Xavi's decline was mainly attributed by some to formation/tactics and they had a point: until this season, our only consistent goalscoring threat was Messi, which meant that most team would to neutralize our attacking threat by marking him heavily even at the expense of giving Alexis/Pedro more freedom; and that forced Xavi to play a lot more conservatively. And yet, his physical decline was undeniable –*and the same goes for Iniesta.

raskolnikov

Physical decline makes no sense for a guy like Iniesta. Xavi is different he cant put up the same workrate like he used to, but he can easily dominate a game as a sub or against weaker opposition, he will Always have the 360 view, you just notice he is physically less than 5 years ago. Only thing I dont get is for example a play where a player makes a run and you can tell Xavi spots it like he always does, yet he chooses to pass it safe sideways rather than risk the troughball like before.

With Iniesta though, how does he rely on physicallity? he is not an athlete, nor does he require the workrate/stamina. Doesnt matter if he is 30 or 40 he will still hav ehis technique/skill/vision/passing. But he gets hassled of the ball more easily, is largely invisible, and isnt the important factor he was in 2012 for example bare a handful of games.
Since he doesnt add anything in output whats the use of him then?

It has to be tactics and perhaps a psychological issue regarding motivation. Iniesta is to good to be playing like this, Lucho needs to figure out a way for our system to work with Iniesta being well in it as well.

Home of Barca Fans